Keyless Entry

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I have it on my Vitara and its very handy although as its hardly the target for high end thieves so I'm comfortable with questionable security side of it. Handy as it is I don't think I would be comfortable with it on my expensive Porsche SUV.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Rab J wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:09 pm I have it on my Vitara and its very handy although as its hardly the target for high end thieves so I'm comfortable with questionable security side of it. Handy as it is I don't think I would be comfortable with it on my expensive Porsche SUV.
The Porsche system now has the highest Thatcham approval and is not subject to relay attack:

https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/sec ... er-rating/
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Sounds like it’s now a perfectly safe option so would always tick the box as it’s a extra little level of luxury I like.
tetsuto

Post by tetsuto »

Just looking at buying a used Macan. I’ve got keyless on my current BMW and find it to be really convenient.

Any idea why mode year Macan the movement sensor was brought in? Would a 2017 have the same key?
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

tetsuto wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:48 am Just looking at buying a used Macan. I’ve got keyless on my current BMW and find it to be really convenient.

Any idea why mode year Macan the movement sensor was brought in? Would a 2017 have the same key?
I couldn't say with any certainty, but I believe the new key technology is quite recent.
Whether they can retrofit would be something to ask the dealer.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

This is a good question and I've been trying to see if my 2018 has this or whether it's purely a Gen 2 thing.

AFAIK it's just a motion sensor in the key. If the key isn't moved for a while, it turns off the keyless entry function. It's assuming that the process of simply picking the key up and/or walking to the car will wake the key in time for you to open the doors. While it's sat in the house it doesn't need to be on.

I can't see any reason why the new style key couldn't be used on the old models, assuming the RF tech was identical.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

One of my neighbours had their E-Pace stolen last week using the keyless entry hack. I always thought that this idea was one convenience too far and would make it easier for criminals to nick cars. Hopefully he'll get it all sorted with his insurance.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Botis

Post by Botis »

I had keyless on my last Macan and found it really good. Just being able to have the key in your pocket and walk up to the car and it open is really convenient. No fumbling for the key and therefore less chance of dropping it.

My latest Macan does not have it and I'm really missing it. Feels like a backward step not having it but was finding it so hard to source a car that ticked all the boxes so something had to give.

Would spec it without hesitation on a new one.
Last edited by Botis on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
2017 Macan Turbo

Gone
2016 Macan SD
RGS

Post by RGS »

Mercedes cracked the problem years ago, just a double click on the key fob shut the battery down so no signal could be emitted. Trouble was they never told their customers so many got stolen when they didn't need to have been.
My Macan hasn't got keyless and I thought the false key thing was weird when other manufactures fitted an engine start/stop button instead, anyway I don't miss the keyless go and can't see the problem of having to click to open the door or rear hatch, some cars haven't even reached that stage yet. My key is colour coded and it's nice to see it instead of in a pocket or handbag.
geomacan

Post by geomacan »

RGS wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:26 pm Mercedes cracked the problem years ago, just a double click on the key fob shut the battery down so no signal could be emitted. Trouble was they never told their customers so many got stolen when they didn't need to have been.
My Macan hasn't got keyless and I thought the false key thing was weird when other manufactures fitted an engine start/stop button instead, anyway I don't miss the keyless go and can't see the problem of having to click to open the door or rear hatch, some cars haven't even reached that stage yet. My key is colour coded and it's nice to see it instead of in a pocket or handbag.
With a Porsche one, If you hold both the Open and Close together it disables Keyless Entry in case you want to stop the key transmitting