Gtechniq

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
PWMacan

Post by PWMacan »

andreas wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:47 pm
PWMacan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:25 pm I will likely give my car an occasional wash and sometimes take it to the dreaded hand car wash people. I will try to use the ‘proper’ ones rather the really cheap and mass market ones, but none the less I imagine this is still against recommended advice for those who value near perfect paintwork maintenance.

I would however like to protect the car from the worst of the elements and anything that makes it easier to clean is a good thing. I like the slick exterior look and the extras cited e.g. mitigating colour transfer to leather is attractive (I will have pebble seats!).

I repeatedly read that treatment like Gtechniq requires semi-skilled upkeep maintenance (i.e. more than I currently do on my current car).

Would you guys recommend Gtechniq (or indeed any other product) for someone in my position or would the benefits be lost on me? Would I be just fine with the car as it comes?
I'm afraid that nothing will protect your new car from the ravages of hand car wash people! Gtechniq would be a complete waste of your money if you're going to let Eastern Europeans scour the paintwork with a gritty cloth.

I have Pebble seats, and use Dr Leather's Advanced Leather Wipes to keep the seats looking good. These microfibre wet wipes get rid of any slight blue staining from denim jeans. After almost 2 years, my seats still look great.
Thank you. After spending longer than I care to admit thinking about this I’ve decided to suck it up and learn how to do some (entry level) detailing myself. So I now no longer intend to use the hand car wash people. However I still can’t decide if I should get the car treated or if looking after it myself (with perhaps an annual professional detail) would yield adequate results without the expense of the Gtechniq option.

andreas

Post by andreas »

PWMacan wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:44 am

Thank you. After spending longer than I care to admit thinking about this I’ve decided to suck it up and learn how to do some (entry level) detailing myself. So I now no longer intend to use the hand car wash people. However I still can’t decide if I should get the car treated or if looking after it myself (with perhaps an annual professional detail) would yield adequate results without the expense of the Gtechniq option.
Buy a resin water filter so you have pure rinsing water. Wash your car by hand using 2-bucket method and a microfibre mitt. Try not to polish it. If you feel the need for a shinier look, try Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine.

This regime should keep your car looking good. You can do much, much more, but it all starts to get a bit OCD. And, at the end of the day, you won't get any more money for it.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Unless you are completely OCD about cleaning your car, I personally wouldn't bother with paying for Gtechniq etc.

I did on my first Porsche (the Macan) from being carried away with enthusiasm for my first P-car! :oops:

I have not bothered on the subsequent three Porsches.

Ceramic coating may make the car a tad easier to clean, and give a nice beading effect, but on balance, I've decided it's not really worth the outlay.

In addition, I have worries about either having to have it touched up regularly by the Gtechniq detailer, or about what the paint finish on the car will be like when the ceramic coating begins to wear out... :ugeek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
dvearn

Post by dvearn »

andreas wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:47 pm
PWMacan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:25 pm I will likely give my car an occasional wash and sometimes take it to the dreaded hand car wash people. I will try to use the ‘proper’ ones rather the really cheap and mass market ones, but none the less I imagine this is still against recommended advice for those who value near perfect paintwork maintenance.

I would however like to protect the car from the worst of the elements and anything that makes it easier to clean is a good thing. I like the slick exterior look and the extras cited e.g. mitigating colour transfer to leather is attractive (I will have pebble seats!).

I repeatedly read that treatment like Gtechniq requires semi-skilled upkeep maintenance (i.e. more than I currently do on my current car).

Would you guys recommend Gtechniq (or indeed any other product) for someone in my position or would the benefits be lost on me? Would I be just fine with the car as it comes?
I'm afraid that nothing will protect your new car from the ravages of hand car wash people! Gtechniq would be a complete waste of your money if you're going to let Eastern Europeans scour the paintwork with a gritty cloth.

I have Pebble seats, and use Dr Leather's Advanced Leather Wipes to keep the seats looking good. These microfibre wet wipes get rid of any slight blue staining from denim jeans. After almost 2 years, my seats still look great.
What about applying the gTechniq EXO coating yourself, it's very easy and doesn't cost much to buy a small bottle.
In theory the effect lasts 18 months, but will help to keep the car cleaner and easier to wash.
You will need to carefully wash the car before applying and keep the car dry for 12 hrs (I think) after application for it to cure.
PWMacan

Post by PWMacan »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 pm
Unless you are completely OCD about cleaning your car, I personally wouldn't bother with paying for Gtechniq etc.

I did on my first Porsche (the Macan) from being carried away with enthusiasm for my first P-car! :oops:

I have not bothered on the subsequent three Porsches.

Ceramic coating may make the car a tad easier to clean, and give a nice beading effect, but on balance, I've decided it's not really worth the outlay.

In addition, I have worries about either having to have it touched up regularly by the Gtechniq detailer, or about what the paint finish on the car will be like when the ceramic coating begins to wear out... :ugeek:
Thanks Wing Commander - that’s the post I’m looking for. I’m certainly not OCD (about clean cars anyway!), I just want my new pride and joy looking pretty good most of the time. That’s settled then!

dvearn - thanks for the suggestion but there’s no way I trust myself to do that. I’ve only just bought my first quick detailer!
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

doesn't protect when some dick decides to run a key down the rear door either!!!

download/file.php?mode=view&id=15756&si ... f989541219

keying.jpg

New User

Post by New User »

PWMacan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:05 am Another question for those with Gtechniq CS Ultra and Exo. I understand from a detailer I am talking to that you need to have the paint work inspected annually by a Gtechniq accredited detailer to maintain the warranty.
I had the CS Ultra Black (Ultra plus Exo) applied to my i8 and it came with a 9 year (!!) warranty certificate against the coating failure that needed annual inspection to maintain. the coating was about £1100 and that was a few years back. Warranty is all bollocks in my view.

My Macan has Titan which my detailer says is now better than GTechniq but honestly who can tell the difference if it is applied well on properly prepared paint. I think it makes sense to give the car a proper detail every 3 or 4 years but nothing special in between and avoid the quick wash brigade
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

PBT147 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:33 pm doesn't protect when some dick decides to run a key down the rear door either!!!

download/file.php?mode=view&id=15756&si ... f989541219
That sucks. Why do people do this? Jealousy?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

just mindless actions, only the culprit will know what satisfaction they get from it!!
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

That is why US style gun laws are required here. 10 grams of 9mm lead will resolve a lot of issues..............
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'