New sq5

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If we think globally then the 2.0 litre does make sense.

There are many markets where a larger engine size is prohibitively priced even for Porsche buyers.

The 2.0 litre also makes sense if the Macan is a second family car, a quality runabout etc. or if the buyer likes a quality car but performance and handling is not critical for their use.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:01 pm If we think globally then the 2.0 litre does make sense.

There are many markets where a larger engine size is prohibitively priced even for Porsche buyers.

The 2.0 litre also makes sense if the Macan is a second family car, a quality runabout etc. or if the buyer likes a quality car but performance and handling is not critical for their use.
Handling is not an issue, only straight line performance.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Sadly, as an Audi design appreciator, I find the two designs of theirs that (to me) don't work are the Q3 and Q5. I find them dumpy and frumpy in appearance
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

bennachie wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:24 pm Sadly, as an Audi design appreciator, I find the two designs of theirs that (to me) don't work are the Q3 and Q5. I find them dumpy and frumpy in appearance
The Q5 is a seriously dull and uninspiring piece of kit. Porsche did a very good job converting it into something desirable!
johnd

Post by johnd »

bennachie wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:24 pm Sadly, as an Audi design appreciator, I find the two designs of theirs that (to me) don't work are the Q3 and Q5. I find them dumpy and frumpy in appearance
Don't disagree, but not sure why you don't lump in Q7 too? Conceivably Q4 might be a little better and see (FWIW!) that What Car have it pencilled in for June availability.

But the real problem in the Q2/Q3/Q4 space at least is that there aren't too many obvious competitors. T-Roc R or Cupra Ateca both have the performance and arguably better looks, but both are saddled with relatively low-rent soft furnishings, last year's infotainment etc. (And also not helped by the fact that the UK importers seem to think that UK customers don't want electric seats, but which are available in other eg EU markets). It just all combines to make a relatively down-market and less comfortable cabin compared to Macan.

That's the dilemma I'm faced with at present. My SD is a great car but every time I take it on a B road I'm reminded that it just feels a little too heavy and less than nimble (of course it does well for its size and weight, but that's not the point). I really would prefer to have something that still needs to be a 4-seater but rather smaller & lighter. Porsche just don't make anything suitable so some compromise has to be in the air.

If an (R)SQ3 were to appear (which is likely at some point, or maybe an SQ4) then that could provide adequate performance & cabin quality and I'd just have to look past the styling. Or out of what is available right now or imminently then maybe it's the cabin quality that goes and hence T-Roc R or Cupra Ateca gets the nod. Or, as a left field choice, there is still a Polestar'd XC40 T5 - performance might be OK if not sparkling, cabin quality is decent (and quirky/different in a good way) but it's quite a tall chunky drive and obviously less of a driver's car.
Last edited by johnd on Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I am not a fan, but 1’000s of people voted in favour of Q5 with their wallets, so I suspect they find it attractive, or something is in the air.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Paul

Post by Paul »

SQ3 would be on my list.....👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

My brother in law has been looking for a mid sized SUV as his company car. He has both the Q5 and the X3 on his possible list along with a few others. Q5 dismissed early doors as it was going to be thousands more expensive than the BM on a model to model basis
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
rileyn

Post by rileyn »

Just seen this now - v8 900nm diesel in the toureg

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.auto ... neva%3famp

Surely this should be in the cayenne/ Macan?

We’re porsche hasty (or pushed into) dropping diesel? Or are there a few left they are chucking in the vws?

Strange.......
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

rileyn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:39 pmWe’re porsche hasty (or pushed into) dropping diesel?
On the contrary, it differentiates Porsche from its competitors. Let's face it, diesel cars only exist to save their owners money. Money no object, I doubt many people would want the diesel unless they really needed the low down torque (e.g. to pull a caravan).
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS