Paint defects

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

I picked my car up 4 days ago. This evening I sprayed water over it to get the dust off and wiping it down I noticed blemishes in the middle of the bonnet. One looks like a cats paw and about 3 others smaller dull patches. Running as finger over the 'cat's paw' I can feel the dull parts lower than the shinny parts. I wanted to get the polish out to see it I could 'polish' it out but resisted the temptation. I sprayed it with some 'detailer' and gave it a good rubbing - made no difference. VERY disappointing in fact gutted at the prospect of what solutions might be offered me. Of course I have sent the pics to the OPC and will be on their forecourt first thing Tuesday morning. Any ideas / views?

blemish3.JPG

blemish2.JPG

blemish1.JPG

Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

These are the type of "blemishes" that a detailer would take care of, I think.

Even so, when I had mine done, he did say that there were other areas of the car that had significant "orange peel" effect that needed more than the standard mop an polish.

I agree that paint finishes are probably not all they should be or what we expect.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

At a glance one might suggest a possible cause of this was bird poo. I am absolutely sure that there has been no bird on in the time I've had it. During the time it was parked up in various car parks and prior to my car going into the OPC for preparation (polish) I presume it was covered with some protection - was it / what was it covered/protected with?
Paul

Post by Paul »

You’ll struggle to find the dull parts “ lower” than the shiny bits; more likely you’re feeling the drag from a bit if residue. Tree sap, (bird poo as above,) or just a bit less showroom polish than elsewhere.

It will have been covered with white plastic up until delivery to the dealership and then uncovered for inspection / PDI / prep by valeters. Then, parked outside.....then back into the showroom for handover.

It might even be greasy fingerprints from a final under-bonnet check.

It certainly looks more like something sitting on the surface than a genuine in-paint fault.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Did you go over the car inch by inch as I suggested you do in my response to your thread about what to do on collection? If you did, then these blemishes weren’t there then. If you didn’t...............

In answer to your question, most of the panels are covered in white plastic during transport and are only removed as late as possible prior to collection. If there were defects then I think the OPC would either have corrected them, or at least informed you for correction under warranty later.

Agree Paul’s comments above.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:25 pm Did you go over the car inch by inch as I suggested you do in my response to your thread about what to do on collection? If you did, then these blemishes weren’t there then. If you didn’t...............
No I didn't but I've had 4 days looking at it and didn't see it until this evening and that might have been the angle of the sun being lower in the sky. I got my wife out and she had to change angles several times to see it i.e. looking from angle A you don't see it, looking from angle B with the sun over your shoulder etc., I believe that even if I had gone looking for defects when I collected it I could easily have missed it. All that said, I can't see how the guy who cleaned / polished / waxed it missed it?
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Looks like bird lime or similar to me. Possibly even just water spotting if you are 'darn sarf' in a hard water area.

To utter the immortal phrase 'it'll polish out'
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Take it back to your OPC to get them to look it over and see what they say.

That said, this is fairly typical and why we advocate getting a car detailed if you are a bit OCD, defects on dark colours are easier to spot.

What a Detailer will do is wash and dry it, then clay it, then using a compound like Maguiers and a dual action buffer they will go over all the panels until you get the even smooth shine.

This buffing action alone can easily take a full day.

Hence a full Detail job by a Pro will be a least two full days since the ceramic coating should be left 24 hours to cure.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Maybe it’s traces of adhesive residue from the protective plastic film. The OPC should have spotted that, but perhaps it’s worth a try with Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover on a microfibre soft cloth. Other than that, as Col says, a trip to the OPC.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Agree with Paul’s comments, no defect in the paint the marr is on top of the clear coat, I would first sit a tissue soaked in bird poo/ sap remover on it for 5 minutes and then wipe away and finish with a light polish. Not sure if your car is Black or Volcano but in answer to your question what protection, this is how they arrive at dealers.

C77D7B47-5CB6-4137-9539-F398FD81167B.jpeg

P.S. it may actually be a cats pawmark 🐾🐾🐱
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6