Ethics

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

This is my first Porsche, my previous experience is limited to ordinary ‘luxury' cars and never in my car buying life have I spent more than 20% of the base price of the car on 'extras' and it seems clear that the norm is 20 - 30% on extras. A question I am asking myself is . . are Porsche ‘extras’ simply a strategic business model option by Porsche to screw me for as much as they can get from me at any price (for price read integrity)?

I read a recent post giving a review on the S after the first 150 miles amongst which was regrets at not including the Power Steering Plus (£186) followed by information that this is a ‘software’ fix which could be done at the OPC at a cost greater than £186. So what? We all want power steering - why would anyone want to expend excess effort turning the wheel? When the car is being built, the cost of configuring that piece of software this way or that way must be zero so why have the standard configuration as difficult but could be made easy for £186? Is the reason simply the Porsche business model of creating ‘extras’ to generate money? And if it is, is that ethical?

VanB

Post by VanB »

I think that’s very funny. The Porsche business model is quite transparent - sell you a basic car and charge a fortune for every extra that every other manufacturer includes with their basic cars. It all adds or should I say contributes to the rumoured $20k per unit profit they Porsche makes.

BTW PS+ is Porsche’s biggest con ever. I’ll leave that comment at that given the risk of being un-PC [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Paul

Post by Paul »

A clear case of supply and demand (for the economic students amongst us😉)

Porsche supply, if the demand is there, they carry on supplying......ethics don’t come in to business profitability.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

Maybe read this thread from page 5 onwards: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5595&start=40
Last edited by Guy on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Post by Paul »

VanB wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:52 pm I think that’s very funny. The Porsche business model is quite transparent - sell you a basic car and charge a fortune for every extra that every other manufacturer includes with their basic cars. It all adds or should I say contributes to the rumoured $20k per unit profit they Porsche makes.

BTW PS+ is Porsche’s biggest con ever. I’ll leave that comment at that given the risk of being un-PC [emoji6]

PS+ (at the risk of upsetting Col and joining the un-PC brigade) is wholly unneccessary. Just because it's available doesn’t make it essential. The car has PAS as standard....those who want more need a Lexus....😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
VanB

Post by VanB »

Paul wrote:
VanB wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:52 pm I think that’s very funny. The Porsche business model is quite transparent - sell you a basic car and charge a fortune for every extra that every other manufacturer includes with their basic cars. It all adds or should I say contributes to the rumoured $20k per unit profit they Porsche makes.

PS+ (at the risk of upsetting Col and joining the un-PC brigade) is wholly unneccessary. Just because it's available doesn’t make it essential. The car has PAS as standard....those who want more need a Lexus....[emoji6]
A voice of reason at last!

Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Paul

Post by Paul »

VanB wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:02 pm
Paul wrote:

PS+ (at the risk of upsetting Col and joining the un-PC brigade) is wholly unneccessary. Just because it's available doesn’t make it essential. The car has PAS as standard....those who want more need a Lexus....[emoji6]
A voice of reason at last!

😊🥰

(Malbec Friday 😉)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

VanB wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:52 pm I think that’s very funny. The Porsche business model is quite transparent - sell you a basic car and charge a fortune for every extra
That's all good . . I don't have any problem with a business model of starting with a bog standard basic model which I might choose to pay money to have bigger wheels or softer leather but . . . . . a software switch costs NOTHING to do and should (ethically) cost nothing to do.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Fairynuff wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:09 pm
VanB wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:52 pm I think that’s very funny. The Porsche business model is quite transparent - sell you a basic car and charge a fortune for every extra
That's all good . . I don't have any problem with a business model of starting with a bog standard basic model which I might choose to pay money to have bigger wheels or softer leather but . . . . . a software switch costs NOTHING to do and should (ethically) cost nothing to do.
....so don’t choose that option if it upsets you 😁
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Fairynuff wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 pm This is my first Porsche, my previous experience is limited to ordinary ‘luxury' cars and never in my car buying life have I spent more than 20% of the base price of the car on 'extras' and it seems clear that the norm is 20 - 30% on extras. A question I am asking myself is . . are Porsche ‘extras’ simply a strategic business model option by Porsche to screw me for as much as they can get from me at any price (for price read integrity)?
I don’t know where you get 20% to 30% from? I’d say the norm is nearer to maybe 10% to 15%. Some on here say that maybe 10% of the base price on extras is about right. Anyone spending 20% to 30% on options is definitely well above the norm. My extras were only about 4% or so, but then I bought winter wheels/tyres and am now spending money on modifications... :oops: :lol:

Not sure about Porsche screwing us. Or if they are, we are willing victims. ;)
Last edited by Wing Commander on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018