Summer Winter Tyres

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

steve w wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:09 pm Col Lamb

Did you test drive the GT3

SteveW
Test drive it ...... they made sure it was locked when I arrived.

Absolutely stunning motor, I do not know why I did not take any images of it.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

RickZ wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 pm Is it easy to sell wheels for a Macan when you decide to move to a different vehicle. Roughly what % of your purchase price would you expect to lose.
You can get 20" spyders with tpms and tyres fitted (no centre caps though) for £3300 after a bit of discount. Even if you wear out the tyres if you don't kerb the wheels you'd be looking at £1500-1800 when you come to sell them.
Last edited by jonnydrama on Sat May 18, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Ferdie wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:29 pm As I read the "Jack" comment, it reminds me that I am curious to know if anyone has changed their own wheels over and if so were there issues getting the TPMS to hook up to the correct sensor and wheel location?
Yes I do mine myself. You just use a trolley jack and one of the hockey puck adapters with a raised slot in it. The car will automatically sync the second set of tpms sensors correctly, no coding etc required. Usually does it within a few miles.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

jonnydrama wrote:
Ferdie wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:29 pm As I read the "Jack" comment, it reminds me that I am curious to know if anyone has changed their own wheels over and if so were there issues getting the TPMS to hook up to the correct sensor and wheel location?
Yes I do mine myself. You just use a trolley jack and one of the hockey puck adapters with a raised slot in it. The car will automatically sync the second set of tpms sensors correctly, no coding etc required. Usually does it within a few miles.
You just need to “tell” the car in the multifunction display what tyres you fitted. I.e. size and if winter or summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Pirelli might have something to say about that change of F1 tyre brand :roll: :oops: :lol:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On a serious note.....if you do have to travel regularly when the temperatures are below 7C then winter tyres are well worth it and transform even a 2WD car on snow and ice. Always fit in sets of 4 of the same make and pattern and be prepared to scrap them when they are down to 3mm for best winter driveability. Acceleration, braking and stopping distance in those winter conditions are just so much better and safer on winter rubber.

When I used to have to drive on business, even in the generally balmy SW, they just gave so much more confidence that you will get to your journeys end, especially in the snow.

Now I don't bother as I do not HAVE to drive on snow and / or ice covered roads in the Macan. I just wait for the thaw before venturing out with all those other summer tyre equipped Brits! :o
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Two wheel drive cars on winter tyres will perform much better in winter conditions than a four wheel drive vehicle on normal/summer tyres. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

This is all the same old same old! A 2 wheel drive front wheel drive car on narrow summers will perform better than a RWD on fat summers!

The permutations are endless but I think everyone agrees that winter tyres are better in the winter and summer tyres are better in the summer.

Most of the UK rarely gets extremes of cold or snow (I can only remember a handful of frosts this winter and was playing golf in a short sleeved shirt in Feb) so the benefit of having a winter tyre and wheel set is marginal at best. Especially if you don’t have to drive in adverse conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:41 am Toto Wolff - “So what do you think of my new tyre strategy Lewis?”

Lewis - “I think it sucks. You’ve given me one set of extra hards and told me they’ve got to last all season! All the other guys have got three sets of softs, three sets of mediums, three sets of hards…”

Toto -“No, no, no Lewis, it’s just a marketing ploy by Michelin to get us to buy more tyres that we don’t need. But just a minute, they’re telling me they’ve brought us a set of All Weather tyres which will last all year, rain or shine. Now that should give you a big advantage over the other guys.”

Lewis - "But Toto....."

Toto - "You'll be fine Lewis, just drive to the conditions!"
And Michelin will also ensure that the weather is permanently dry and consistently above the designated temperature.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

VanB wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:57 pm This is all the same old same old! A 2 wheel drive front wheel drive car on narrow summers will perform better than a RWD on fat summers!

The permutations are endless but I think everyone agrees that winter tyres are better in the winter and summer tyres are better in the summer.

Most of the UK rarely gets extremes of cold or snow (I can only remember a handful of frosts this winter and was playing golf in a short sleeved shirt in Feb) so the benefit of having a winter tyre and wheel set is marginal at best. Especially if you don’t have to drive in adverse conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree it's the same old same old. Those of us who think winter tyres are worthwhile will continue to use them and those who don't won't. If you hold strong views then opinions expressed on a forum are unlikely to change them.

The one point about winter tyres that rarely gets mentioned is that because of the extra sipes in the tread they are much better at handling standing water.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel