What's your budget?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
TJP40

Post by TJP40 »

Guy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:11 am
TJP40 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:24 am Without trying to give too much away I seem to feel comfortable spending approx 25% of my annual income on a car but as soon as it rises to 30% I can't justify it.....annoying trait to have!
Annoying trait to have! Perhaps look at it from a different perspective and avoid looking at absolute values today. Put yourself a couple of years in the future, and consider whether you are more likely to 'regret' having spent the money (or the 'extra' money), or regret having not spent the money. I've applied this test to my two most extravagant purchases (Porsche and Rolex) and it's worked in my favour both times :D Conversely, this 'test' also stopped me buying a new house a couple of months ago!

But to put things in perspective, I have recently retired and had a similar struggle justifying the purchase of a £15K Dacia Duster for my wife :?
I think you nailed it! Perceived value. It's certainly built into my psyche. If my wife asked me to spend £15k on a Dacia then I would probably get greater value spending that amount on a good divorce lawyer! :lol:

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Paul wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:02 am Like all things in life, different people have different priorities.....luxury cars, Caribbean holidays, aged whisky, fine burgundy, health club memberships, big houses with electric gates and a tiled garage, the latest titanium over-sized driver, watches jewellery, handbags......the list is endless.

Pick and choose from the above........you can’t take it with you!
Exactly, Paul!

You only live once!

I have been highly ‘spontaneous’ on very large purchases (houses and cars) but will tailor my grocery shopping to save a few £££s! :lol: :oops:

Have never been a big spender on holidays or booze, but don’t mind admitting that my beloved 911 Carrera T was well north of 100% of my annual salary! :shock:

Each to their own. Life is for living. (But I make sure that if the worst happens, my kids will be in receipt of a decent inheritance, and I have a decent pension to look forward to, if I live that long!) ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:16 pm
Paul wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:02 am Like all things in life, different people have different priorities.....luxury cars, Caribbean holidays, aged whisky, fine burgundy, health club memberships, big houses with electric gates and a tiled garage, the latest titanium over-sized driver, watches jewellery, handbags......the list is endless.

Pick and choose from the above........you can’t take it with you!
Exactly, Paul!

You only live once!

I have been highly ‘spontaneous’ on very large purchases (houses and cars) but will tailor my grocery shopping to save a few £££s! :lol: :oops:

Have never been a big spender on holidays or booze, but don’t mind admitting that my beloved 911 Carrera T was well north of 100% of my annual salary! :shock:

Each to their own. Life is for living. (But I make sure that if the worst happens, my kids will be in receipt of a decent inheritance, and I have a decent pension to look forward to, if I live that long!) ;)
😉, come on Simon, you’ve got ALL of the above, in spades!!😂😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

All except the handbags... ;)
Simon

MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

I think I may be on the younger side of this forum (early 40's) and I do understand what you mean. For me though owning a Porsche has been a lifelong ambition, my husband knew about this from the beginning 20 years ago when I set up my Porsche Savings Fund, to save for my future dream. At the time and for a good few years after, pre-kids, we were both earning good salaries and saving as much as possible. We did have a few good holidays but we're home bodies so haven't spent lots on drinking or weekends away.

After the kids went to school I re-trained and now I'm working at a school as a Teaching Assistant, I love it, no stress compared to my previous life as an IT support contractor, haha. But .... when I decided to bite the bullet and finally buy my Macan, I was acutely aware of what my colleagues would think, I mean they are very unlikely to ever be able to afford such a car and I was worried that it was just too extravagant, especially as I have a friend struggling with finances while trying to re-train and get back into employment and another who is trying to get her son into a special school so he gets the support he needs. However, at the end of the day I have saved, I'm not being frivolous, it's something I planned for and why shouldn't I be able to finally do it?

So my conclusion (sorry for the essay :lol:) is if you can afford it, go for it. As for budget, I've not gone over the top, I selected the options I really couldn't live without and then added a couple more as additional luxuries but my spec isn't too extravagant but I know that it's going to be my awesome machine and I will LOVE it! :)

Sal
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

:D
Live the Dream.

Live Each Day like it will be your last.

You Only Live Once

etc.

Create a Bucket List when you are young and tick them off as you go.

8-)

The thing is I never, ever wanted a Porsche.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Love your back story, Sal. :)

I’ve been crazy about Porsches for as long as I can remember, but was less well organised than you! Finally bought my brand new Porsche at 50, but beware, am now on my 4th (and the best one!) and am still only a youthful 53! :D
Simon

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

If you love driving and road trips, why would you not splash out on a well engineered and specced car, if you can!? 😎

I have always gone to the maximum that I can afford with cars (mostly used cars, so I did not have the conundrum of what options to tick).
(And my friends are shaking their heads as they would never ever spend that much on their motor, just not their priority.)
Last edited by Semerka on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Riomacan

Post by Riomacan »

Sal, life is short. You have that dream and it's being realised, good luck to you.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I wasn't really looking for a Porsche specifically. I was looking for a "nice 4x4". Started with X5 and Range Rover etc.

The Macan just appeared to be perfect. :D :D :D

I did buy my Macan cash but like most on here went quite a bit over my original budget.