Macan Reliability

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Andys

Post by Andys »

Hi All,

Just need a bit of advice from Macan owners.
My wife wants to buy an Evoque but have heard too many stories of how unreliable they are plus I don’t like them. For the same money I could get a 2-3 year old Macan which I love but can’t afford an unreliable car. Have had my Mazda since new for 7 years without a problem but obviously not as exciting as a Porsche. So any feedback on the reliability of your Macan would be appreciated especially for older models.

Regards Andrew

JBA

Post by JBA »

Hi, generally very reliable in my case (GTS). A few minor issues from new included rear wiper very noisy and also front passenger window slipping before closing. Both repaired under warranty. Mechanically sound but you may need to canvass opinion on diesel versions, many of which have had ongoing DPF issues.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
andreas

Post by andreas »

Buy from an OPC with Porsche approved warranty and you should be OK. Certainly infinitely better than any JLR product! Plus Porsche dealers are much more professional than the jokers at JLR dealerships.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

The dealers are in the main very very good and the car is serviced properly, I ran my 997 with over 100k miles on it and it drove as good as it did when it came out the factory.
Do consider getting a porsche warranty at £1000 a year it is virtual complete peace of mind and well worth while.
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
Andys

Post by Andys »

Thanks for the info everyone.
adam b

Post by adam b »

rossman999 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:00 am Do consider getting a porsche warranty at £1000 a year it is virtual complete peace of mind and well worth while.
This ^

Warranty on my Macan Turbo is 800/year or 1440/2 years - plus £235 cost off 111 check

Porsche are generally reliable but when something needs replacing the parts prices are eye-watering. Sold my 997 turbo - the final straw was an £800 bill to replace the stolen glass from my wing mirrors :o :o
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

The Macan seems to be a generally reliable car. However, apart from the DPF on diesels, there is a bit of an Achilles Heel with the transfer box.

I would recommend researching threads on this forum on the transfer box. Failure appears to be a bit random, in terms of age and mileage.

I’ve had no reliability issues with my Macan over 3 years and 25k miles.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Reliability is probably top of my list too. I really don't want an unreliable car no matter how fast it is.

I've have had mine for 4 years and it has been trouble free. :D :D :D

We also have an Audi TT which is heading towards 100,000 miles trouble free. Not sure if the Audi Q5 would be an option for you too.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I ran my first SD for just 8 months 10 K miles or so with nil issues.
Current GTS is coming up to 3 yrs in sept and on 27000 miles.
I’ve had the transfer box done but other than that it’s been trouble free (well, other than a shed-load of fuel and two rear tyres 😁)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Main issues:-
Transfer Box
DPF on diesels
Leaks into car from badly maintained Pano roof seals/drain
Ad Hoc issues with the infotainment system.
Engine mounts
Exhaust brackets

One more thing to ensure is the condition of the Discs and Pads, members have been quoted over £2k to change Discs and Pads.

Up to early 2016 the standard wipers had a tendency to judder, this was just the choice of supplier, a change to Bosch easily solved the problem so do check out wiper function.

Check with the OPC that all Service Campaigns and Software Updates (including maps if SatNav is included, it was an extra in early models) have been applied.

Do read up on the thread about extras, since the base and S models are fairly basic in what is included as standard.

Totally avoid any Macan that only has Halogen headlights, to say they are poor is being kind.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags