Macan S steering is heavy

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

To add my own half penneth to Peter’s spot on response.

Most people simply do not know about the power steering on a Macan.

Also there have been dozens of posts about PS+ here all one has to do is search.
From the Configurator ( click on the circled i against each extra to find more details about it ):-

PS+
Speed-sensitive power-assisted steering system. Reduces steering effort during manoeuvring and at low speeds
Note - the text says it is a Speed Sensitive System.

In practice that means that at parking speeds you get maximum assistance and it reduces its effect to nothing at higher road going speeds.

I have PS+ and have been diving Macans for three years with it and I find zero difference in steering feel between the Comfort and Sport modes.

Years ago we found that PS+ is software only and the number of turns of the steering wheel, lock to lock was the same for factory fitted PS+ and for a non PS+ Macan.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I think you have to choose between the steering being a bit heavy when parking or being fairly light. I have PS+ and am glad I have it. The effect has disappeared by 30 mph so in my view, well worth having. You don’t need the extra feedback at this speed from less assistance. You should be able to turn it on and off yourself in the settings - but you can’t!
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Col Lamb wrote:To add my own half penneth to Peter’s spot on response.

Most people simply do not know about the power steering on a Macan.

Also there have been dozens of posts about PS+ here all one has to do is search.
From the Configurator ( click on the circled i against each extra to find more details about it ):-

PS+
Speed-sensitive power-assisted steering system. Reduces steering effort during manoeuvring and at low speeds
Note - the text says it is a Speed Sensitive System.

In practice that means that at parking speeds you get maximum assistance and it reduces its effect to nothing at higher road going speeds.

I have PS+ and have been diving Macans for three years with it and I find zero difference in steering feel between the Comfort and Sport modes.

Years ago we found that PS+ is software only and the number of turns of the steering wheel, lock to lock was the same for factory fitted PS+ and for a non PS+ Macan.
Thanks for clarifying Col. I was talking from ignorant BMW driver's perspective. I will know better next week, when I collect the new hardware. [emoji6]
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Paul

Post by Paul »

Josthi,
Just a quick comment re the level of assistance; Mrs P had a 428 cab for a couple of years and as you say, BMW give a far greater level of assistance at all speeds.
Personally found it too light (coming from the Macan) but it’s something you get used to after a few miles.
Also re your initial post, PS+ is not active above 30 kph (or it might be mph?) so won’t help your fatigue in everyday, open road driving
Last edited by Paul on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Macan steering heavy? Really?................. Really?
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

My first two Macans had standard power steering which I found to be ok. My current car came with PS+ which certainly makes multi storey car park manoeuvring easier.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Have you driven the new 2.0l? I just test drove the new 2.0l and wonder if it’s substantially different to the 3.0l S which is what I may go for, if I can wait until the proposed September delivery date :(

Will try a nearly new diesel in the meantime to compare...I.m used to big turbo diesels and the Macan 2.0l just didn’t have the low down torque I’ve grown to love (even though the PDK works hard and doesn’t scream too loudly)!

It’s a big jump from an A5 coupe but I’m up for it!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Geezer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:47 pm Have you driven the new 2.0l? I just test drove the new 2.0l and wonder if it’s substantially different to the 3.0l S which is what I may go for, if I can wait until the proposed September delivery date :(

Will try a nearly new diesel in the meantime to compare...I.m used to big turbo diesels and the Macan 2.0l just didn’t have the low down torque I’ve grown to love (even though the PDK works hard and doesn’t scream too loudly)!

Welcome.

When you try a Macan SD then I am pretty sure you will like it.

A couple of tips though, depending upon the age and software of said SD which the engine is in Comfort mode (Sports button unlit) you may find the initial response a bit sluggish, especially the gearchange. Put it in Sport mode and it transforms the car into a car far more suitable for Town and Country use.

I only ever had my SD in Comfort mode then the Cruise Control was set but my gripe about the Audi sourced SD engine was that in the SQ5 it produced over 70 hp more than the Macan version.

Second tip is get the sales guy to printout the vehicle spec, all they need do is use the VIN number to bring it up on their system, you can then see and use what would normally be Extras this in turn will help you Configure your Macan to your own requirements.

The S is the one to go for, unless a Turbo is released that is.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ianst

Post by ianst »

Geezer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:47 pm Have you driven the new 2.0l? I just test drove the new 2.0l and wonder if it’s substantially different to the 3.0l S which is what I may go for, if I can wait until the proposed September delivery date :(

I have driven the new 2.0 amd new 3.0. the 3.0 is substantially better, definitely wait, we are moving from a TD too
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

This thread reminds me discussions about BMW and Audi getting too soft / too much power assistance in 2010 or there about.
Macan is more old school with modest assistance at low speed and much less if any assistance when driving at speed.
I actually prefer Macan to my beemer, it reminds me to reconnect both hands with the steering wheel for better driving experience.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4