SIM Card with data only

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
T4LGO

Post by T4LGO »

Semerka wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:48 am
JJW023 wrote:Can I ask what functions having a data SIM card enables? Is it just to enable a Wi-fi hotspot that people can connect to or does it also do anything else? Just wondering if it’s something I should be considering.. thx
Instead of having a dedicated SIM card for the Macan, you can also hotspot your Macan to your phone data.

Having a SIM card enables you to stream music. I think that the new Macans have an imbedded SIM for all the other functions as Col Lamb said above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I can use my phone (android) data package to stream Amazon Music on the PCM ?

I have a good deal on my mobile with 32 gb pm and would like to use that data in the Macan using the phone as a hotspot (I do the same in my Holiday cottage for netflix ect)

Tal
Kermit the Mamba Green Macan S .. http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIFXUV9

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

JJW023 wrote:Can I ask what functions having a data SIM card enables? Is it just to enable a Wi-fi hotspot that people can connect to or does it also do anything else? Just wondering if it’s something I should be considering.. thx
Instead of having a dedicated SIM card for the Macan, you can also hotspot your Macan to your phone data.

Having a SIM card enables you to stream music. I think that the new Macans have an imbedded SIM for all the other functions as Col Lamb said above.

I do not think that it is just the new facelifted Macans.

My Turbo is a 2016 and as I stated my real time traffic has ceased to function and when I log in to the My Porsche portal website it says that a Subscription is now due to enable real time traffic. So with that I am assuming that there is an embedded SIM to give the real time traffic and other possible functions.

It needs researching further.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

T4LGO wrote:

So I can use my phone (android) data package to stream Amazon Music on the PCM ?

I have a good deal on my mobile with 32 gb pm and would like to use that data in the Macan using the phone as a hotspot (I do the same in my Holiday cottage for netflix ect)

Tal
Yes, tethering your car to your phone is the same as having a SIM (as far as I know).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Col Lamb wrote:
Semerka wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:48 am Instead of having a dedicated SIM card for the Macan, you can also hotspot your Macan to your phone data.

My Turbo is a 2016 and as I stated my real time traffic has ceased to function and when I log in to the My Porsche portal website it says that a Subscription is now due to enable real time traffic. So with that I am assuming that there is an embedded SIM to give the real time traffic and other possible functions.

I see, my Sept 2016 built Macan does not have imbedded SIM, even though it has Connect Plus (I was told by Porsche connect people).

There is an imbedded SIM in our April 2018 built Cayman, as by then the Connect was a standard equipment, as is in the Macan, I think. [emoji848][emoji3061]

Our stable:
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Davidone

Post by Davidone »

I was told by my OPC that all the plugin sim does was turn the car into a wifi hub. All other stuff works with imbedded sim.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Davidone wrote:I was told by my OPC that all the plugin sim does was turn the car into a wifi hub. All other stuff works with imbedded sim.
Music streaming doesn’t work with embedded SIM.

Our stable:
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

This is what you get free initially then with a subscription

193B66B5-13AE-4C9E-990A-CCCF62B72025.png

D845BC20-C9D7-410C-9681-A74BFE913D98.png

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Davidone

Post by Davidone »

Col
I take it that's in addition to the nav and info package free for first two years then £159 per year?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Semerka wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:17 pm
Col Lamb wrote:
Semerka wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:48 am Instead of having a dedicated SIM card for the Macan, you can also hotspot your Macan to your phone data.

I see, my Sept 2016 built Macan does not have imbedded SIM, even though it has Connect Plus (I was told by Porsche connect people).

There is an imbedded SIM in our April 2018 built Cayman, as by then the Connect was a standard equipment, as is in the Macan, I think. [emoji848][emoji3061]

I'd be surprised if your Macan doesn't have an embedded SIM Semerka. The embedded SIM handles all the Connect Plus stuff, ie real time traffic information, etc:

https://www.porsche.com/uk/connect/

This is free for the first two years but then becomes subscription based, which is the bit Col refers to.

The plug-in data Sim creates a wifi hotspot which you can use (instead of the Porsche data offering) for internet services such as music streaming etc.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on this, there are other members better qualified to go into more detail!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
amf

Post by amf »

good resource here if anyone needs it: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/the-ho ... rs-2481975