Turbo or Gts model release

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jetbox

Post by jetbox »

Hi,

I have a deposit down for a Macan Turbo but so far no news about a release date. Has anyone heard anything on the release of variants other than the 2.0 or the S model?

Are they even going to be produced or has the new emissions testing seen the end of such models until the Electric Macan is launched in 2021?

Thanks

darkness17

Post by darkness17 »

Was told back in jan the turbo had a tentative production start in the summer. I don't know if that's changed I think a couple of forum members have the new turbo on order so maybe they will know
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

jetbox wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:42 am Hi,

I have a deposit down for a Macan Turbo but so far no news about a release date. Has anyone heard anything on the release of variants other than the 2.0 or the S model?

Are they even going to be produced or has the new emissions testing seen the end of such models until the Electric Macan is launched in 2021?

Thanks
I have same, last courtesy call I took from my SE suggested a Spring announcement but Porsche keep everything very tight so you often hear news via media leak even before OPC’s are officially informed.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
pmg

Post by pmg »

My experience with the run-up to the S launch was that my local OPC's only knew firm information at the time of Press Announcement or at best 24 hrs before. before that, they were speculating like everyone else.

To add to the speculation. The initial US deliveries for Facelift S have been put back from this May to the earliest of November. With late summer build capacity being directed towards these USA orders and current EU/UK S orders being told June build July delivery. I do wonder whether there will be a knock on effect of EU/UK Turbo announcement being pushed back from an intended Spring 2019 which is nearly over!!

At least, for the Turbo the exact new engine is fairly clear and exists in other models. That is not so for the GTS, which I would expect to be based on the new S with torque and increased power pushed to higher revs
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

pmg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:40 am My experience with the run-up to the S launch was that my local OPC's only knew firm information at the time of Press Announcement or at best 24 hrs before. before that, they were speculating like everyone else.

To add to the speculation. The initial US deliveries for Facelift S have been put back from this May to the earliest of November. With late summer build capacity being directed towards these USA orders and current EU/UK S orders being told June build July delivery. I do wonder whether there will be a knock on effect of EU/UK Turbo announcement being pushed back from an intended Spring 2019 which is nearly over!!

At least, for the Turbo the exact new engine is fairly clear and exists in other models. That is not so for the GTS, which I would expect to be based on the new S with torque and increased power pushed to higher revs
This would be in line with what happened previously.

Getting an S in the UK was dire and generally resulted in a very, very long wait as the SD was given priority but even then 9 months wait was still pretty much the average but some OPCs were not taking S orders as they had no idea of build slots being made available. The GTS even at one stage had an 18 month wait list for some buyers.

Now at that time over the pond Porsche USA were having Lot cars produced to specific specification to fill their OPCs with Macans that a buyer could just drive into an OPC and drive out in a new Macan.

If they wanted a custom build then they placed the deposit Locked down the spec and build started about six weeks later.

So yes we were cr4pped upon by Porsche at the time.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Lawrie

Post by Lawrie »

I locked down my S spec yesterday for an April build. The SE said he thought it would be November onwards for the next batch due to the emissions situation which would be relieved by the launch of the all electric Taycan.
2019 Macan S
2021 718 Spyder
2010 Boxster
pmg

Post by pmg »

Lawrie wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:45 pm I locked down my S spec yesterday for an April build. The SE said he thought it would be November onwards for the next batch due to the emissions situation which would be relieved by the launch of the all electric Taycan.
Interesting, I wondered when the EU tax penalties for breaking the average CO2 target would start to impact car production. That is the only thing I think the SE could imply by emissions situation. Porsche/VW Audi group, of course, could have decided to pay the extra tax and take a profit hit or pass the tax cost on to the customer and take an image hit in the eyes of the environmentalists.

Most have big implications for Turbo and GTS release timing. Glad I have gone ahead with S in December order which is en route to UK.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

jetbox wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:42 am I have a deposit down for a Macan Turbo but so far no news about a release date. Has anyone heard anything on the release of variants other than the 2.0 or the S model?

There will definitely be a Turbo. This has been spotted testing undisguised, however it sounds like its launch may be further back than we would have hoped. I'm not sure a refreshed GTS is a given, especially now that Porsche is refocussing its efforts on the new all-electric model. I believe Porsche often works on a 7 year lifecycle on its cars, with a facelift at the 4 year point. This means a refreshed model is available for less time than the original one. The Macan came out in 2014, the refresh was 2018, so the all-new model could be announced 2020 for 2021. Porsche releases its GTS variations a couple of years into a model's lifecycle. It attracts renewed interest in the car. So I do wonder if Porsche will have time to fit in another Macan GTS...
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

PaulR wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 pm
jetbox wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:42 am I have a deposit down for a Macan Turbo but so far no news about a release date. Has anyone heard anything on the release of variants other than the 2.0 or the S model?

There will definitely be a Turbo. This has been spotted testing undisguised, however it sounds like its launch may be further back than we would have hoped. I'm not sure a refreshed GTS is a given, especially now that Porsche is refocussing its efforts on the new all-electric model. I believe Porsche often works on a 7 year lifecycle on its cars, with a facelift at the 4 year point. This means a refreshed model is available for less time than the original one. The Macan came out in 2014, the refresh was 2018, so the all-new model could be announced 2020 for 2021. Porsche releases its GTS variations a couple of years into a model's lifecycle. It attracts renewed interest in the car. So I do wonder if Porsche will have time to fit in another Macan GTS...
Oliver Blume, Porsche CEO, said in 2017 there would be a Cayenne Turbo S powered by the Panamera Turbo S engine. Since then there has been emission scandals and new WLTP regs.
My genuine concern is the higher end performance models across the brand are being scaled back. Sincerely hope I’m wrong as my Macan Turbo was a fine introduction to the Porsche brand.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):