Macan S steering is heavy

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Realdeepseadiver

Post by Realdeepseadiver »

Hi Guys,

I've bought a 2017 Macan Diesel S. I collected it yesterday and find the steering is extremely heavy at low speed. Before you say it I'm a (North Sea) Saturation Diver
so no, not a 7 stone weakling.
My last car was (from new) a 2012 Audi Q7 also on 21"s and had no issues with that.
Any ideas? The dealer was Independent with very good reputation but not OPC and is several hundred miles from where I live.

Are there any known issues with the EPAS?

Many Thanks,

Sam.

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Welcome to the forum, Sam, and congrats for your Macan S.

Regarding the heavy slow speed steering, I would suggest contacting your local OPC to discuss if the Power Steering Plus (PS+) option can be activated into your car, as I believe this option can be added to existing cars, as it’s a software addition which can be retrofitted.

PS+
Speed-sensitive power-assisted steering system. Reduces steering effort during manoeuvring and at low speeds
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Sam

Doesn’t sound right. I wonder if something is wrong? I take it the tyre pressures are okay?
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Realdeepseadiver

Thanks Guys,

Tyre pressure are spot on. I will ask about the PS+ Option being retro fitted? The company who I bought it from have suggested either getting it back up to them to be looked at or get it in locally for a diagnosis.

I think it needs front tyres too - rears are ok but I'm going to buy a set of Michelin Latitudes - but not from my local Porsche Centre!

Any advice on tyres?

Thanks again.

Sam.
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

I would not add PS+ right away but get it checked first. Enabling PS+ costs around £300.

The steering is heavier without PS+, but not extremely heavy.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

I would get a price for tyres from your local Porsche centre.In my experience they will near match the prices you get from other places, and you know they have been fitted correctly, especially the pressures and also ,again my experience, they will look after your alloys better
Realdeepseadiver

Thanks Rhys I'm going there on Thursday to discuss the steering and ask about a set of (all 4) tyres.

Ben it's booked in for a diagnostic on Thursday too. Good advice and well received. Thank You.
IMORTAL_Indian

Post by IMORTAL_Indian »

Having purchased a used car from a private seller, is there any way of knowing if I have PS+ activated or is it a case of going to OPC? (I have a MY16 GTS)
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

I would say there's something wrong with the car, we have 21" without PS+ and the wife has no issue whatsoever.
I've been really impressed with the Latitude (3?) so far and they're barely run in.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
RGS

Post by RGS »

! had PS + retrofitted at my OPC cost £241 as I found my steering heavy at low speed manoeuvring . The difference is very subtle but definitely helps. For reference my vehicle rides on Air with 21" wheels.