Keyless Entry

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SMC

Post by SMC »

For everyone who has this and is concerned about the relay systems now used to steal our vehicles, follow the link below. It's available for both the older and new keys from Porsche.

https://keylessprotector.com
Current - 2018 GTS Carrera White
Gone - 2015 SD White

SMC

Post by SMC »

If anyone is interested in this product see the video below of a review carried out by Shmee, it definitely seems to work,

Current - 2018 GTS Carrera White
Gone - 2015 SD White
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

Group Buy opportunity??

James
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

So - with Keyless Entry Protector you have to tap the fob, wherever you have placed it - in your pocket or bag or whatever - twice, and within a specified time period, and with a certain amount of force. Hmmm.

If only someone could come up with something simpler. Like... a key fob that you can press once to open and again to lock. Now that would be game changing!

What's that - it's been universally available since the 1980's?? Ohh...

Am I alone in thinking that keyless entry is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist??

James
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Shortshift wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:56 pm So - with Keyless Entry Protector you have to tap the fob, wherever you have placed it - in your pocket or bag or whatever - twice, and within a specified time period, and with a certain amount of force. Hmmm.

If only someone could come up with something simpler. Like... a key fob that you can press once to open and again to lock. Now that would be game changing!

What's that - it's been universally available since the 1980's?? Ohh...

Am I alone in thinking that keyless entry is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist??

James
Completely agree.

Every time I've loaned / hired a keyless entry car I walk away wondering if I've really locked it. With KE Porsche you also have a a 'false' key already in the ignition! Doh!!!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
VanB

Post by VanB »

Call me old fashioned but I actually think that there is something reassuring about putting a key in the ignition to start the car. I had keyless entry on the Macan because my wife drove it reguarly and she hates fishing a key out of her handbag for some reason (probably because she can never find anything in there) but would never have it again.

I do wonder about the smartphone entry on the new Tesla Model 3 and whether or not that is more secure assuming you don't lose your phone.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

I have removed the 'dummy key' from the ignition slot thingy so:

(a) it no longer looks to a casual passer-by that the keys have been left in the car, in the ignition,
and
(b) I have to insert the key fob into the slot and twist it to start the car in good-old time-honoured fashion.

So that end of things is sorted; it's just the vulnerability to relay-attack that remains.

More hassle than it's worth!

James
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Shortshift wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:28 pm I have removed the 'dummy key' from the ignition slot thingy so:

(a) it no longer looks to a casual passer-by that the keys have been left in the car, in the ignition,
and
(b) I have to insert the key fob into the slot and twist it to start the car in good-old time-honoured fashion.

So that end of things is sorted; it's just the vulnerability to relay-attack that remains.

More hassle than it's worth!

James
I have done exactly that in my Cayman, it also serves as somewhere to store the real key rather than it sitting in your pocket which I hate
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

If you buy a vehicle with keyless entry you must accept the risks that come with it.

You must also accept the risk that if you buy an expensive and desirable vehicle it could be a target for theft, although much cheaper vehicles such as the Fiesta and Corsa are also popular targets of theft.

My personal view is that if I had keyless entry I would not protect the key it any more than I would normally do (keep away from the front door and out of sight from external windows).

Unless obliged to do so I would probably not choose to have a tracker. It's insured and I would be reluctant to have a car back that is likely to have been harshly driven and potentially ripped apart whilst searching for the tracker device.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

I keep my keys in faraday purses when they are in the house, 2 for £7.95 on amazon.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S