1000 miles in New Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
frankstar123

Post by frankstar123 »

Hi,

Just a quick update on my ownership of Macan S after 1000 miles.

Mpg pushing up to 25 now after engine loosening and driving a bit more mildly.

Negatives:

2 rattles that really annoy the feck out of me. Drivers door and dashboard near the chrono stop watch!. Infuriating , can anything be done?

Really missing steering wheel controls for "next" and "previous" tracks on music. Find it a pain to find it on the 10 inch screen. The volume control should be on the right side of steering wheel as its easier to turn the knob with left hand.

Gear level gets in the way of volume control.

Nav system crashed at least 3 times. Once with the sound going on full blast with the song replaying at 1 second intervals. Unable to switch off or do anything, maybe switching off ignition would have worked but doing 70 mph in outside lane of motorway at the time. Kids screaming with hands on ears. Brilliant...

Making phone calls is too fiddly; my 11 year struggled (proof if it was needed)

Heated seats dont work, waiting for dealership to ring me back to arrange it to be looked at next week.

Needs eighth gear. Gearbox does not automatically change up when in manual. Does not disengage unless you flick righthand paddle. (Audi / VW gearboxes do)

Not sure if my car actually has automatic braking like rest of VW group; cant find any setting to set aggressiveness of this like in my Audi. Had incident on motorway with car pulling infront and braking aggressively, my audi would have "dinged" and alerted it was braking. Saw nothing in my Macan.

Needs a sports exhaust. Far too quiet. Should be louder in sports + mode. My S5 got louder with age but Macan will still be quiet. If people aren't bothered about sound of a v6 then you should of bought an I-Pace.

There's lots of good stuff with Macan but honestly after coming from audi S5, and having a car £15k more expensive... its probably just on par to a S5. Yep i gave up on performance (a lot) for comfort and less mpg...

Raced an R32 rom 30mph yesterday did not pull away from him.

Think i expected more from a £60k machine :(
2019 Macan S, Air Susp, 21 RS Alloys, Pano, Sport Chrono Pack, Lighting Pack, BOSE, Standard seats, Parking Camera, Privacy Glass.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

You seem a tad unhappy with your S, sorry to read of your issues.

Sports Exhaust is expensive for what it gives, the one available in a Macan does give an aural performance boost but it drones very badly if left on whilst cruising. Despite having a different box arrangement over standard there is zero power or torque boost so basically PSE gives a switch to keep the exhaust flats open and a speaker attached to the body.

Auto braking as per your Audi is not or available as such in a Macan, there is a system integrated but only if ACC is included in your spec, for it to work the cruise control needs to be active and how it compares to the Audi one is unknown to me.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yes, sounds like you need to part-X it back to your beloved Audi!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Macman

Post by Macman »

Sounds like you’ve been unlucky with the seat heating and sound system fault. Hopefully you will have good support from your opc to sort out the faults, I found my local one very helpful with sorting out problems with our Cayman in the past.
Personally I love the PSE, it was money well spent. I don’t find it drones when cruising so it gets left switched on most of the time. I was told when I picked the car up from the Leipzig factory a year ago ( so it’s a mark 1) that the PSE system opens flaps which allow sound from the exhaust to feed into the body shell, it’s not a speaker system. I’ve not looked for these flaps, so I don’t know if my factory tour guide was right, but he should know.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
GoldJono

Post by GoldJono »

Sorry to hear you aren’t 100% satisfied. I think if you were to try the new 2019 S5 with a petrol particulate filter you would have the same issue with the sound. I switched from an 2017 RS3 with sports exhaust to the 2019 Macan S with PSE and whilst I miss the sound and the performance, I wouldn’t switch back. It’s better in just about every other way. The RS3 got lots of negative attention (people wanting to race) I have only had positive attention for the Macan S people taking pitches and saying they like the colour. I can also fit more lego in the boot of the Macan S.
Current: 2019 Macan S Mamba Green
Current: 2015 981 Cayman Saphire Blue
Previous: 2017 Audi RS3 Ara blue
Previous: 2007 Audi TT Ibis White
Previous: 1997 Mk 1 Mazda MX5
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

frankstar123 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 pm
Needs eighth gear. Gearbox does not automatically change up when in manual. Does not disengage unless you flick righthand paddle. (Audi / VW gearboxes do)
Unlike some other manufacturers, with Porsche manual means what it says.

No offence but your post reads as if you didn't research what you were buying before you ordered a Macan. It is not a S5 in disguise, it's an SUV. it's one of the best SUVs on the market but it's still an SUV so expecting it to outperform a sports saloon is unrealistic.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Dmk

Post by Dmk »

A875B3F2-7EE6-49E3-AFBF-7AAC1897F3C2.jpeg

All happy here.
Car looks good and drives well.
Have Opened taps fully today and for a suv there is enough power.
Drives nimbler than my cayenne and gives me the happy smile.
ianst

Post by ianst »

Dmk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:31 pm A875B3F2-7EE6-49E3-AFBF-7AAC1897F3C2.jpeg
All happy here.
Car looks good and drives well.
Have Opened taps fully today and for a suv there is enough power.
Drives nimbler than my cayenne and gives me the happy smile.
can you post more pics of the back please, want to see about whether to get the rear painted.
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Dmk - looks really great. Lovely colour and wheels.

Care to share your spec. How does it compare performance wise with your Cayenne D?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Sorry to hear of your experience to date. I've tried to help by answering in bold italics below.

Good luck
frankstar123 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 pm Hi,

Just a quick update on my ownership of Macan S after 1000 miles.

Mpg pushing up to 25 now after engine loosening and driving a bit more mildly. Its a Porsche, who cares about MPG 8-)

Negatives:

2 rattles that really annoy the feck out of me. Drivers door and dashboard near the chrono stop watch!. Infuriating , can anything be done? I had a rattle in my drivers door, turned out to be a loose cable which was sorted by the OPC

Really missing steering wheel controls for "next" and "previous" tracks on music. Find it a pain to find it on the 10 inch screen. The volume control should be on the right side of steering wheel as its easier to turn the knob with left hand. You can program the diamond button to do next track or previous (sadly not both), I've got mine programmed for next track.

Gear level gets in the way of volume control. Not had that problem myself but mine's a previous gen GTS so could be different on the Gen 1.2. You do know you can control the volume on the steering wheel?

Nav system crashed at least 3 times. Once with the sound going on full blast with the song replaying at 1 second intervals. Unable to switch off or do anything, maybe switching off ignition would have worked but doing 70 mph in outside lane of motorway at the time. Kids screaming with hands on ears. Brilliant... Again not had this myself Sounds like another issue for the OPC to look at.

Making phone calls is too fiddly; my 11 year struggled (proof if it was needed) Again not had this problem myself, I tend to use Siri to dial my calls but if I do use the phone book I use the right hand rotary knob to scroll through it rather than the touch screen.

Heated seats dont work, waiting for dealership to ring me back to arrange it to be looked at next week. Sounds like they will have a few issues to look at while it's in. Ask for a loan car and you might get something nice to drive for a day or 2.

Needs eighth gear. Gearbox does not automatically change up when in manual. Does not disengage unless you flick righthand paddle. (Audi / VW gearboxes do) Not sure why you think it needs another gear. Manual means manual in the PDK box, if it automatically changed it wouldn't be manual, it will however revert to auto if no gear changes are made within about 10 seconds. In Sports or Sports + it will hold the gear selected for longer to higher revs, that's the way it's been programmed.

Not sure if my car actually has automatic braking like rest of VW group; cant find any setting to set aggressiveness of this like in my Audi. Had incident on motorway with car pulling infront and braking aggressively, my audi would have "dinged" and alerted it was braking. Saw nothing in my Macan. Never found myself in a position to find out although in my previous GTS I had Adaptive Cruise and this would brake accordingly if the vehicle in front did the same. Probably worth checking what spec your car came with if it wasn't an option you didn't choose.

Needs a sports exhaust. Far too quiet. Should be louder in sports + mode. My S5 got louder with age but Macan will still be quiet. If people aren't bothered about sound of a v6 then you should of bought an I-Pace. You can spec a sports exhaust, did you not listen to examples with and without this before confirming your spec? If its a big issue you can have it retrofitted.

There's lots of good stuff with Macan but honestly after coming from audi S5, and having a car £15k more expensive... its probably just on par to a S5. Yep i gave up on performance (a lot) for comfort and less mpg... I've never driven an S5 so can't compare but I wonder if you tried a Macan before you ordered one and when you ordered one if you were clear what the differences in spec were and therefore what you would need to add to make you happy, they really are 2 different cars.

Raced an R32 rom 30mph yesterday did not pull away from him. Why would you want to race an R32, you're driving a £60K Porsche and have nothing to prove. If you do, you can retrofit Sports Chrono which might give you the edge you're looking for.

Think i expected more from a £60k machine :( Perhaps you've bought the wrong £60K machine, but I hope you get your issues resolved and get a better experience in future
Last edited by Miopyk on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25