New sq5

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Oh dear, ner ner ner ner ner, my car's better than yours. Does anyone expect any owner to post on any forum saying their car is a load of crap? For the record, my back took a right beating when I tested the SQ5. Personally, if I wanted to go that fast, I wouldn't buy an SUV. The BMW X3M is mighty quick and handles really well but look frugly in my eyes.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:21 pm Oh dear, ner ner ner ner ner, my car's better than yours. Does anyone expect any owner to post on any forum saying their car is a load of crap? For the record, my back took a right beating when I tested the SQ5. Personally, if I wanted to go that fast, I wouldn't buy an SUV. The BMW X3M is mighty quick and handles really well but look frugly in my eyes.
Not sure I said it was better, just suited my needs better. I’d love a 911 but given my age (and bad back!) something higher is better..

It wasn’t really bought for the speed, more the refinement. When it only does 12000 a year the difference in fuel costs is negligible in the scheme of things...
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Crickey, you have a bad back and an sq5! I had a twenty minute test drive in one and had to abort as my relatively healthy back was killing me. This one didn't have air suspension though. The fake exhaust issue has been done to death. A friend that works for Audi said that they have done it to prepare the public for electric vehicles which will not have any pipes fake or real.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:46 pm Crickey, you have a bad back and an sq5! I had a twenty minute test drive in one and had to abort as my relatively healthy back was killing me. This one didn't have air suspension though. The fake exhaust issue has been done to death. A friend that works for Audi said that they have done it to prepare the public for electric vehicles which will not have any pipes fake or real.
I don’t have air suspension, and I consider the ride good - firm, but good. It is sensitive to tyre pressures though.

Son in law had a new shape X3 on 20s (3.0d) and the Audi definitely rode better than that. Not as good as the 530d he had previously though..

For me. It’s a non issue. I like the fact the car as a whole is discrete. And it will prepare me if I go electric for my daily driver next year.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Go and have a test drive of a new Macan.

Then come back and comment on the difference in ride quality.

Of the 13 or so Macans that I have driven only one has given me back issues (large wheels no PASM) and that I liken to a Beamer or Audi with sports suspension.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 pm Go and have a test drive of a new Macan.

Of the 13 or so Macans that I have driven only one has given me back issues (large wheels no PASM) and that I liken to a Beamer or Audi with sports suspension.
I used to suffer with back problems but not had any problems for the last few years which I attribute in part to the suppportive seats in Porsche cars plus getting heat into my back via the heated seats. Never had PASM , always had big wheels and have now had every type of seat ( 1st Macan had 8 way seats , 2nd had 18 way and now on 14 way ).
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 am
Col Lamb wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 pm Go and have a test drive of a new Macan.

I used to suffer with back problems but not had any problems for the last few years which I attribute in part to the suppportive seats in Porsche cars plus getting heat into my back via the heated seats. Never had PASM , always had big wheels and have now had every type of seat ( 1st Macan had 8 way seats , 2nd had 18 way and now on 14 way ).
Which just proves how complicated the human back is :roll:
Caster

Post by Caster »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:48 pm Which just proves how complicated the human back is :roll:
.......as the Good Lady - a retired Osteopath keeps telling me 👍

Back to the SQ5 and a few of my thoughts on getting a SUV type replacement for my SD. Always fancied the SQ5 on paper/spec wise + sat in 'em a few times but never had the desire to actually test drive one. Just look a bit boring to me.

As others have said something Q3 size with good performance would be great + was excited about initial RSQ3 when it came out many moons ago but, try as I could, getting a test drive at the time was nigh impossible as a demo was as rare as rocking horse droppings! From enquiries with Audi it looks like the SQ2 demos will be just as rare + the Good Lady hates (with a passion) the fact that the main display sticks up from dash + doesn't retract. New Q3 does look good inside + reasonably pokey in 2.0 45 TFSI format but no chance (yet) to replace chrome window surrounds with black so that's a non starter 🙂.

That rules out any Audi then + leaves (as others have mentioned) Cupra Areca, XC40 - both already available or T-Roc R out later this year. Plus, not mentioned earlier, the new Evoque 296bhp petrol which does have a tasty new interior - especially in SE and above spec. I've already been in 3 Volvo garages and not been offered a coffee or biscuit yet - so that rules out the XC40 🙂.

So, it's off for test drives soon in the Cupra, Evoque (if there's a 296 demo about), facelift Macan (2.0 & S) and T-Roc (if not too long a wait). Reckon I'll do all that + probably end up extending the warranty for at least another year on my SD (3 yr old this Sept) as the SD will take some beating as a cracking driver's car + having the kudos for friends to ask if I'll take their offspring to proms/weddings etc - if only it was a bit smaller !
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Caster wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:48 pm Which just proves how complicated the human back is :roll:
.......as the Good Lady - a retired Osteopath keeps telling me 👍

Back to the SQ5 and a few of my thoughts on getting a SUV type replacement for my SD. Always fancied the SQ5 on paper/spec wise + sat in 'em a few times but never had the desire to actually test drive one. Just look a bit boring to me.

As others have said something Q3 size with good performance would be great + was excited about initial RSQ3 when it came out many moons ago but, try as I could, getting a test drive at the time was nigh impossible as a demo was as rare as rocking horse droppings! From enquiries with Audi it looks like the SQ2 demos will be just as rare + the Good Lady hates (with a passion) the fact that the main display sticks up from dash + doesn't retract. New Q3 does look good inside + reasonably pokey in 2.0 45 TFSI format but no chance (yet) to replace chrome window surrounds with black so that's a non starter 🙂.

That rules out any Audi then + leaves (as others have mentioned) Cupra Areca, XC40 - both already available or T-Roc R out later this year. Plus, not mentioned earlier, the new Evoque 296bhp petrol which does have a tasty new interior - especially in SE and above spec. I've already been in 3 Volvo garages and not been offered a coffee or biscuit yet - so that rules out the XC40 🙂.

So, it's off for test drives soon in the Cupra, Evoque (if there's a 296 demo about), facelift Macan (2.0 & S) and T-Roc (if not too long a wait). Reckon I'll do all that + probably end up extending the warranty for at least another year on my SD (3 yr old this Sept) as the SD will take some beating as a cracking driver's car + having the kudos for friends to ask if I'll take their offspring to proms/weddings etc - if only it was a bit smaller !
Nice review of current options and also agree with the Volvo dealer experience. Personally yet to find anything out that comes close to the Macan and I am not purely hypnotised by the brand. If I was looking at something smaller definitely a T-Roc R would be worth exploring, as long as it has a sensible grown up interior, just not keen on the colour accents they use, obviously a different demographic target 🤔 We have a Golf GTI and it’s a great motor (when my wife lets me drive it😖)
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
johnd

Post by johnd »

Caster wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 pm New Q3 does look good inside + reasonably pokey in 2.0 45 TFSI format but no chance (yet) to replace chrome window surrounds with black so that's a non starter 🙂.
Vorsprung trim on the new Q3 has the black styling pack as standard. But unfortunately also includes the 20" 40 profile wheels!
Personally I find the XC40 the more interesting of all the alternatives. It's different, a little cheeky but thoughtfully designed. I've got a T5 test-drive booked for this afternoon as it happens. But it's incontrovertibly less of a driver's car and I'm less than convinced about the infotainment screen - I suspect that the next Android-based iteration (a la Polestar 2) will be distinctly better, but no sign of its launch in the XC40 just yet.

Trouble with the new Evoque is that it's as heavy as a Macan so while 300bhp sounds good, all the first-drive comments seem to suggest that it doesn't feel as powerful as it should do.

Fundamental problem is that the Macan sets a pretty high bar in terms of engineering, ride, handling, premium feel, cachet etc, even if the performance of 2.0 or even S isn't stellar. Once you've experienced that then everything else seems to be second best, for all that I would prefer something half a size smaller.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly