Macan S steering is heavy

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Josthi

Post by Josthi »

Hi All,

I have taken Macan S 2019 Test drive today in Reading centre. The car drives well. I have couple of queries.

The steering is heavy in comfort mode. Feeling tired in a short distance. Do anyone notice this issue ?

Is there rear seat recline feature in new Macan?

Cheers,
Joseph

jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Yes, but if you have power steering plus activated ( a 5 minute laptop job they rip you off a few hundred quid for) then it helps a lot, but it's still heavier than most cars.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Macan is supposed to be a driver’s car. It is a balancing act. To get more feedback from the road one wants less power-steering aid.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Power Steering Plus is a £185 option on a new car that many (but not all) think worth picking.

I don’t think there’s any seat recline feature on the new model.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

When I had my test drive I did not notice heavy steering but then I was not told whether or not the car I was driving had the 'extra' power steering option. I think anyone new to Porsche should go on a weeks 'before you buy your new Porsche' course before spec'ing the car - it's really difficult.

I suspect that the things you notice are the things different from what you're used to on day to day driving of your current car, as I said I didn't notice heavy steering but I did notice heavy brakes; when I reached the first junction I put my foot on the brake pedal with the same degree of pressure as my current car (Q5) and the Macan wasn't stopping, I had to push down a little harder and I was really quite surprised by that.
Last edited by Fairynuff on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

or get down to the gym for a few sessions.
:lol:
Josthi

Post by Josthi »

Thanks guys for your replies. I am currently driving Bmw 5 series and planning to move to Porsche.

Noticed steering heaviness. In latest Bmw with active steering, you can handle in one finger.

Going to test drive glc43 and BMW X3 M40i.

Cheers,
Simon J

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Many purist drivers complain about BMW and Porsche going "soft" and reducing feedback.
Who knows, maybe steering wheel is getting obsolete and one of these days we will use joystick [emoji848]
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Riomacan

Post by Riomacan »

Question on PS+....does it only kick in at low speeds (parking) or is it lighter all of the time?
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Josthi wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:01 am Thanks guys for your replies. I am currently driving Bmw 5 series and planning to move to Porsche.

Noticed steering heaviness. In latest Bmw with active steering, you can handle in one finger.

Going to test drive glc43 and BMW X3 M40i.

Cheers,
Simon J
There are one or two forum members who maintain that if you can't twirl the steering wheel with one finger with the standard power steering and the car at a standstill, you're the proverbial "seven stone weakling". Some of the rest of us advocate going for Power Steering Plus.

You do need to be aware that the extra assistance is only available at parking speeds. As the car picks up speed the amount of assistance provided (both with and without PSP) falls away. It's the lack of assistance at speed that enables you to place a two tonne SUV within millimetres when taking bends.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel