Clunking noise and vibration

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
sans

Post by sans »

Has anyone experienced a clunking noise when driving from standstill with the steering wheel almost fully turned? It happened to me a couple of times but it does not do it all the time.

Also occasionally when I start the car it makes a vibration that lasts a second. Once again it does not always do it

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Which model? What age and how many miles?

Difficult to tell if these two symptoms are related or not. The 'clunking' with wheel turned could be the Ackermann effect, which is normal, or the transfer box, both of which have been covered on here in some depth.

Are you able to record these issues on video, with sound? If so you could send the recording to your OPC if you're not near enough to drop in to them for a technician to have a look.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

Agree with Nick re the Ackerman effect giving a clunk (more pronounced when reversing on full lock)

The vibration could be the exhaust heat shield which has been discussed on here before.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
sans

Post by sans »

Thanks Nick and Paul. I am new to the forum so my apologies if these two topics have been discussed before. I need to look into what the Ackerman effect is as I have no clue.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

sans wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:12 pm Thanks Nick and Paul. I am new to the forum so my apologies if these two topics have been discussed before. I need to look into what the Ackerman effect is as I have no clue.
Welcome to the forum. :)

A quick search of the forum and/or Google etc will give lots of info on the Ackermann (or anti-Ackermann) effect.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

sans wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:12 pm Thanks Nick and Paul. I am new to the forum so my apologies if these two topics have been discussed before. I need to look into what the Ackerman effect is as I have no clue.
Very basically it is the tyres ‘scrubbing’ over the road surface, usually at full lock, due to changes in the steering geometry at the extreme lock. It is more pronounced in sports cars and can vary with different makes of tyre. It tends to happen more at lower temperatures. It not a fault and so if this proves to be what you are experiencing, nothing to worry about.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

If you are concerned then call in at your OPC for them to a quick check of the car.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags