MACAN KEYLESS ENTRY

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MORGAN33

Post by MORGAN33 »

THATCHAM SAY THAT THE 2019 MACAN IS ONE OF THE SIX WORST CARS WITH KEYLESS ENTRY THAT ARE LIKELY TO BE STOLEN
THIS CAR DOES NOT HAVE KEYLESS ENTRY....YOU HAVE TO PRESS THE KEY TO OPEN THE CAR DOOR...THIS IS ON THE THATCHAM WEBBSITE!!??

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

That is precisely why those of us who are aware of the issues would never specify keyless entry.

Bazza started an excellent thread

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4116&hilit=Tracker
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MORGAN33

Post by MORGAN33 »

YES....JUST FOUND OUT IT CAN BE BOUGHT WITH KEYLESS ENTRY.....MY NEW MACAN HAS THE BUTTON FOB....CHEERS COL

MORGAN33
T4LGO

Post by T4LGO »

Stop SHOUTING .. caps lock is cool
Kermit the Mamba Green Macan S .. http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIFXUV9
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

MORGAN33 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:37 pm YES....JUST FOUND OUT IT CAN BE BOUGHT WITH KEYLESS ENTRY.....MY NEW MACAN HAS THE BUTTON FOB....CHEERS COL

MORGAN33
You are welcome.

By the way, we have a tongue in cheek unwritten rule ...... no images posted and you do not have a Macan :D

So you show us yours and we can show you ours.

Eg my own on pick up day.

EDE07A72-8A92-45C9-B4EB-605D34A46A07.jpeg

53CA0FB1-5AF2-432F-8A11-B79772E73F56.jpeg

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
tigertrout

Post by tigertrout »

When I brought my first Macan when they lauched them. The dealer showed me the keyless entry and then I couldn't belive there is a key permitally in the slot.All you would have to do is get in and start up. Not surprised it has been flagged up.
Paul

Post by Paul »

tigertrout wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 pm When I brought my first Macan when they lauched them. The dealer showed me the keyless entry and then I couldn't belive there is a key permitally in the slot.All you would have to do is get in and start up. Not surprised it has been flagged up.
Not quite that easy as you still need the main “key” in your pocket which is transmitting a coded signal for the car to recognise, but yes, keyless give just another opening for thieves to exploit,
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

tigertrout wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 pm When I brought my first Macan when they lauched them. The dealer showed me the keyless entry and then I couldn't belive there is a key permitally in the slot.All you would have to do is get in and start up. Not surprised it has been flagged up.
So you understand neither the Thatcham issue nor how your car works! I'll address the latter here.

Amongst other things, Porsche Entry and Drive negates the need to put your key into your ignition lock. But you still need to start the car, so Porsche puts a semi-permanent 'operating device' (as they call it) in your ignition lock. All ICE cars with keyless entry still need you to start the engine. Most other cars utilise a push button or a rocker switch, however Porsche has gone with a 'twist key' action instead. This is down to their heritage in always having some kind of twist key start at the door side. As with all other cars, you still need your actual key somewhere inside the car. Someone otherwise cannot simply jump in and start the car.

To me, all keyless entry and drive applications are completely pointless. Maybe just bragging rights for the people who think it's cool to be able to keep their key in their pocket, then open and start the car without taking their key out.

In the end it's just created a pile of endless problem for manufacturers to resolve (or not in this case). For example:

- How do we now centrally unlock the doors? (Resolved by adding a finger sensor to the handles.)
- How do we ensure key not locked inside car? (Resolved my the car working out where the key is. It can even differentiate if the key is in the boot or in the passenger compartment.)
- How do we start the car? (Resolved by adding a starter switch, starter button, or a dummy twist key.)
- How do we stop thieves relaying the signal to your car? (Resolved by asking customers to store their key in a special pouch!)

And there's tonnes of other setbacks too, for example:

- If you're working in your garden right next to the car with your key in your pocket, presumably it can be opened by anyone.
- If you drop someone off who has the key on them, then you drive off, what happens? Does your car stop down the road, or refuse to start again until the key can be located?

I really cannot understand how any of this is better than simply sticking your key in the dashboard and turning it. It resolves all the problems. It's simpler. And, instead of it rattling around somewhere, it gives you somewhere to store the key while driving.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
VanB

Post by VanB »

PaulR - keyless entry works for my wife as she keeps the key in her handbag and it saves the 10 minute faff whilst she has to find it amongst all the other junk she keeps in there. For those of us that keep our key in our pocket I agree it's both unnecessary and insecure. I had to have keyless entry with the Macan as my wife drove it too. After 13 months of having the 911 my wife hasn't once even sat in the driver's seat so no need for keyless entry. Besides I quite like putting the key in the slot. Never did like keyless entry in any case and it's an unnecessarily expensive option.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
davewf

Post by davewf »

I didn't option it because you still have to put the fob somewhere so might as well stuff in the dash and turn it.