Is my First Porsche a Mistake

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

My first Porsche experience has turned into a nightmare. As previously posted I've owned my Macan 2.0 for 3 weeks, I purchased it from an OPC at 15mths old with 3000 miles on the clock. After 24hrs of ownership I found the front 12v socket not working, I had to replace the 20 amp fuse, after 48hrs of ownership I found the pan roof seals damaged in two places. I contacted the OPC asking why these items weren't picked up during the 111 point inspection to be informed they should have been and a set of pan roof seals were ordered. I also reported an abnormal gear thump occasionally between 1st and 2nd and a judder similar to driving over a motorway rumble strip during sharp turns. I'm aware of reported transfer box issues and asked them to test drive and check it under the warranty which they did both hot and cold but reported everything was normal so I put it down to me not being familiar with how Porsches feel when driven.

It's now two weeks later and my Macan has been with the OPC 4 days for replacement of the pan roof seals. I informed them the gear and steering lock related noises are still present so they test drove it again hot and cold and guess what they heard it this time and a replacement transfer box has been ordered. I'm now beginning to doubt my decision to purchase my first Porsche. To anyone reading this, if you've reported issues to your OPC and they say it's normal or they didn't experience it keep pushing if your not satisfied.
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold

VanB

Post by VanB »

Rick I don't think your experience is typical but certainly not unheard of. When trying to get them to identify something unusual I would always recommend going on the drive with their service person so you can point out when it occurs. I mentioned on another thread that these things (maybe not the transfer box) should have been picked up during a 111 point inspection so it plainly either wasnt carried out at all or was only done cursorarily. On the plus side they are actually sorting everything out and you have purchased a very fine car.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

VanB wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:50 pm Rick I don't think your experience is typical but certainly not unheard of. When trying to get them to identify something unusual I would always recommend going on the drive with their service person so you can point out when it occurs. I mentioned on another thread that these things (maybe not the transfer box) should have been picked up during a 111 point inspection so it plainly either wasnt carried out at all or was only done cursorarily. On the plus side they are actually sorting everything out and you have purchased a very fine car.
VanB hopefully once all this is over I'll be able to start enjoying the Macan and leave all this behind me. At the moment I don't know how long it will take for the OPC to get hold of a transfer box then fit it. I've requested they ask for a latest revision box so that should the failure be due to widely reported water ingress via the breather hopefully it's been rectified.
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I sent mine in on it's last service reporting a transfer box issue and it was replaced immediately. Two days for both service and replacement box.
They're aware of the problem and keep the uprated boxes in stock (Hatfield OPC).
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

If in any doubt reject the car now. You have 30 days to get a full refund due to significant faults, which I would say the transmission is.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Macananon wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:30 pm If in any doubt reject the car now. You have 30 days to get a full refund due to significant faults, which I would say the transmission is.
...only if they refuse, or are incapable of repairing.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I would certainly try to push them for a full refund.

Then find a 3.0 litre S.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

Macananon wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:30 pm If in any doubt reject the car now. You have 30 days to get a full refund due to significant faults, which I would say the transmission is.
Macananon as far as I'm aware that applies under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, it only applies to used cars if the dealer refuses to rectify the fault. One thing I can't accuse my OPC of is refusing to rectify anything because they've been excellent once they confirmed a fault existed. I'm miffed that they appear not to have completed the pre handover 111 point inspection properly so they didn't pick up the front 12v socket fuse failure and damaged to the pan roof seals. They also claimed to test drive it a couple of weeks ago after I first reported the gear noises, but the car didn't move in my Car Connect app then today they test drove it again, this time it did move in Car Connect and guess what they reported the transfer box is faulty. This makes wonder what's going on.
Last edited by RickZ on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

RickZ wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:45 pm My first Porsche experience has turned into a nightmare.
Have you considered asking for your money back (Sales of Goods / Misrepresentation Act 1967) on the basis that they knew about these issues and did not disclose them. They will say they didn't know and you will say how could you not know after your inspection, they are then in a corner; they either admit they didn't do the inspection of the 'inspector' was negligent. Of course this approach always comes down to a Mexican stand-off in terms of who is prepared to take it to court and take the chance of losing AND like most of these situations it results in a trade off. From where you are standing what have you got to lose for asking - "I want my money back and I want it now."
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

Fairynuff wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:13 pm
RickZ wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:45 pm My first Porsche experience has turned into a nightmare.
Have you considered asking for your money back (Sales of Goods / Misrepresentation Act 1967) on the basis that they knew about these issues and did not disclose them. They will say they didn't know and you will say how could you not know after your inspection, they are then in a corner; they either admit they didn't do the inspection of the 'inspector' was negligent. Of course this approach always comes down to a Mexican stand-off in terms of who is prepared to take it to court and take the chance of losing AND like most of these situations it results in a trade off. From where you are standing what have you got to lose for asking - "I want my money back and I want it now."
Sounds like a lot of hassle considering I'll end up with a new transfer box and pan roof seals. The OPC has admitted the pan roof seal damage and failed 12v socket fuse should have been picked up during the 111 point inspection. I requested they repeat the inspection, they offered a health check instead, I persuaded them this wasn't acceptable, they agreed and repeated the inspected, I've asked for the inspection sheet for future reference if anything else happens. During the purchase of my Macan I was given 10% off my first service due in October I may negotiate a compensation % increase or free service. Oh and I'm driving about in a loan Cayenne S....
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold