New sq5

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

PaulR wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:18 pm
rileyn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:39 pmWe’re porsche hasty (or pushed into) dropping diesel?
On the contrary, it differentiates Porsche from its competitors. Let's face it, diesel cars only exist to save their owners money. Money no object, I doubt many people would want the diesel unless they really needed the low down torque (e.g. to pull a caravan).
The issue with money-no-object is that this is not the case for most people and the increase in Porsche sales has largely been driven by the Macan. Although the diesel variant may have been a small proportion of all Macan sales (according to Porsche https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... iants-line - I imagine a bigger proportion in the UK than worldwide), those who prefer an oil-burner in their SUV are likely to go to another marque. I love my Macan SD and have to say would be reluctant to get the 2.0 petrol Mk2 as although similar BHP doesn't have the same grunt that I like in the V6 diesel unit. And I'm not even towing a caravan :lol: I also appreciate the real-world MPG economy of the SD. Fair to say I will be keeping my Macan SD for the long term :)
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Panthera wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:54 am
PaulR wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:18 pm
rileyn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:39 pmWe’re porsche hasty (or pushed into) dropping diesel?
On the contrary, it differentiates Porsche from its competitors. Let's face it, diesel cars only exist to save their owners money. Money no object, I doubt many people would want the diesel unless they really needed the low down torque (e.g. to pull a caravan).
The issue with money-no-object is that this is not the case for most people and the increase in Porsche sales has largely been driven by the Macan. Although the diesel variant may have been a small proportion of all Macan sales (according to Porsche https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... iants-line - I imagine a bigger proportion in the UK than worldwide), those who prefer an oil-burner in their SUV are likely to go to another marque. I love my Macan SD and have to say would be reluctant to get the 2.0 petrol Mk2 as although similar BHP doesn't have the same grunt that I like in the V6 diesel unit. And I'm not even towing a caravan :lol: I also appreciate the real-world MPG economy of the SD. Fair to say I will be keeping my Macan SD for the long term :)
Given the relatively small diesel market (for Porsche that is), changing customer demand (toward petrol & hybrid) and unfavourable legislation; it's hardly a surprise that Porsche made the decision to drop diesel. Diesel is not even part of the Porsche heritage anyway, so a relatively easy decision for them. Porsche sell more cars in China than the whole of Europe, so focusing their attention on EVs at this point in time now represents a much bigger opportunity. The US won't even notice that diesels have gone either. I think Porsche are making sensible forward thinking decisions here and the short term loss of diesel sales in the European market is of little consequence. Why should VAG care anyway if Macan diesel customers turn to buying Audi and VW diesels in the near future? They've pretty much got the whole market covered across their different brands!
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Bit late to the party but as I have got an SQ5 then I’ll give my views, especially as I originally placed an order for a Macan GTS...

Firstly the iPad comments... everyone has a view but let me just note that it works. It’s in the right place, you can see it easily without taking eyes too far from the road and the MMI interface is good. I also have virtual cockpit and HUD and much prefer it to the dash layout and multitude of buttons in the Macan (I amcomparing to prefacelift).

Exhausts - I reverse in, rarely see them, it’s only when I see threads like this that it reminds me. Would I prefer proper exhausts - probably, but nothing too obvious (I had a Golf GTi not an R - 4 pipes on a 4 pot is a bit OTT in my view). It’s not a dealbreaker for me.

I really like my car. I don’t regret getting it over the Macan at all. Why? Because what I wanted was a quick, discrete, mile muncher that could cover motorways and highways in refinement, comfort and with enough space for passengers and my dog in the boot. It might not drive country roads with the verve of a Macan - so what, that’s not my type of motoring or driving. It’s fast enough, quiet most of the time, comfortable, well equipped and specious enough.

Oh, and I prefer the looks inside and out. And I can go to work and my colleagues don’t think I am massively overpaid as I only drive an Audi (debadged of course)....
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Lots of good points :D :D :D
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

ScotMac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:08 pm Lots of good points :D :D :D
Yeah, but SQ5 v Mac GTS 🤔 if you keep saying it long enough maybe you can convince yourself but this is a Macan forum so we're not buying it :lol:
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

MikeM wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:17 pm
Yeah, but SQ5 v Mac GTS 🤔 if you keep saying it long enough maybe you can convince yourself but this is a Macan forum so we're not buying it :lol:
You buy what suits you, I will buy what suits me. I wouldn’t swap for a GTS of same age and mileage now.

Pretty sure my dog wouldn’t either!

Sometimes it’s about how a car fits your life and not the badge it wears or the magazine reports...
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I would imagine your SQ5 will have cost you more than a GTS would have due to weaker residuals. This will perhaps get worse as the petrol SQ5 really hasn't been a success and the launch of the diesel is Audis attempt to try to bring it back in vogue despite the world demonising diesel.
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

MCDK wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:30 pm I would imagine your SQ5 will have cost you more than a GTS would have due to weaker residuals. This will perhaps get worse as the petrol SQ5 really hasn't been a success and the launch of the diesel is Audis attempt to try to bring it back in vogue despite the world demonising diesel.
I bought it on PCP to get the benefit of the GFV. The Macan was £14k more after discount on Audi - if it is going to be worth £14k after 4 years to keep the £ depreciation the same, it would have to be worth £40k in round numbers... will it be worth that? maybe but Porsche wouldn’t guarantee it and that meant it was a risk.

But it doesn’t matter, even if the Audi ends up costing a few quid more it suits my needs better.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Have had a Macan and wife has a Q5 so when I chopped in for a 911 I offered for my wife to keep the Macan but she preferred to keep the Q5. Apparently the Macan GTS was a bit scarey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Isleaiw wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:56 am
MikeM wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:17 pm
You buy what suits you, I will buy what suits me. I wouldn’t swap for a GTS of same age and mileage now.

Pretty sure my dog wouldn’t either!

Sometimes it’s about how a car fits your life and not the badge it wears or the magazine reports...
Badge, magazine what's that 💩all about? My dogs are not great car experts but they do like to wax lyrical as they lick their own bollocks 🤔😂
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6