Summer Winter Tyres

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

I'm interested in how many UK Macan owners change tyres for winter/summer. I haven't on any of the 30 odd cars I've owned maybe it's not required in the UK as we don't have as much snow as Macan owners in other countries.
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold

Paul

Post by Paul »

Opening up (another) big debate there Rick....😂

Personally I don’t, but I live in Bristol and don't have to use my car if I don’t want to. Early morning commutes and late nights home are a distant memory for me.

Others will take the view that if a tool exists to make you safer why would you not use it....?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

We change to winter tyres once the early morning temperatures drop to less than 5 degrees. We need to drive every day on minor roads regardless of conditions and like to keep the Macan sure footed in the Surrey hills. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
VanB

Post by VanB »

Plenty of threads on this subject, Rick and even more opinions! The party line is probably winter wheels and tyres should be fitted but many, including me, don't bother.

The reality is that the Macan is pretty sure footed in all conditions if you adapt your driving style appropriately and it's the other buggers on the road that are the biggest problem whether you have winter shoes on or not.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Paul

Post by Paul »

Seen by many on here but “proof” that summer tyres are “OK”
(on an empty road, late at night and quite slowly😂😂)

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

Ooooops my apologies if I've repeated an existing thread.
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

VanB wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 pm Plenty of threads on this subject, Rick and even more opinions! The party line is probably winter wheels and tyres should be fitted but many, including me, don't bother.

The reality is that the Macan is pretty sure footed in all conditions if you adapt your driving style appropriately and it's the other buggers on the road that are the biggest problem whether you have winter shoes on or not.
Yep I agree VabB you drive to the conditions, there's no accounting for other idiots. In 40 years of driving I haven't made seasonal tyre changes on any of the 30 odd cars I've owned and never encountered any issues in the snow because I drove to the conditions.
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I’ve run AWs and as above I drive to the conditions.

I’ve always been of the opinion that the argument in most of the U.K. comes down to at which end of the temperature spectrum you’re prepared to compromise.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Summer Tyre braking performance is the most superior as is the handling.

Winter tyres offer the best cold temperature performance.

All Seasons are a compromise, reduced braking performance but more grip than Summers in low temperatures but less grip than Winters.

I only have Summers but I live in a mild part of the UK, I do not need to drive on ice or snow if I do not want to. If I lived in more extreme weather areas then I would have a set of Winter tyres and have them put on for the cold months.

Last Winter we did have snow and my Turbo on its 20” Michelin tyres was perfectly drivable with care and a very gentle right foot. That said my Jag X Type on its Summer Pirelli P Zeros handled cold weather and snow considerably better than my Macan does.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

No ifs or buts winter tyres in the cold are like night and day to summer ones.
I have used winter tyres on both the BMW and 911 and they transformed a very heavy (and expensive) paperweight into a machine that you could use every day regardless of the weather.
I have not put winter tyres on the macan yet as I have never needed it even on 20's, I have no doubt that putting winters on would give me lost more grip but on the winters the last few years they have coped fine - But :-)
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(