Gtechniq

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

I recently had a pipe leak onto my car and have had to take it to get some professional cleaning done.

I asked the detailer directly about Gtechniq (and also all the other "serums")- his words not mine..."unless you have OCD, want to burn your cash and be left with a sticky coating on a car that does very little in the way of keeping the car clean, don't bother. Get it washed, polished and have a coating of carnauba wax applied. Job done."

I must say, having read through this thread and seeing what's involved physically and psychologically, I would tend to agree!

Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

GMAN75 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:02 am I asked the detailer directly about Gtechniq (and also all the other "serums")- his words not mine..."unless you have OCD, want to burn your cash and be left with a sticky coating on a car that does very little in the way of keeping the car clean, don't bother. Get it washed, polished and have a coating of carnauba wax applied. Job done."
I'm with him. After spending a few weeks on the Detailing World forum and exploring the Gtechniq and other ceramic options with the experts I have bought a snow foam lance, Autoglym Tar, Magma, Super Resin Polish and Ultra HD wax. As soon as a dull day coincides with one of my clear diary days I'm going to get stuck into the wife's VW Golf which has never seen polish of any kind. The stuff is then there in the garage for the Macan and I know from examples I've seen on DW that the UHD wax will give VERY acceptable finish.
Riomacan

Post by Riomacan »

Fairynuff, if you're going to do your wife's car that way, suggest you get a clay bar and liquid to decontaminate it first. You will be amazed at the stuff it picks up. The application of super resin polish and wax will be that much more effective. To test, after you lance the car, run your fingers over the roof, if it feels a little gritty you will need to clay it. More time yes but worth it. :)
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Riomacan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:35 am Fairynuff, if you're going to do your wife's car that way, suggest you get a clay bar and liquid to decontaminate it first.
Thanks for that. I have to admit that the clay bar is the one thing I've not got. Why? Trying to cut corners but maybe I need to re-think that,
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

I now regret having the coating to the point that I may look at having it removed. "very sticky" perfect description. Does anyone know what the procedure, timescales & costs would be to have it removed properly, considering its on the Paint, Glass, Trim, Lights and front grille....
Paul

Post by Paul »

?

If it’s “very sticky” it bas been poorly applied / not left to cure properly between coats - I would go back to the person who sold it to you and express your concern.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

It's more everything sticks to it, not to touch. Dirt, dust, rainwater..... Looks a mess after a day or two after cleaning it.
Paul

Post by Paul »

A proper coating (g-tech / wax / ceramic ...whatever) should show “beading” when wet, ie, if you shower the car with a hose, or it rains, the water should collect in many, many droplets rather than running straight off.....

It will look a mess after a few days if there is contamination in the air, sahara dust storm, nearby incinerator, industrial estate, tree pollen etc etc....no coating will prevent the look, just makes it easier to clean subsequently.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Thanks Paul, it's just that when you are told by the centre that the coating will make the up keep easier and it clearly doesn't then that's annoying. I never had this issue on non treated cars, I add same colour too! For instance I have droplet marks on the black gloss window surrounds and also on the Matt black front vents. I can vigorously rub the black gloss trim with a microfiber cloth but i can still see the water marks, yes ok not quite as noticeable but still there. What's the explanation for that?
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Fairynuff wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:06 pm
Riomacan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:35 am Fairynuff, if you're going to do your wife's car that way, suggest you get a clay bar and liquid to decontaminate it first.
Thanks for that. I have to admit that the clay bar is the one thing I've not got. Why? Trying to cut corners but maybe I need to re-think that,
Fairynuff, totally agree with Riomacan if your going to prep any car, other than a new or newly painted car, decontamination is an essential first step to obtaining superior results. Just also ensure you don’t cut corners with the lubricant, use a decent detail spray not just soapy water. (Link to a previous post below)

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7729&p=160709&hili ... ic#p160709
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6