Macan SD replacement - where next?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
smoothound54

Post by smoothound54 »

If it must be an SUV - the new (3 months since release) Merc GLE gets solid reviews - as did the old one - Coupe version due in a couple of months too

got some pretty trick suspension and a really class interior and tech - 400D is a peach - - good reviews

PH-DE (diesel hybrid) will come soon too and the ones in the e-class get good reviews - electric for day-today runs and then pretty decent diesel MPG since a diesel is more suited to lugging heav batteries around than a petrol.

Q5 PHEV gets decent performance - but not sure if rear space edges a Mac

Q8 (cayenne sized TDI) - but indifferent and sluggish gearbox

generally plug in hybrids don't pay the premium in top end cars - if you are doing enough miles - then you must be doing longer trips - so petrol a much larger slice of mileage - if you do lots of short runs between charges - then you ain't doing enough miles unless you live in the car.

just thoughts

cheers

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Lots of nice, used, low mileage Cayenne Diesels and SDs on Autotrader...

0EC7D30A-22B5-4464-8F60-A95FE5D6F0AC.jpeg

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
lgb1969

Post by lgb1969 »

smoothound54 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:59 pm Q8 (cayenne sized TDI) - but indifferent and sluggish gearbox
Yes saw a couple of reviews saying the gearbox was horrible considering how good the latest Q5 and Q7 variants were - very surprising for Audi
MY20 Cayenne E-Hybrid S - Quartzite Grey Metal
MY17 Macan SD - Volcano Grey (Sold on)
lgb1969

Post by lgb1969 »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments.
Will spend the weekend having a look at some of the cars suggested - have to say I am not really a fan of Land Rover design with the Evoque and Velar not doing anything for me looks-wise.
Must echo some of the comments saying stick with the Macan oil-burner, even experimented with altering my driving position (I'm 6'4") to give back some rear legroom but with a bad back from playing 20 odd years of rugby I need a large door entry and a comfortable driving position (for me) or my lower back starts to complain very quickly.
Some of the suggestions fall down on getting in or out easily and as mentioned my driving profile is probably ok for a thirsty Petrol but my come back is that in the Macan I go to fill up once a week whereas driving my previous car (Mazda CX-7 2.3T Petrol) I was having to go to fill up at least twice a week - the Macan is also a lot more fun on the back roads too!
Probably not quite in the EV place yet - I have been running the Jaguar iPACE app on my phone since February which shows what it would be like living with an EV - two (maybe even 3) 45min stops on my 9hr plus drive to IOW would have wound me up no end so I think hybrid is as far as I am prepared to go at the moment.
Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming - away to have a trawl through autotrader for low mileage Cayenne S Diesels
Les
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Must admit, owning both a Q5 and a Macan, the lack of rear legroom in the Macan is a bit of a let down. Initially went to look to buy a Cayenne after having a loaner when the Cayman was in, but got seduced by this brand new SD sat in the showroom which was the same price as the used Cayenne.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
SGDT

Post by SGDT »

BMW Alpina D5 - bigger than the Macan. Rapid and economical. 5 series very nice place to be. A bit of exclusivity as it's not your normal beemer.
PJDKEP61
lgb1969

Post by lgb1969 »

Good shout, but just seen the Alpina XD4 on the website - know it is no bigger than the Macan and no use for me but they have turned that X4 sows ear into a good looking silk purse - 22" Alpina alloys, sweet tailpipes and the spoiler - doesn't look like they have made them available in the UK yet though.
4 (yes four) turbos - 4.6s 0-60 and 167mph and combined touching 40mpg - stop it.....deep down it's still an X4 though :twisted:

pmg

Post by pmg »

I was considering new X4 before I ordered my Macan S. That is until I tried to get into the back seat in the Car on the BMW stand at Goodwood FOS last summer. There was a major issue with the low position of the seat in relation to the door position which I thought restricted the back seat to small children
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
johnd

Post by johnd »

lgb1969 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:46 pm Looking to upgrade my 2017 Macan SD purchased cash for something more roomy in teh back for my two daughter (11&15).
Interesting isn't it how our requirements vary. My 2016 SD has served me well but I find myself keen to find something a little smaller (shorter and slightly narrower) and lighter so as to feel more manoeuvrable. Sadly it's not a sector of the market that Porsche are targeting (smaller sports cars, yes absolutely, compact SUV's no). But it's just as tricky trying to find a suitable alternative once you've had a Macan.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly