SIM Card with data only

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
amf

Post by amf »

Hi guys

my new S is finally at the dealership - will collect later this week as it's getting gtechniq etc
video i got this morning: https://video.citnow.com/vsYmL5nwHY7

Can anyone suggest which data only sim to go for? I heard Three but just thought i'd double check.

many thanks

Charliemonkey

Post by Charliemonkey »

Hi

I have bought a couple of the Three cards, they work fine.

Cheapest I found were from a company called My Memory, £27.99 for 12gB, valid for 12 months.

Lovely car by the way - Enjoy !!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

amf wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:36 pm Hi guys

my new S is finally at the dealership - will collect later this week as it's getting gtechniq etc
video i got this morning: https://video.citnow.com/vsYmL5nwHY7

Can anyone suggest which data only sim to go for? I heard Three but just thought i'd double check.

many thanks
Check o2. Their deals start from £12 a month and sometimes you get lucky with one offs. I'm not a heavy data user so my deal is dirt cheap at £9.99 a month.
davewf

Post by davewf »

I'm using Smarty £7.50 for 2 Gig which I hardly use so get credits for not using it.

I use my iPhone to download apple Music etc and just use the Smaarty to handle the connect stuff.

They seem good I asked a question via email and they had an auto reply saying they would reply in 90 minutes and lo and behold they did. I like that.

https://smarty.co.uk
amf

Post by amf »

excellent! thanks guys, I will check them all out.
JJW023

Post by JJW023 »

Can I ask what functions having a data SIM card enables? Is it just to enable a Wi-fi hotspot that people can connect to or does it also do anything else? Just wondering if it’s something I should be considering.. thx
2019 Macan S, Volcano Grey
Moose

Post by Moose »

ID mobile is £5/mo with rollover data and minutes thrown
in. My main use is google destination search and traffic info which is handy.
Night blue S petrol, March 2017
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

JJW023 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:31 pm Can I ask what functions having a data SIM card enables? Is it just to enable a Wi-fi hotspot that people can connect to or does it also do anything else? Just wondering if it’s something I should be considering.. thx
Streaming

In car WiFi

Internet browsing

Google 3D etc

What it does not do is provide the real time traffic, that is provided by a hidden SIM and is free for a while and it then becomes subscription based direct with Porsche. My free period has expired and currently I have no live traffic updates showing, but as my Macan is laid up for a few weeks it does not yet matter.

BTW
The cheapest Data SIM is the prepaid valid for 12m card with 12Gb data for a one off cost of £28

EDIT
One more thing the SIM enables you to download updates.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Wed May 01, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

JJW023 wrote:Can I ask what functions having a data SIM card enables? Is it just to enable a Wi-fi hotspot that people can connect to or does it also do anything else? Just wondering if it’s something I should be considering.. thx
Instead of having a dedicated SIM card for the Macan, you can also hotspot your Macan to your phone data.

Having a SIM card enables you to stream music. I think that the new Macans have an imbedded SIM for all the other functions as Col Lamb said above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
JJW023

Post by JJW023 »

Thanks a lot Col and Semerka.. very helpful

I guess I should get one of these too then..

Many thanks
John
2019 Macan S, Volcano Grey