Keyless entry .. Dont spec it..

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

Keyless entry and OBD port hacking have been around for years as can be seen on Youtube. Most vehicle brands introduced changes to stop or at least make OBD port hacking more difficult. Unfortunately it seems that little has been done to foil easier keyless entry hacking to the point where some brands still don't offer the ability to turn keyless entry off including fob permanent signal transmission. My previous 3 vehicles had keyless entry not spec'd by me, my current Macan doesn't thank goodness which means I no longer have to mess about with a faraday pouch which itself was unreliable which meant at home I kept my fobs in a tin which was 100% reliable. My advice to anyone specing a car is don't select keyless entry unless it and the key transmission can be switched off permanently and both have to be reselected to on in order to return them to service, it's important these functions don't auto default to on next time the car is unlocked and started.

I keep a steering wheel lock in the boot for use when I feel it's necessary, we all know steering wheels can be cut with a battery angle grinder, the noise involved is the deterrent. When my cars used to spend 50% of their life parked at airports I used a Disklok which was a lump to use. After retiring a sold the Disklok and bought a Stoplock Pro which is very high quality but easier to fit than the Disklok without risking damage to the steering wheel. At the end of the day we all have insurance but I'd prefer if someone takes a liking to a car I own that they move on to an easier target.
Last edited by RickZ on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold

Paul

Post by Paul »

MikeM wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:43 am
Paul wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:23 pm ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Itโ€™s only a Macan!

Mineโ€™s on the drive (or at least it was when I last checked!๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚)
๐Ÿ‘ Yes indeed but you fail to mention that yours is fully protected by ๐Ÿ•ท๐Ÿ•ท๐Ÿ•ท after that trip to the tip ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

T4LGO wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:48 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47655330

Interesting how it singles out these 6 models, including the Macan. I have it on my S3 but keep my keys in a special shielded pouch.

Tal
I used a recommended Faraday pouch which worked in the early days then one day I tested it to find at some point it had stopped working and I didn't know which is no good, I assumed that evertime I walked away from my car and put the fob in the pouch all was OK wrrrrronggggggg!!!!!!. The best way to override keyless entry is to switch it off including the fob transmission. The best alternative is to keep fobs in a tin with lid on, that always works.
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Presumably not if itโ€™s actually made of tin though!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

I have keyless but I take out the fake key - so itโ€™s semi-keyless. Also I have a stop lock on- hopefully itโ€™s enough to make the job harder for whoever decides to try and nick it.
Gen 1 Macan Turbo in Carrera White
Air, 21โ€ wheels ACC Pano SurCam 18w LEDs PS+, Int Light Pack
Heated Seats and Steering, Spare wheel, SC, Heat&Noise insulated
Ext Leather, Sports+ Bose+TV tuner
Std Turbo exhaust, E&Drive, Sports Design Package
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

My other concern is that whether insurance will rise dramatically if vehicles are keyless...?๐Ÿค”
Gen 1 Macan Turbo in Carrera White
Air, 21โ€ wheels ACC Pano SurCam 18w LEDs PS+, Int Light Pack
Heated Seats and Steering, Spare wheel, SC, Heat&Noise insulated
Ext Leather, Sports+ Bose+TV tuner
Std Turbo exhaust, E&Drive, Sports Design Package
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Hardly state-of-the-art but at least they declare the risk for your ยฃ497 add-on!

The Porsche Entry & Drive System uses state-of-the-art technology. However, it cannot be completely ruled out that the key's wirelessโ€จ encryption code is intercepted and used to open or steal the vehicle
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Just donโ€™t spec it, had it previously and you get lazy, never new where my key was apart from the fact it was within a few metres, either in a coat pocket, briefcase, computer case, travel luggage or just left in the boot. All fine until you actually want to remove it, just got to find it first! Much happier with a key that has to be handled/inserted and not at all interested in carrying it in something akin to an old tobacco tin,certainly not interested in fitting some steering wheel lock from the 80โ€™s as a deterrent. I remember fitting some 700 company vehicles with them and the cars still got nicked. Highest loss area at the time were Leeds and Liverpool, interestingly never lost any from the South West. So answer today definitely donโ€™t spec it and maybe Move ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿค
Previous Porscheโ€™s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Paul

Post by Paul »

๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰ ah....the South West......!

Maybe thatโ€™s why my car Is still on the drive (and not just the ๐Ÿ•ท๐Ÿ•ท๐Ÿ•ทs)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Paul wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 pm ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰ ah....the South West......!

Maybe thatโ€™s why my car Is still on the drive (and not just the ๐Ÿ•ท๐Ÿ•ท๐Ÿ•ทs)
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Previous Porscheโ€™s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6