Macan or Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Keval1001

Post by Keval1001 »

Hello

I was hoping for some advice and thoughts please.

I have driven black Minis for the past ten years and am currently driving a two year old JCW convertible which I love. However, I do want a change and I do feel more paranoid about a convertible on London streets. Also in my late 30s so maybe time for something more grown up!

I was therefore thinking about the Macan. I was looking at the Macan but note the S is only £2.5k more for what looks like a lot of performance.

Would be keen to hear thoughts. I love the sportiness of the JCW so do want to retain some of that.

Many thanks

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Keval1001 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:58 am Hello

I have driven black Minis for the past ten years and am currently driving a two year old JCW convertible which I love. However, I do want a change and I do feel more paranoid about a convertible on London streets. Also in my late 30s so maybe time for something more grown up!

I was therefore thinking about the Macan. I was looking at the Macan but note the S is only £2.5k more for what looks like a lot of performance.

Would be keen to hear thoughts. I love the sportiness of the JCW so do want to retain some of that.

Many thanks
Go and test drive both. Easiest answer. Oh...and test drive both IN LONDON IN TRAFFIC. You're going into a SUV from a Mini!
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Keval1001 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:58 am Hello

Many thanks
Welcome to the friendliest of motor forums :)

Have a long test drive of both the 2.0L and the 3.0L to see which suits you best. But given you drive a JCW I would imagine you'd plump for the S. As you say it's not a lot more up front. MPG will be worse but then you wouldn't buy a Macan at all if that was your primary concern. It's a fantastic car, whichever you go for. I have a 3.0 SD and it's brilliant :D
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
T4LGO

Post by T4LGO »

I have had extensive tests in both.. the S is far better.. you get extra kit too aswell as the engine, I think it will hold its value better. The S is Good value in comparison.
Kermit the Mamba Green Macan S .. http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIFXUV9
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

JCW to Macan... you should probably test Macan Turbo (gen 1) [emoji51]
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Keval1001

Post by Keval1001 »

Indeed. I do worry about going from a JCW to a Macan but then the 0 - 60 seems better on the S.

I’m not a massive car techy but do love the sporty and quick ride of the current
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Test drive both.

On paper both are quicker 0-60 than your JCW, published Porsche 0-60 times are always more than actual.

On the road in the City either would work but the 2.0 will need more effort on your part to make progress.

Do get the SE to give you a printout of the spec of the cars you test drive and take images. This info will come in useful in the hours you will spec on the Configurator site.

As a guide most buyers at the moment seem to add c£12k of Extras.

The test cars will probably have PASM, you can tell as one of the switches will show a shock absorber icon, no lights is Comfort mode, there are then two Sports modes. So do try these during the test drive, the Sports modes only tend to be really noticeable on rough road surfaces and when hustling along country roads. Additionally there is a Sport button which engages Sport 1 mode on PASM and gives a more aggressive engine and gearbox map.

Enjoy your test drives.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

T4LGO wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:35 am I have had extensive tests in both.. the S is far better.. you get extra kit too aswell as the engine, I think it will hold its value better. The S is Good value in comparison.
Do you actually get any extra Kit?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
T4LGO

Post by T4LGO »

Yes.. but not much.. bigger standard alloys, aluminium door plates, bigger brakes (6 pot vs 4 pot) painted in silver, black gloss interior, grey rev counter and 4 round real exhausts... I think thats it ? So probably 2ks worth if you could spec it..
Last edited by T4LGO on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kermit the Mamba Green Macan S .. http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIFXUV9
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

As said, test drive both if possible.

Very much depends on what sort of driving you are going to be doing.