New sq5

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
rileyn

Post by rileyn »

Not keen on styling etc but now seen the sq2 coming with 296bhp/400nw (same 2.0l turbo engine) - seems like Porsche are getting left behind by their stablemates / sibling. Macan also presumably heavier ?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/q2/1 ... newsletter

What about a 2.0l pp? I know that there is the 3.0 but it may plug a gap?

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

rileyn wrote:Not keen on styling etc but now seen the sq2 coming with 296bhp/400nw (same 2.0l turbo engine) - seems like Porsche are getting left behind by their stablemates / sibling. Macan also presumably heavier ?

SQ2 - 4.8sec from 0-100km/h. That is shifting!
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Pivot wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:12 pm
rileyn wrote:Not keen on styling etc but now seen the sq2 coming with 296bhp/400nw (same 2.0l turbo engine) - seems like Porsche are getting left behind by their stablemates / sibling. Macan also presumably heavier ?

new Macan S listed 0-62 (mph) in 5.1 sec so not over impressed with 4.8 sec, or am I missing something ?
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Ray G wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:50 pm

new Macan S listed 0-62 (mph) in 5.1 sec so not over impressed with 4.8 sec, or am I missing something ?
To me the issue is Porsche Vs Audi, yet Audi have the quicker car?? :oops:

I can't help feeling that Porsche are getting left behind and it's getting harder to justify the price tag.
johnd

Post by johnd »

jesim1 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:42 am To me the issue is Porsche Vs Audi, yet Audi have the quicker car?? :oops:

I can't help feeling that Porsche are getting left behind and it's getting harder to justify the price tag.
It'a question of what the comparison is though, surely? Porsche make only two kinds of car - 2-seater sports cars and large or very large 4+ seater SUVs and saloons.

So you can reasonably compare Macan to SQ5 for instance - I suspect most here would still take Macan over SQ5 whatever the price/performance figures. But there is no comparator for eg Q2 or Q3 sized 4-seater vehicles - Porsche don't make cars in that space (sadly, for my preferences). And Porsche are probably missing out on a potentially large market sector as a result. VW group has of course long had a reasonably potent and proven (300+ bhp) 2l engine. Stick that in a Q2/Q3 sized car and you're bound to have strong performance and appeal. If only it were a Porsche!
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

johnd wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:33 am
jesim1 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:42 am To me the issue is Porsche Vs Audi, yet Audi have the quicker car?? :oops:

It'a question of what the comparison is though, surely? Porsche make only two kinds of car - 2-seater sports cars and large or very large 4+ seater SUVs and saloons.

So you can reasonably compare Macan to SQ5 for instance - I suspect most here would still take Macan over SQ5 whatever the price/performance figures. But there is no comparator for eg Q2 or Q3 sized 4-seater vehicles - Porsche don't make cars in that space (sadly, for my preferences). And Porsche are probably missing out on a potentially large market sector as a result. VW group has of course long had a reasonably potent and proven (300+ bhp) 2l engine. Stick that in a Q2/Q3 sized car and you're bound to have strong performance and appeal. If only it were a Porsche!
If we look at what Porsche produce:-
2 sports cars and variants.
1 saloon and variants.
2 SUVs and variants.

Then look at what else is produced within the VW group and there is a lot of overlap.

Personally I would like a smaller version of the Macan, cQ3 sized. But a performance Audi SUV then I would not be interested in that as a performance vehicle imho needs to be designed from the tarmac up and not a general family SUV buggered around with to produce a hot version. I had a Q3 as a stop gap, it was OK around town but get it on the motorway and it was not stable, it twitched, was affected each time I passed a HGV and was very badly affected by poor road surfaces. Whatdo Audi do withtheir SQ models, lower the suspension, stick on hard dampers, bang in a big engine and thats it, hardly cutting edge.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
pmg

Post by pmg »

[quote="Col Lamb"

Personally I would like a smaller version of the Macan, cQ3 sized. But a performance Audi SUV then I would not be interested in that as a performance vehicle imho needs to be designed from the tarmac up and not a general family SUV buggered around with to produce a hot version. I had a Q3 as a stop gap, it was OK around town but get it on the motorway and it was not stable, it twitched, was affected each time I passed a HGV and was very badly affected by poor road surfaces. What do Audi do with their SQ models, lower the suspension, stick on hard dampers, bang in a big engine and thats it, hardly cutting edge.
[/quote]

I would also be in the market for something smaller, especially if the next Macan is Etron sized and based. The Macan 4wd system is rear biassed and the Q5's front biassed. This, the suspension settings and PDK gearbox are what makes the Macan the better drivers car. From memory in the Q3 the engine is not for/aft but transverse which may not be attractive to Porsche conversion for an ICE vehicle.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Why didn't Porsche up the power on the Mk2 2.0 to say 280 bhp? That would surely have helped with marketing the car as the de facto replacement for the now defunct Macan SD. It's not as if somebody considering a V6 Macan S would look at a four cylinder 280bhp as any competition. But it would surely be a more attractive option over other marques offering more power from their 2.0 SUVs :?
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Panthera wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:28 am

Why didn't Porsche up the power on the Mk2 2.0 to say 280 bhp? That would surely have helped with marketing the car as the de facto replacement for the now defunct Macan SD. It's not as if somebody considering a V6 Macan S would look at a four cylinder 280bhp as any competition. But it would surely be a more attractive option over other marques offering more power from their 2.0 SUVs :?
Who knows? Maybe it's VAGs idea of product placement relative to its other brands.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 am I had a Q3 as a stop gap, it was OK around town but get it on the motorway and it was not stable, it twitched, was affected each time I passed a HGV and was very badly affected by poor road surfaces. What do Audi do with their SQ models, lower the suspension, stick on hard dampers, bang in a big engine and thats it, hardly cutting edge.
But possibly you are thinking of the older Audi models here to some extent. I've had a first extended test-drive in the new Q3 and it's a big step forwards from the previous version in many respects. And people say that the latest S/RS models are also a real advance on the older ones in terms of suspension engineering. Don't disagree at all with the thrust of your comment, ie Porsche do a ground-up rear-biased full redesign whereas Audi stick with a more incremental version of their basic front-biased models. But I suspect that any potential comparison may well come out significantly closer than has been true in the past.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly