Ethics

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

davetronic wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:19 am My twopennth having been involved in electronic systems for 40 years...
Software is developed for the PAS, involving significant costs, as a necessary component of the car. An “upgrade” like PAS+, which is obviously part of the original development is just a plug’n’play exercise - connect, download, re-set. Used to do it all the time, minimal work for big profit (when it didn’t go wrong....)
On extras, coming from a Maserati where most everything except individual choice wheels were included, the Porsche configuration system seems painful - but transparent.
And if you think Porsche is bad, try configuring a Range Rover Velar. £65k+ just to get a half decently specced 2.0l 4cyl diesel.......
TBH, although with me “every pound’s a prisoner”, I actually like a no discount philosophy also. Getting it right buying a Merc these days is scary! £5k off new cars in the showroom, I was offered £6.5k discount on an order without even haggling. Who knows what the right price is or what residual value will be?
totally agree, I also like the no discount / even playing field - the inconsistent discounts elsewhere is madness, always have a fear of being 'seen off'. Out of interest a C63s coupe, not a crazy spec - £13-16k discount - discuss
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

A more subtle rationale perhaps is trading on the idea of the human desire for individuality. The knowledge that your Porsche is unique. And by exploiting that emotion, to squeeze as much money out of you as possible in its pursuit.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

My SE (OPC) once said that they only get paid commission on the cars they sell and not any extras.

He told me the popular options to spec but it didn't stop me adding a several more. I just didn't like seeing blanks on the console :D
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

I agree very amusing posts, with almost everyone one of them confirming that the brand, drive & desirability of Porsche win us over everytime regardless if it's a base car or a fully loaded car. It's all about personal taste. I rejected 2 macan 1s due to technical faults but here I am 15 months later in another, without a single regret.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Most of us (but not all) are now addicted to the marque! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

It does work both ways. Porsche do make the effort to look after their customers.
I was invited by my OPC Sheffield, to attend the PEC at Silverstone with a guest for a full day, having a taster of all the models. So yesterday we went and experienced all the models, driving on track and open roads. All but the Cayenne, in that we were passengers on the off road circuit.
The day included breakfast and lunch. And a passenger ride with a National Rally driver, around one of the circuits, where the car never straight.
Our instructor in the Macan, told us that the common belief that it shares the same floor pan with the SQ5, is not wholly correct. As only the very front part, from the front bulkhead to the front cradle is common.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Fairynuff wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 pm This is my first Porsche, my previous experience is limited to ordinary ‘luxury' cars and never in my car buying life have I spent more than 20% of the base price of the car on 'extras' and it seems clear that the norm is 20 - 30% on extras. A question I am asking myself is . . are Porsche ‘extras’ simply a strategic business model option by Porsche to screw me for as much as they can get from me at any price (for price read integrity)?

I read a recent post giving a review on the S after the first 150 miles amongst which was regrets at not including the Power Steering Plus (£186) followed by information that this is a ‘software’ fix which could be done at the OPC at a cost greater than £186. So what? We all want power steering - why would anyone want to expend excess effort turning the wheel? When the car is being built, the cost of configuring that piece of software this way or that way must be zero so why have the standard configuration as difficult but could be made easy for £186? Is the reason simply the Porsche business model of creating ‘extras’ to generate money? And if it is, is that ethical?
Surely this is a prime example of an Oxymoron, ethics and car manufacturer? I'm sure most manufacturers will argue that not every customer wants X,Y and Z features and therefore a customer may build his car with the features he wants. A fair argument if you're spending £60k plus. I rarely buy new cars and therefore have to put up with items I don't want and/or items I do want that aren't there. I suppose it's like a tailor made suit compared to an off the peg job. I don't know if 'Power steering plus' is just a software rewrite or if there are some mechanical bits also involved.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:56 pm
Fairynuff wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 pm This is my first Porsche, my previous experience is limited to ordinary ‘luxury' cars and never in my car buying life have I spent more than 20% of the base price of the car on 'extras' and it seems clear that the norm is 20 - 30% on extras. A question I am asking myself is . . are Porsche ‘extras’ simply a strategic business model option by Porsche to screw me for as much as they can get from me at any price (for price read integrity)?

I read a recent post giving a review on the S after the first 150 miles amongst which was regrets at not including the Power Steering Plus (£186) followed by information that this is a ‘software’ fix which could be done at the OPC at a cost greater than £186. So what? We all want power steering - why would anyone want to expend excess effort turning the wheel? When the car is being built, the cost of configuring that piece of software this way or that way must be zero so why have the standard configuration as difficult but could be made easy for £186? Is the reason simply the Porsche business model of creating ‘extras’ to generate money? And if it is, is that ethical?
Surely this is a prime example of an Oxymoron, ethics and car manufacturer? I'm sure most manufacturers will argue that not every customer wants X,Y and Z features and therefore a customer may build his car with the features he wants. A fair argument if you're spending £60k plus. I rarely buy new cars and therefore have to put up with items I don't want and/or items I do want that aren't there. I suppose it's like a tailor made suit compared to an off the peg job. I don't know if 'Power steering plus' is just a software rewrite or if there are some mechanical bits also involved.
Its just software. But as 'Porsche' drivers by definition care about performance, handling and in this case 'feel' its easy to validate as a choice for an everyday SUV v a performance machine. One might think, though, that it could be offered as standard via a simple switch.

As one who opted for PSP - lots of tight parking involved - its much appreciated. Having said that I'm pretty sure that a simple algorithm aligned to driving style/circucmstances would probably do the job just as well.

But then again I'm not an accountant! :lol:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Well if it's just a software issue, then it should be available. I also have PSP and appreciate it. You could always put more air in the tyres! :D
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
happy days

Post by happy days »

I read the post about the zero frills Macan being unsaleable. As they say in the sticks around here - there's an arse for every seat. Meaning that if you have something for sale, someone somewhere will buy it - if the price is right.
Macan S D
718 S