SPORT CHRONO OR NOT

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

I wouldn’t use it myself. I hardly ever even use Sport mode.

I prefer just flicking the left hand paddle once or twice going into tight corners or whenever I want extra performance.

I also sometimes just put it in manual to give full control through twisty road sections.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman

Spud

Post by Spud »

Had SC on first 3 Macan’s, never used it as felt it was to fierce, not got it on No4 haven’t missed it, the same with the Bose sound system found the standard Porsche system more than adequate, I did have the compass on No4 just to break the dash line up
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
rosino

Post by rosino »

Same camp that it’s hardly essential myself. The sport plus I hardly ever used even on my 911s.. agree the auto logic for pdk becomes mad..

As for launch control, aside from showing friends or youtubers who really uses it? Makes you gain 0.2s 😀

The rotary switch sure looks cool, but the button for al in is a bit of a gimmick IMHO. Never felt I needed it in any of the super cars I had, not sure I will need it on an SUV.

Also was forgetting that in the 911 you get active engine mounts with it. And the lap timer could actually be used (I used it on my GT3 at spa for example). The latter function having improved over the years. But am not sure I will be taking my Macan to Spa first thing tomorrow morning 😂.

But again.. people might feel the need to tick the box, I preferred using the budget to add active safety features for example that should be standard. Or the sport exhaust to make it sound more decent at normal speeds, that I will use more than launch control and Sport+ I can tell you that.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

If you intend riding your Macan on the track then yes, it is a good option. For day to day use, not so much, unless you plan to participate in traffic-light Grand Prix.

I had a similar option in my previous car (diff brand) and I never used it, not even once. Sport and Sport+ mode is adequate for me.

Having said that, I have a compass in my Macan S, which nicely complements the dashboard. It is purely aesthetic feature, as with SatNav one doesn’t need a compass [emoji38]
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Pivot wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:04 pm
I had a similar option in my previous car (diff brand) and I never used it, not even once. Sport and Sport+ mode is adequate for me.
Sure you only get Sport + mode if Sport Chrono has been specced? :?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:49 pm
Pivot wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:04 pm
Sure you only get Sport + mode if Sport Chrono has been specced? :?
Was going to say that but it can be added aftermarket without the clock so mybe that is what Pivot has done?
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

My Macan S has only Standard and Sport mode, and it is perfect for my needs.

Apologies for confusion, I tried to say that my previous car, although different brand, had Econo, Standard, Sport and Sport+ with launch control and other party tricks... I have never used the launch control. Standard and Sport was my frequently used range.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
pjt1000

Post by pjt1000 »

I had the sport chrono in Boxster S .... think I only used it twice and that was more to play around with it. I have not bothered with it on my Mk2 Macan S. Prefer to spend the £ on other options.