Porsche Service - It pays to shop around!!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ I hope it’s not the £2k that you fear... 😬
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

darkness17 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:29 pm I haven’t thought about getting a winter tyre set for the new S is this something everyone is doing?
Depends where you live.

I have driven Summers only for the last 20 years without problems.

That said I do live in a fairly mild area up north.

The Macan in the snow on its Summers is not as sure footed as the Jag was.

I certainly would not go All Seasons, simply for the loss of braking performance compared to Summers
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Here's a 20 minute USA video of what's involved in a major service of a petrol Macan including the PDK fluid change:

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:17 pm
darkness17 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:29 pm I haven’t thought about getting a winter tyre set for the new S is this something everyone is doing?
Depends where you live.

I certainly would not go All Seasons, simply for the loss of braking performance compared to Summers
Even through the winter/early spring/late autumn when the roads are regularly damp or wet and icy. Surely braking performance during this period is much more of a consistent issue?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
pmg

Post by pmg »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:17 pm
Depends where you live.

All three main tyre options have a band of temperatures when they give the best grip, braking and wear compared to the worst of the three at that range. Undoubtedly there is a major if you can always run Summers when temps above 10deg C and winters when temps below 7 deg c. how easy it is to do this for the majority of the year in a particular UK location.

Since winter 2010 I have had summer and winter wheelsets for my BMW's even whilst living on the South Coast. In winter 2009 when I last ran summers, the wear on them at low temperatures was horrendous. I reckon by not running summers in winter I added 60 % to their life and my winter wheel sets going for steels and smallest narrowest size paid for themselves. Typically on the Southcoast, I put the winters on mid-November and took them off late March but keeping an eye on long term forecast and as to whether I was due to make a trip North. Garage did the swop at £25 cost and I stored the set not in use at home having space. On winters RWD BMW easily coped with the two bad falls of snow we had in that time as well as delivering far better cold weather braking and lower wear.

About to take delivery of Macan S on 20-inch wheels, I have not decided whether I ultimately run that on All Seasons or by purchase a 19-inch winter wheelset and do the Summer /winter season swop again. Looking at USA forum, many in quite cold and snowy areas of the USA seem to have few issues running there Macans all year on all seasons. I recognise that on Porsche alloy costs, there will be a financial cost this time to a separate Winter set, but the gain in "tyre performance" overall through best for a particular season could be worthwhile. This time I may get i.e pay OPC to store the tyre set not in use as the Macan sets are heavier.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I mostly talk to Wxxxxkers, Axxxxxles and Txxxsers at Porsche XXXX . Funny how they all have similar names?
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

interesting video, spent longer cleaning it than any machinal input, I think it is all show and go with no stopping, cant see where he checked the brakes?
Deleted User 2325

Post by Deleted User 2325 »

Winter tyres - there's a thread on this topic. I also decided to get a set for my GTS and couldn't bear to part with the Black Spyders so had to fork out for a set of those too.

Insane? Well having a brand new car sliding sideways at 2mph towards a stone walled garage did it for me. NO GRIP AT ALL on thick snow. Since then the weather this year has been sub-tropical! Anyway I don't regret it.

As I ntend to keep the car for the long term it just means that I will have double the length of time before needing new ones.

At the Porsche circuit I did a brake test and the two drivers we met both swore by the stopping distance improvement and recommended them v highly. The winters are v good in the wet too.

I am not paying £200 to store (kept at home) and switching them over costs £156 twice a year.