Moving from fast Audi to Macan GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Swiss Tony

Post by Swiss Tony »

Pivot, In retrospect I should have started my post like that haha. I think it is the closest thing to a fast coupe so here’s hoping.

Rickz, I do like to use the engines power regularly so that was why I went for the GTS. Turbo is expensive and price wise with extras puts it in the same bracket as some hyper quick Audi’s which I think I would have been tempted with, especially as they discount from new.

I test drove the 2.0 and it was a nice car to drive. Had a bit of poke although as you say you have to work it a little more but the engine was willing. I’m assuming the GTS will be similar but with more power so I am confident i’ll be happy with my first Porsche

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Based on the comments above it sounds like the GTS is the one for you imo.

I don’t have any issue getting in and out of the S5 and it certainly can feel fast being so lower down.

The GTS setup keeps it very planted and as close to the S5 drive but it’s a heavy SUV.
There is very little body roll in the GTS but what I really like is it is more than happy to potter around town withought wanting to take off. With PASM you can control the suspension setup and even the sportiest mode won’t do you back in. Audi suspension setup are certainly much harder but never bothers me to be honest.

Yet to find an SUV even close to the drive of the GTS.
You just have to remember it’s still an SUV but what a drive it is.
The new PCM is bigger and faster / easier to operate. Much closer to Audi offerings (just no virtual cockpit)

The customisation of a porsche for me is part of the fun. And stress getting it right.
You can really pick what you want.
GTS 😀
VanB

Post by VanB »

The Macan GTS is a really capable, comfortable and refined sporty SUV (my last car) but it is an SUV and not a sports saloon or sports car so please factor this into your thinking. I loved mine but I ultimately couldn’t make the transition from a sports car (981 Cayman S) to a sports SUV. I have no experience of fast Audis so can’t really comment on that transition. However, if an SUV is what you need I doubt you could find a finer choice
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Swiss Tony wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:10 am ...as that will be close to the GTS I have ordered...
No one's 'ordered' a refreshed GTS. It's simply not possible to order one right now. I checked with my OPC today and they hope they might be able to order one in the next year. It's not even guaranteed that Porsche will make one, although it is of course expected at some point. The Turbo model is however given and is the next Macan to be announced this year.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
pmg

Post by pmg »

PaulR wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:47 pm
Swiss Tony wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:10 am ...as that will be close to the GTS I have ordered...
No one's 'ordered' a refreshed GTS. It's simply not possible to order one right now. I checked with my OPC today and they hope they might be able to order one in the next year. It's not even guaranteed that Porsche will make one, although it is of course expected at some point. The Turbo model is however given and is the next Macan to be announced this year.
Someone once told me you may think you have ordered a Porsche but a Porsche is not "ordered" until Porsche have confirmed/accepted to the OPC they are prepared to build the specific car and have confirmed the build slot.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

pmg wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:42 pm
PaulR wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:47 pm
Someone once told me you may think you have ordered a Porsche but a Porsche is not "ordered" until Porsche have confirmed/accepted to the OPC they are prepared to build the specific car and have confirmed the build slot.
Very true.

The deposit puts the perspective buyer on the wait list for a build slot.

When the OPC gets the build slot for a specific model and model variant they will then ask for the final spec (Lockdown) and only when you have confirmed the final spec is your name put on the factory build.

But just because someone has placed a deposit it does not mean that those on the wait list get to the top in order.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I have been told a deposit doesn't get you a definite place on the list. a favoured buyer may jump past you if the dealership decides that what they want to do.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Swiss Tony

Post by Swiss Tony »

This sounds a bit cloak and daggers for my liking. I have a build slot, I have paid my £3k and the OPC have said it is for the GTS. My paperwork says GTS but this would be my first Porsche so i’m not used to this build slot and waiting mallarchy. Paying full price for something is bad enough.

I’ll ring the OPC tomorrow and see what they say but perhaps they have said all the right things to get a build slot and a deposit. If this is the case I will not be impressed and will likely refund my money or ring round a few other Porsche dealers.

I’ve never had any issues with Audi so that would be my default contingency plan.

Will let you know what they say tomorrow. Thanks for info
Paul

Post by Paul »

The situation will be no different with Audi (or any other manufacturer for that matter)
They will have annual targets, quarterly and monthly allocations based on those targets but any build slots are guestimates until confirmed by the factory production schedule.
The difference here is that Porsche are talking significantly smaller numbers so much more difficult to manage and keep hidden from the customer.
(Also, as above, the GTS hadn’t been officially confirmed yet....it will happen, ir’s just a question of when!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Swiss Tony wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:15 pm This sounds a bit cloak and daggers for my liking. I have a build slot, I have paid my £3k and the OPC have said it is for the GTS. My paperwork says GTS but this would be my first Porsche so i’m not used to this build slot and waiting mallarchy. Paying full price for something is bad enough.

I’ll ring the OPC tomorrow and see what they say but perhaps they have said all the right things to get a build slot and a deposit. If this is the case I will not be impressed and will likely refund my money or ring round a few other Porsche dealers.

I’ve never had any issues with Audi so that would be my default contingency plan.

Will let you know what they say tomorrow. Thanks for info
Hi Tony, concur with previous comments, they can’t give you a build slot for a vehicle not yet even released. They can put your name on their list and if it is as stated a totally new OPC, it won’t have any existing long term customers to bump ahead of you. I have a deposit down for my second Turbo. I put the money down a year ago to secure a on list position in the knowledge that it would be at least a year before announcement and then at least 3 months before delivery (turbo yet to be announced but introduction imminent?) Once it is announced and subject to price/ first review I will decide whether to proceed or get my money back. This would be my fourth Porsche from same OPC and the SE involved, with a wait for first one being 18 months (it was already out but a big queue) This second one is definitely going to be longer.

If it’s a facelift GTS that you are set on, any other OPC can only take your name/money to their own wait list but I would say you are better placed sticking where you are, just be prepared for a possible long wait.

P.S. Turbo is a country mile better than GTS which is really just an S with stiffer suspension, a noisy exhaust and a load of black bling 😖
Did that for you Col, you know it’s true👍 :lol: :lol: sorry Paul :oops:
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6