Keyless Entry

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
DougL

Post by DougL »

Just to update this... Porsche keyless entry now sends the keyfob to sleep when no movement is detected so it is no longer vulnerable to relay attack. Thatcham have now rated the security as "Superior"

SmallWheels

Post by SmallWheels »

A good thing about the Macan is that you can order it without keyless entry - which I did. One less thing to worry about.
2020 Macan S: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLWMC5M3
2019 BMW i3S (for local trips and Mrs Smallwheels)
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

SmallWheels wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:42 am A good thing about the Macan is that you can order it without keyless entry - which I did. One less thing to worry about.
I find keyless entry to be a greater risk versus the convenience it provides. Plus, with the Macan, I understand you still have to turn a dummy key? Apologies if I'm wrong.

The rental car I currently drive has keyless entry, but I still use the fob to release the boot tailgate as standing at the back waving my leg left and right is more time-consuming than pressing the button.

Plus, if my trousers connect with the underside they get dirty!
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Mistertoad wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:30 pm I keep my keys in faraday purses when they are in the house, 2 for £7.95 on amazon.
Beware of cheap and ineffective wallets. Many can deteriorate quickly and will not prevent signal leakage.

To test, take the wallet with the key enclosed next to your vehicle and test whether the door opens when you grab the handle. If it does, the signal is not being contained.

Do this on a regular basis.

I had a couple of samples of these https://shop.ford.co.uk/collections/ant ... can-wallet which I think I offered to members on here.

I think you can buy direct from the supplier https://www.tvl-ltd.co.uk/ but you may have to register.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Bazza06 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:57 am
SmallWheels wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:42 am A good thing about the Macan is that you can order it without keyless entry - which I did. One less thing to worry about.
I find keyless entry to be a greater risk versus the convenience it provides. Plus, with the Macan, I understand you still have to turn a dummy key? Apologies if I'm wrong.

The rental car I currently drive has keyless entry, but I still use the fob to release the boot tailgate as standing at the back waving my leg left and right is more time-consuming than pressing the button.

Another accessory or extra lifestyle enhancement 😳 that I am truly grateful my Macan was not specked up with From new. As regards getting your trousers dirty surely that’s easy to avoid, have You tried wearing a skirt or kilt @ all times ?
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Toddie wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:48 am
Bazza06 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:57 am

Another accessory or extra lifestyle enhancement 😳 that I am truly grateful my Macan was not specked up with From new. As regards getting your trousers dirty surely that’s easy to avoid, have You tried wearing a skirt or kilt @ all times ?
A skirt, yes. But that's a private thing.
Especially since the Judge's comments :lol:
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
DougL

Post by DougL »

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufa ... o-superior

You don't need to keep your key in a faraday cage anymore. The key does not emit a signal when it is not moving. Relay attacks are therefore useless. And I wouldn't do without keyless entry, although sadly the Macan doesn't have a "kick under bumper to open boot" function. And yes it does have a dummy key type thing, more like a knob than a key though
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

+1. The addition of the shut down a simple solution. I too like the keyless.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I have keyless and would definitely spec it again.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

DougL wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:27 pm https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufa ... o-superior

You don't need to keep your key in a faraday cage anymore. The key does not emit a signal when it is not moving. Relay attacks are therefore useless. And I wouldn't do without keyless entry, although sadly the Macan doesn't have a "kick under bumper to open boot" function. And yes it does have a dummy key type thing, more like a knob than a key though
My previous car, AMG E class had that. Didn’t always work that well and you could look a right twat behind your car.

Mind you the 992 has a function to open the bonnet which involves waving your hand near the badge - that looks odd too like you are rubbing its nose because you love it !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S