Summer Winter Tyres

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On-Track wrote: ↑Sun May 19, 2019 10:19 am
The one point about winter tyres that rarely gets mentioned is that because of the extra sipes in the tread they are much better at handling standing water.
Standing water is evacuated by the longitudinal groves, the greater the "sea to land" ratio the better the tyre is for jettisoning standing water out to the rear πŸ’§πŸ’§πŸ’§

The sipes provide a squeegee effect and so they are most effective on damp surface, or in the case of winter tyres "cutting" into the frozen water - be that ice or snow. ❄❄
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Semerka wrote: ↑Sat May 18, 2019 11:08 am
jonnydrama wrote:
Ferdie wrote: ↑Thu May 16, 2019 5:29 pm As I read the "Jack" comment, it reminds me that I am curious to know if anyone has changed their own wheels over and if so were there issues getting the TPMS to hook up to the correct sensor and wheel location?
Yes I do mine myself. You just use a trolley jack and one of the hockey puck adapters with a raised slot in it. The car will automatically sync the second set of tpms sensors correctly, no coding etc required. Usually does it within a few miles.
You just need to β€œtell” the car in the multifunction display what tyres you fitted. I.e. size and if winter or summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thaks Semerka that is great info, you have answered fully --- FYI, I asked out of curiosity I am not likely to put winters on my 911. We now have a 4x4 Mini Clubman for those days! But the Mini garage told us they had to connect the OBD, put the computer in wheel setup-mode and spin each wheel as the computer asked for it to identify each corner correctly, I thought another way of forcing you to use them. Sounds like one up for Porsche on DIY simplicity, also you probably look after the wheels better as ours came back with some scratches :(
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Ferdie wrote: ↑Sun May 19, 2019 5:19 pm Thaks Semerka that is great info, you have answered fully --- FYI, I asked out of curiosity I am not likely to put winters on my 911. We now have a 4x4 Mini Clubman for those days! But the Mini garage told us they had to connect the OBD, put the computer in wheel setup-mode and spin each wheel as the computer asked for it to identify each corner correctly, I thought another way of forcing you to use them. Sounds like one up for Porsche on DIY simplicity, also you probably look after the wheels better as ours came back with some scratches :(
Hmm, how strange about the BMW / Mini, sounds too complicated and surely not everyone goes to a garage to have the wheels swapped. :?

On the Macan, you probably don't even need to change the choice in the multifunction display, the pressures are the same across the different wheel / tyre sizes.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
happy days

Post by happy days »

On a slightly different note - but still tyre related.

My 718S needed a new set of tyres a while ago. It was fitted from new with Pirelli PZeros, but I felt they were harsh and the 'Ackerman affect' was noticeable, even in summer and really terrible in winter. I have usually had Michelin tyres on previous Porsches and like them.

I researched quite a bit and opted for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 19" size. Interestingly, they are not N rated by Porsche, however the 20" siblings are - they are standard for on the GTS.

My car got serviced last week and the report card came back with yellow warnings for non-N rated tyres, which I thought was interesting.

The Michelins really ride so much better than the Pirellis, the car is so much more comfortable in normal driving. Grip and noise levels similar to the PZeros. Ackerman affect totally gone.

On a Macan note, I have just ordered a new set of Michelin Latitude Tour HP tyres after reaching - get this - 60,000 miles on the original tyres!!!
Last edited by happy days on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macan S D
718 S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Interesting - are these Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Tour tyres N rated?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
happy days

Post by happy days »

Yes they are. Came as originals on our Macan SD.
Macan S D
718 S
pmg

Post by pmg »

happy days wrote: ↑Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:20 am Yes they are. Came as originals on our Macan SD.
Was it Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Tour (which are summer tyres) or Michelin Latitude Tour HP (which are all season tyres) that came as original on your Macan SD.

I would have chosen an all-season option if available for my post facelift Macan S but the all-season option seemed to disappear from configurator about 12 to 18 months ago. I suspect Porsche UK realise there is money to be made by supplying 2nd wheelsets for winter use
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
happy days

Post by happy days »

Sorry - clarified and edited the original post. They were in fact Michelin Latitude Tour HP all season tyres. I still can't believe the grip that they afford as they are a 'compromise' tyre.
Macan S D
718 S
pmg

Post by pmg »

happy days wrote: ↑Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:49 am Sorry - clarified and edited the original post. They were, in fact, Michelin Latitude Tour HP all-season tyres. I still can't believe the grip that they afford as they are a 'compromise' tyre.
Thanks, many Macan owners both here and in the USA seem to really rate them and like them, a pity Porche UK not offering them any longer as original equipment on new vehicles
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
happy days

Post by happy days »

Having said that, I'd say about 75-80% of the journeys are on motorways.
Macan S D
718 S