SUV Petrol vs Diesel Comparison

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Interesting comparison Petrol vs Diesel engines in an SUV - Alfa Stelvio vs Macan.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feat ... sche-macan

Still feel Porsche’s decision to drop the V6 & V8 diesels from is range is a shame. I love my Macan SD :D
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,

Incept

Post by Incept »

Music to my ears this!

Fascinating reading which encapsulates exactly my thoughts on this matter. It also vindicates my decision to choose a Macan diesel just 4 weeks ago, in the face of so many (including Porsche) opinions that it was the wrong way to go.

My first choice for the Macan had always been a diesel, after test driving one over two years ago. Quite simply, it made me laugh out loud how well the car performed, despite being a heavy car with a diesel engine. It almost defied physics and was every bit a ‘driver’s car.

Skip forward three years and I was finally in the market for a Macan and contemplating which model. However, by now I couldn’t buy a new diesel even if I wanted to.

Having read widely (including here) and after considering all the opposing arguments, I decided to opt for my original choice: a diesel. I’m so glad I did!

Yes the Audi derived diesel is not a ‘real Porsche powerlant’ and no it doesn’t sound like a sports car (though it doesn’t sound bad), but in the end it’s important to understand what this car is about. It’s an almost two tonne, four seater, go anywhere, do anything vehicle, which is not really meant for track days or beating lap times around the Nurburgring (though in some trims it can do that too!).

It offers an altogether different, but nonetheless exciting and wholly satisfying experience.

One could easily go for a B road blast in the morning and have a whale of a time grinning at how well this ‘underpowered phoney Porsche’ performs and in the afternoon go off-roading up your local by-way (responsibly of course), where the torque it offers would impress Land Rover sceptics. Oh and by the way, you can then take the whole family up to the Lake District the following day, marvelling as you go at the 36+mpg you’re getting, giving you a 550+ mile range on a 75ltr tank!

In fact, in many ways the Macan diesel is the very epitome of an SUV and once this is appreciated, one can very easily make an argument that it’s engine is actually the one which is most suited to it: a conclusion that droves of early buyers (and Porsche) came to.

I’m sure Autocar have access to excellent ‘industry sources’ and know what they’re talking about when the elude to Dieselgate being the real reason Porsche have turned away from diesel. Because in my opinion, until a plausible, practical electric alternative comes along, a clean diesel makes the most sense for this car.

So I went out and bought a 20000 mile S Diesel with the whole options list fitted for a very good price, because they’re out of fashion due to VW group cornering the market in foot-shooting lessons! I got a great PCP residual, offering me some protection against a crash in diesel values and a certificate from porsche that says they’ll buy the car back if the government bans diesels.

I’m willing to accept that values of diesel Macans might continue to slide, but there’s not much evidence of a cataclysmic downturn as yet. And, there’s just the possibility that values might harden when all the bad press has subsided and in view of the revelation that Porsche will continue to sell the current design after they introduce the second generation in ev form only.

In the meantime, I’m really enjoying the car; more so than I expected!

Oh and just in case anyone is wondering if I’m biased because my last three cars were a Discovery 4, a Mitsubishi Shogun and a BMW X5, they were actually a 911 993s, a Boxster 987 S and a Boxster 981 GTS! All fantastic cars in their own right that would have been crap with Diesel engines! Horses for courses!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

◇◇◇ Well put and couldn't agree more. Having owned an SD from new for 23 months I beleive it's a fantastic all rounder.

Porsche may have dropped the popular SUV diesel option, but other members of the VAG group are still introducing new SUV models with this option. As are many other premium SUV brands.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The SD Macan is a very good car.

Instant torque, means it is very good at lower speeds, not so good at higher speeds.

Engine in comfort mode and the throttle needs a long push to make things happen and even then the gearbox is sluggish.

Put it into Sport mode and the SD comes alive and the gearbox has a much better response.

I have repeatedly said that the SD needed the same power as the engine delivered in the SQ5 that is 330 hp, to see what I mean drive an X3 with the 35D engine, that is how a diesel SUV should perform by way of acceleration and responsiveness.

If you can avoid the DPF issue then an SD makes sense for many.

All that said SD or Turbo I have owned both, its no contest, my Turbo wins by a country mile.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Incept

Post by Incept »

Just wondering how long it’s been since you had the SD. Whilst I recognise a slight reticence in taking up power in comfort, I wouldn’t describe the box as sluggish.

My car has the latest software upgrades and it could be that these may have helped with the issues you mention.

Interestingly, whilst I’ve not had the car long enough to comment confidently, I haven’t noticed any of the much talked of issues with DPF warnings etc.

As far as the points you make about the superior performance offered by BMW and Audi, I’m in two minds. Yes the car could certainly cope and might be more exciting as a result of more power.

However, having an automated manual, the car can deliver its power more efficiently.

Therefore the real difference at the wheels is less than it might be (a point made in the autocar article). The lower output also means it it’s likely to be more economical.

A V8 diesel in a Macan would be a beast though wouldn’t it!!

Overall though, I think my point is that imo, the diesel is the right engine for the car type. If you yearn for a sports car with five seats, there’s nothing wrong in a turbo either.

It’s just that in my view, for many, the qualities offered by diesel will match the rest of the car’s attributes more closely. It also (as you’ve eluded to) has more than enough go in the real world.

Wouldn’t mind a go in a turbo though! 😬
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Incept wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am Just wondering how long it’s been since you had the SD. Whilst I recognise a slight reticence in taking up power in comfort, I wouldn’t describe the box as sluggish.

My car has the latest software upgrades and it could be that these may have helped with the issues you mention.

Interestingly, whilst I’ve not had the car long enough to comment confidently, I haven’t noticed any of the much talked of issues with DPF warnings etc.

As far as the points you make about the superior performance offered by BMW and Audi, I’m in two minds. Yes the car could certainly cope and might be more exciting as a result of more power.

However, having an automated manual, the car can deliver its power more efficiently.

Therefore the real difference at the wheels is less than it might be (a point made in the autocar article). The lower output also means it it’s likely to be more economical.

Overall though, I think my point is that imo, the diesel is the right engine for the car type. If you yearn for a sports car with five seats, there’s nothing wrong in a turbo either.

It’s just that in my view, for many, the qualities offered by diesel will match the rest of the car’s attributes more closely. It also (as you’ve eluded to) has more than enough go in the real world.

The issues surrounding the DPF are usually a result of driving the car very short distances, usually in built up areas - ie cities. These diesels aren't suited to those conditions and usually cause DPF clogging. The constant stop/start, and the associated short distances, usually mean the engine never gets to temperature and rarely is able to go through regeneration. If you're doing decent sized distances in the car I would wager that the diesel is the better engine. If not, you're in a world of flat bed pain! I had a diesel and couldn't wait to get rid of it - so many issues. But...that was due to where I live and what the car was used for. So, horses for courses!
Incept

Post by Incept »

Yeah. Have to say I read a lot on here about peoples’ issues, particularly those surrounding the DPF.

In the end I even got the OPC to put in writing that, given the type of driving I’d be doing, it would be suitable for my needs!

It remains to be seen if any problems arise. I’ll be doing moderate distances interspersed with town driving. But it certainly won’t be constantly used on the school run for example!

As you say, it’s important to be aware of the issues that can be caused by ‘the wrong driving’.

I’m also hoping that the most recent software updates have a positive effect. Apparently, they revert the behaviour characteristics back to those which original owners seemed happier with before the knee jerk reactions to diesel gate.

Let’s see!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Incept wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am Just wondering how long it’s been since you had the SD. Whilst I recognise a slight reticence in taking up power in comfort, I wouldn’t describe the box as sluggish.

Agreed.

My SD had hesitency with the power, torque delivery and gearbox actions when in Comfort mode, if I was at a constant speed of say 40 mph, flooring the throttle resulted in about a 1s delay before anything happened.

I addition to my SD I have also driven at least 6 other SDs and all of them suffered from the same issue.

Put in Sport mode and the problem disapeared in all the SDs but I have not driven an SD since September 2016.

So it is great that Porsche did resolve the matter.

I did tell each SE that it was an aspect that I did not like and Porsche GB should be made aware of the issue.

The issue I had with the delivery of the engine was on flooring to overtake a car on A and B roads the engine delivery plateaued. This did not occur in either of the Beamer 35D engined X3 / 4 that I test drove they just kept going. Even in Sport mode if I floored the throttle in my SD at any speed over 60 mph there was not the surge by a huge margin that their was with the Beamers.

That said, had the SD that I owned had some different Extras to those that were included that I really wanted I would have kept the SD and got a TDI chip for the extra 60+ hp.p and the improvements in delivery that would result.

BTW, I bought a new pre configured showroom Macan to avoid the long wait.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

my understanding of the new software upgrade it that it will help with the DPF as it will allow the filter to get hotter, quicker.

Diesel in sport mode or not still fast enough to loose your licence.
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

If the mk2 Macan had the 340+ bhp SQ5 diesel V6 I'd take that all day long over the petrol V6S. Sadly not be be
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,