Chipping 2019 Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I am unsure if the facelifted S engine is the same as prior.

Whilst the S and GTS shared the same engine the GTS engine did have upgraded engine components as did the PDK and for only a 20 horse gain.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Paul wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:43 pm Can’t recall ever (legally or otherwise) feeling that my GTS was lacking.......😉
Me neither. But if I do, I presume that's what the Sports Plus button is for!
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

If I recall correctly, the propaganda machine (press releases) stated that new S has a new twin-scroll turbo placed in the V in between zyl-heads
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Pivot wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:46 pm If I recall correctly, the propaganda machine (press releases) stated that new S has a new twin-scroll turbo placed in the V in between zyl-heads
That's correct, it's a single twin-scroll turbo sitting between the V. So different scrolls dealing with 3 cylinders each. The previous S has twin turbos sitting outside the V. So completely separate turbos dealing with 3 cylinders each. The new engine provides weight and performance advantages over the old one. It's the same engine that's in a number of Audi cars, for example the S4 and S5.
Current - Macan III GTS
Paul

Post by Paul »

PaulR wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:57 pm
Pivot wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:46 pm If I recall correctly, the propaganda machine (press releases) stated that new S has a new twin-scroll turbo placed in the V in between zyl-heads
That's correct, it's a single twin-scroll turbo sitting between the V. So different scrolls dealing with 3 cylinders each. The previous S has twin turbos sitting outside the V. So completely separate turbos dealing with 3 cylinders each. The new engine provides weight and performance advantages over the old one. It's the same engine that's in a number of Audi cars, for example the S4 and S5.
Don’t think that’s quite how it works. Twin scroll turbos have two exhaust valves and two nozzles; a smaller sharper angled one for quick response and a larger less angled one for peak performance. Nothing to do with dealing separately with one or other banks of cylinders, in the same way that twin turbos have one smaller turbo for quick response times and a bigger one for max power
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Paul wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:57 pm Don’t think that’s quite how it works. Twin scroll turbos have two exhaust valves and two nozzles; a smaller sharper angled one for quick response and a larger less angled one for peak performance. Nothing to do with dealing separately with one or other banks of cylinders, in the same way that twin turbos have one smaller turbo for quick response times and a bigger one for max power
Agree. I was (badly) meaning that in a normal firing V6, the exhaust streams from each side of the V are routed to one of two channels: a larger and a smaller one. So the 3 left streams got to one, and the right 3 go to the other. Each channel directs the streams to the turbo blades. The larger channel to the outside of the blades - causing it to spin faster. The smaller channel towards the inside of the blades - resulting in better turbo response.
Current - Macan III GTS
frankstar123

Post by frankstar123 »

The engine has the exact power output as a S5 2017, so I'm assuming its the same unit but different gearbox. People with S5's were getting same 0-60s as a 450bhp RS5.

The Chip i had push peak power to 400bhp (more or less) but it was the mid range improvements and the removal of the flat spot 2.5rpm that impressed me.
2019 Macan S, Air Susp, 21 RS Alloys, Pano, Sport Chrono Pack, Lighting Pack, BOSE, Standard seats, Parking Camera, Privacy Glass.