New Macan S MPG?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

Hi Guys,

Trying to complete a spreadsheet to help decide between a few practical 5 door car options for my next car - one factor is fuel cost - any guidance on MPG to be expected when run-in would be very much appreciated.

My present guesstimate for a Macan S is 20 MPG is that a reasonable estimate average for the Macan S?

I mainly drive short (20 minute) fairly hilly around-town journeys mostly in medium traffic, so a heavy right boot is not often an option, nor is getting much above 3rd/4th gear - once or twice a week I will go for a spin in the country maybe 40 minutes each way - driving moderately quickly. Maybe 4-5 times a year, I do 250 mile+ motorway slogs at the speed limit (ish).

The other cars being considered will all comfortably get between 32 and 45 MPG - and some of these are quicker, rarer and have more advanced tech than the Macan S - So the monthly fuel cost differential is not insignificant in informing my decision.

But then again, a Porsche is a Porsche.... (never had one)

cheers

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

20 or at best low 20s is about right IMO. I have no experience of the facelifted S but I doubt they are much if any easier on fuel than the older version given they now have a particulate filter to cope with. My GTS averaged 21 with a driving regime not dissimilar to your own. Other cars may beat the Macan on consumption especially if they are diesel or just cars rather than a SUV but then they are just a car not a Porsche. In the grand scheme of things over 10000 miles a year the difference would be at worse 1k, probably well compensated for by better retained value in the Macan. I have always found that if I look at the quoted urban consumption figures thats what my overall figure will be.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Paul

Post by Paul »

With the new WLT figures (or whatever their new acronym is) you should be able to get all the info you need on the net.

Even with the old style figures the comparaison between manufacturers on a like for like basis was always there irrespective of the reality vs the quoted figures.

The facelift S models have only really been around for a couple of months now so you may not get any really meaningful info yet.

To echo Rab above, my GTS has averaged 21.9 over the last 25000 miles and has cost me £6300 in fuel since Sept 2016 (I know, I know, sad isn’t it?😳)
If I had chosen a car returning 30 mpg it would have cost me £2K less in fuel over 30 months or £60 a month........in the grand scheme of things not really a material difference.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MancTom

Post by MancTom »

My fuelly app shows an average of 26mpg after 1000 miles in the new "S"
The best figure for a tank of petrol was 30mpg, achieved by my wife on a round trip of 350 miles to the Cotswolds.
The worst figure or better description "most fun" was 18mpg over the tankful by myself checking out the sport potential.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Since you joined the forum and prior advice that I have given my circumstances have somewhat changed.

Btw, I drive a Macan Turbo that in over 30 months ownership has averaged 22 mpg but the MFD readout has consistently showed 10% more mpg than actually experienced, my Macan SD also read 10% high.

The problem for me is that following a hip replacement op I have only this week being able to get into the car and to drive it.

The problem is I am struggling getting in to the car, additionally my Brother has more severe mobility problems than I and he really struggles to get into the front passenger seat and I mean he struggles.

I looked up your earlier posts and found what you had written about your Wife so do be sure that your Wife can easily access and egress a Macan before you commit to buy one if you choose to do so.

Maybe your OPC can loan you a Macan for a couple of days so you could be really sure it fits the bill.

Keeping fingers crossed that it works out OK for you.

BTW, what other cars are you considering.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
pmg

Post by pmg »

smoothound54 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:37 pm Hi Guys,

Trying to complete a spreadsheet to help decide between a few practical 5 door car options for my next car - one factor is fuel cost - any guidance on MPG to be expected when run-in would be very much appreciated.

My present guesstimate for a Macan S is 20 MPG is that a reasonable estimate average for the Macan S?

I mainly drive short (20 minute) fairly hilly around-town journeys mostly in medium traffic, so a heavy right boot is not often an option, nor is getting much above 3rd/4th gear - once or twice a week I will go for a spin in the country maybe 40 minutes each way - driving moderately quickly. Maybe 4-5 times a year, I do 250 mile+ motorway slogs at the speed limit (ish).

The other cars being considered will all comfortably get between 32 and 45 MPG - and some of these are quicker, rarer and have more advanced tech than the Macan S - So the monthly fuel cost differential is not insignificant in informing my decision.

But then again, a Porsche is a Porsche.... (never had one)

cheers
I am upto 1300 miles in my new post facelift S. When initially cold the car starts off showing about 19 mpg and then streadily rises. Depending on length and type of journey I have had 25 to 30 mpg. Cruising at 70 mph it seems to be doing about 33 mpg. Based on your stated use I would expect about 25 plus mpg.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
frankstar123

Post by frankstar123 »

2000 miles in on a new S. ~24mpg from ~18 when brand new. Pretty good IMO but then again i have faulty A/C in the car so that probably saves 1-2mpg :P
2019 Macan S, Air Susp, 21 RS Alloys, Pano, Sport Chrono Pack, Lighting Pack, BOSE, Standard seats, Parking Camera, Privacy Glass.
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

Thanks for all the excellent help guys - these are very helpful - what a great forum this is.

And sorry to hear about your change in circumstances CoL - hope things improve soon if that is possible.

I will use 25 MPG - (I think I was being a bit pessimistic at 20MPG).

That is pretty good for a 2 tonne fast petrol 4X4 - That swings it back towards the Macan (where my heart sits)

I aim to be making a decision in the next 2-3 months - depending on delivery-time advice.

We will of course try the shortlist out first.

My plan for change-over is 1st week in 2020. So I have some time yet - it's nice to plan.

Cheers
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

Col...

Other cars on our long-list are (sorry but you did ask)

Audi A7 quattro 55 tfsi and the A7 40 tdi quattro too - both have the S-tronic box (the tiptronic on the bigger A7 diesels is rubbish)

Both practical 5 doors, mild hybrid and shedloads of tech. Even the little 2litre oil-burner does 7 secs to 60, tops 155 (500nm torque), and gets 45+ MPG. I drove the petrol 55tfsi and that was rapid and smooth - was showing 33MPG on the computer - a bit iffy over potholes, but it had 21" wheels - same engine family as the Macan S

possibly the Ausi SQ5 tdi if it comes out in time.

also considering the merc Eclass estate 4matic 400D, the GLE coupe if it comes out in time and The GLC coupe which is expected in UK next month
(We have a C-class estate at the mo and love it - but it's a tad boring).

The RR Velar 300 or 275 V6 diesel (missus only just get's in so could be a risk)

The XF estate diesel 4X4 300bhp V6 - due a facelift which should be a hike in interior quality and tech - later this year

also... the new Cayenne Coupe looks Ok but i reckon too high for missus (shame)

we could ave just reached panamera until the recent price hike pushed it right over the edge

So far, I think the main candidate is the A7 quattro - some good deals around at the mo.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

My average is 36mpg, but then it is the fuel of the Devil. :roll:
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.