Gtechniq

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Guys can anybody help me to find out what's going on with my car before & after cleaning. I had the GEN 3 Glasscoat applied on Macan 2 by dealer ready for collection. On first impressions in the showroom I was very impressed with the finish. However I have since noticed something strange happening which makes me think I could have a bit of a problem with the coating. Basically I was told that the cleaning process would be very simple going forward with no need to wax or polish just a simple rinse & polish, which sounded great so that was the reason I went for it! I was even told that if you I just rinsed the car with a powerwash the results would still be good due to the shedding performance of the coating. So thought I'd give it ago, I rinsed the whole car and then stood back and thought it doesn't look bad for just a rinse, however on closer inspection I noticed spots everywhere, glass, plastic & bodywork, not just a couple it was everywhere like the car had caught some sort of disease. I just thought ok the theory of just a rinse doesn't work so I proceeded to a proper was, exactly the same way I did on my previous Macans using just a good quality shampoo. Whilst I was applying the shampoo I could still see these marks appearing under the shampoo/water again I didn't think much at the time just thought it needs a good rinse. So rinse I did, did this very thoroughly, went to get the drying cloths, returned 2 minutes later and guess what? The spots appeared again! After a bit of head scratching I though ok just a wipe over should do it so again proceeded to do so. I found that although the spots did disappear it wasn't achieved by using light handed drying techniques, it was bloody hard work and if I didn't use pressure on every area the spots would remain as though I had only rinsed the damn thing. I'm hoping a detailer could advise me what could be going on before I start knocking on the Porsche Centres door, demanding the removal of the stuff they applied. Just to add if I rinsed my car again after it was dried off the spots would appear again.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Limescale.....try investing in a filtered water system or the final rinse (or dry off immediately with a soft micro-fibre drying towel)

More “ proof” that detailing / g-tech etc etc does need subsequent care by the owner....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

That will help but rainwater also contains impurities and can dry leaving water spots. You could try using a 50:50 mix of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle to help lift them with a quick spray and wipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Appreciate the feedback and suggestions but I didn't have this trouble on my previous cars or indeed my wife's which I cleaned at the same time using a fraction of effort & time in doing so with good results. I'm doubting the need for these coatings to applied and struggling now to see any benefits from it, more the opposite after my experience to-date. Ok I know the extra protection & warranty on paint work is extended but with the technology on current paint systems I do think it's adding something that's not really required. It is only my opinion and after spending that amount of money on it I think I'm somewhat entitled to so hope I don't offend anyone as I've seen results from detailers which are fantastic, so maybe that's where I went wrong. I did contemplate going to a detailer but I was worried that any future issues I had would in validate the warranty so reluctantly steered away from that option.
Riomacan

Post by Riomacan »

This sounds to me that the detailing process has not been done properly. You mention detailed by the 'dealer'. Was this at an OPC? How long did they take to do the detailing? The process should be at least three days. Paint correction, applying the coating and letting it cure in an enclosed space.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Hydrophobic coatings are much more susceptible to water marks which is why you didn’t see it before. You will need to use filtered water or dry the car. ‘Just rinse it and it will look great’ is not realistic with any coating.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Unfortunately you fell for the way over priced badly applied dealer special magic coatings that allegedly mean you hardly need to wash your car ever again!! It shouldn’t cause excessive water spots but maybe when you washed the Macan it was especially sunny so it dried quick??

Invest in a DI water filter canister for about £100. Rinse the car with an open hose with this water after washing and you won’t get water stains. Great investment and if you still get marks then you have a complaint to the OPC.

It is likely the stains are there from when they washed the car and did not dry off properly. In that case you will need a dedicated water stain remover, Fireball make a great one. That will remove any etched in staining but may be more a detailer job unless you fancy some work.
pmg

Post by pmg »

On my previous ceramic treated car, I found drying with large microfibre towels did not take long and removed such water stains even in a very hard water limescale area.

Most say very happy with Gtechnig platinum application from OPC so far. I did think about going full hog detailer route but did not want to lose my new vehicle for 3 days especially when did not know firm delivery date and due several UK car holidays this time of year. With a Dolomite silver car, I suspect less susceptibility to showing swirl marks than the darker metallic colours and hence less to be gained from the full treatment or my OPC has done an excellent job.

I recognise that with the Gtechniq Platinum package there is a need to top up with Gtechnig C2 from time to time for best long term water beading and will do so myself.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Excuse my greeness in all this but when you say "they" didn't probably dry it off properly what do you mean. When I picked the car up it was perfect with no apparent staining. As I said before even whilst I am washing it within a few second I can see a sort of ghosting of these marks whilst it's still wet. I recall the OPC saying the process takes a few hours NOT days or even a day! I got a signed certificate which says it was applied properly!! but that's not really giving me much reassurance to be honest, I recall getting a certificate for the 100m dash at school but I'm no Usain Bolt 🤣 Im starting to feel a little regretful now for not going down the detailer route. Is the water stain remover aggressive or is it a simple wipe on wipe off product?
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

I haven't posted here for a while because I've been on the Detailing World Forum which, as you might expect is populated by people who detail cars for a living and people who spend their weekends trying to get their car looking like a mirror. The result of my time on there has moved me away from the 3 day £1k++ Detailer Ceramic coat option to a more conventional process. I am still deciding on the final stage of that process (wax or synthetic wax) but I have come to the view that I can achieve a very acceptable level of shine/beading saving a shed load of money and any headaches as above AND I have all the gear to make the wife's car equally as shinny. Of course the downside is I will have to do it but I've or am getting all the tools and stuff with the money I've saved.