Seeing the new Macans on road

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

I'm seeing more and more of the facelifted cars on the road and I have to say something controversial. In my view, you have to spec the thing very well for it not to look, well, awkward. I saw what looked like a pretty much base car and I just wouldn't drive the thing - no way.

For example, 18s or 19s on the car look terrible. Aesthetically, they make the car look strange. Secondly, the light bar seems to ill suit a black car. I like the light bar across the 911, Panamera and the Cayenne, but for some reason it, again, makes the Macan look quite odd. I reckon you may need to have the lights tinted to make it look the part or ditch black altogether.

These are just my musings but if you're looking at it there is some credence in speccing the car to an appropriate level of options.

DiverNick

Post by DiverNick »

GMAN75 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:07 am I'm seeing more and more of the facelifted cars on the road and I have to say something controversial. In my view, you have to spec the thing very well for it not to look, well, awkward. I saw what looked like a pretty much base car and I just wouldn't drive the thing - no way.

For example, 18s or 19s on the car look terrible. Aesthetically, they make the car look strange. Secondly, the light bar seems to ill suit a black car. I like the light bar across the 911, Panamera and the Cayenne, but for some reason it, again, makes the Macan look quite odd. I reckon you may need to have the lights tinted to make it look the part or ditch black altogether.

These are just my musings but if you're looking at it there is some credence in speccing the car to an appropriate level of options.
Sounds like I did the right thing opting for 20" rims and the tinted rear lights on Sapphire Blue. Also went for the Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass and Sport Mirrors.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

DiverNick wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:15 am
GMAN75 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:07 am I'm seeing more and more of the facelifted cars on the road and I have to say something controversial. In my view, you have to spec the thing very well for it not to look, well, awkward. I saw what looked like a pretty much base car and I just wouldn't drive the thing - no way.

Sounds like I did the right thing opting for 20" rims and the tinted rear lights on Sapphire Blue. Also went for the Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass and Sport Mirrors.
I definitely think so.
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Glad I'm not the only one thinking the same. I've seen a few on the road now, and most have looked pretty awkward. Perhaps because they're low specced base models. The wheels have looked a bit lost, and the car seems much higher than what the official photos would have us believe. (I actually wondered if the official photos have been doctored to make the cars look lower.)

The black plastic around the bottom of the cars don't help. IMO, for most colours, this needs painted the colour of the car.

Cannot make my mind up about the rear light bar. It looks good enough - however cannot decide if I actually prefer it over the existing model. It's not worse, but is it actually better?

Finally, I really don't like the fake air intakes (ahead of the front wheels) on the base model. Appreciate the original base model (and diesel) had the same thing, however it looks more obvious on the refreshed model due to the larger grill opening. The intakes are real on the S model - and they look much better.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

When new Porsches are launched at motor shows (e.g. Panamera) they definitely have artificially lowered suspension fitted. Noticeably lower than the ‘real’ cars.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Porsche, Audi and BMW etc. deliberately make the base model look "rubbish" so that we spend many more ££££.

:D :D :D
MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

I agree that the light bar looks a little odd on the black model. I'm getting grey and think that with the brake light and reflectors it looks quite balanced, not sure why it looks so different on the black version. Also agree about the wheels, 20" for me, but I am getting the base model, it suits my needs, I just don't do the mileage to warrant the power of the S and this is my first porsche. I'm already planning for the Cayman or possibly 911 when the kids go off to university haha, that won't be a low powered version!!!
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

MrsMacan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:45 pm I'm already planning for the Cayman or possibly 911 when the kids go off to university haha, that won't be a low powered version!!!
I like your style! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018