New SQ5?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Morning Chaps

I note the new oil burning SQ5 is now available. I've had my SD since new in March 16 and I'm on 49k so I'll probably be looking to change
in the next year or so. I extended the warranty to 5 years so I've got until March 21 to decide.

With my mileage only a diesel works for me financially so with the demise of the Macan SD I'm considering a new or nearly new SQ5 in the next year or so.

Anybody had one or experience with Audi in general? It ticks all the boxes for me apart from it's not a Porsche :( however I may get a Cayman for weekends and giggles. For work and business I'll need to stick with a Diesel SUV and I hate Mercs with a vengeance.

Any advice?

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I had the old model diesel SQ5. Was a great car and a good choice if you do the miles
to justify needing a derv.
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

MCDK wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:03 pm I had the old model diesel SQ5. Was a great car and a good choice if you do the miles
to justify needing a derv.
I was looking at the SQ7 and SQ8 but they're just too much like tanks. The SQ5, being based on the Macan(or vice versa) would be spot on for me.

0-60 is now upped to 5.1s and 155mph so that would be perfect as I need to use the Devils fuel. I'm gutted to have to move away from Macan 2 but needs must I'm afraid. I'll miss having A Porsche but the SQ5 at least looks great and has some poke. I just spec up the Vorshprung(or whatever it's called, top model) and there's very little that needs to be added, it's well loaded. No heated steering wheel option though.

It came out at just over 70k OTR which is 2k over what I paid for the Macan. Seems Audi can sniff that they'll be Diesel Macan punters just waiting to be lured over to the dark side now Porsche have made Diesel Verbotten.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

why not keep the macan and get some mileage out of it, should be good for 250,000 plus
johnd

Post by johnd »

Problem with Q5/SQ5 is that the interior is starting to get rather dated, if that matters to you. It may have a great new diesel engine but the inside styling, infotainment etc has yet to catch up.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

gasgas1 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:02 pm why not keep the macan and get some mileage out of it, should be good for 250,000 plus
A good call if you are not one of those people that needs the latest model and you like your SD. If you could find an independent Porsche centre to maintain it at a reduced cost? Perhaps chip it to give it some more oomph later in life? ;)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

BigPhil wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:57 am Morning Chaps

I note the new oil burning SQ5 is now available. I've had my SD since new in March 16 and I'm on 49k so I'll probably be looking to change
in the next year or so. I extended the warranty to 5 years so I've got until March 21 to decide.

With my mileage only a diesel works for me financially so with the demise of the Macan SD I'm considering a new or nearly new SQ5 in the next year or so.

Anybody had one or experience with Audi in general? It ticks all the boxes for me apart from it's not a Porsche :( however I may get a Cayman for weekends and giggles. For work and business I'll need to stick with a Diesel SUV and I hate Mercs with a vengeance.

Any advice?

BigPhil.
I have a petrol SQ5. Just 22 months old, done nearly 22k miles. At 15k miles a year, I would say it’s marginal that you need a diesel, my car has averaged 30mpg (I mainly use it for long journeys) and the difference between it and a diesel Volvo before it is about £12 a week.... not much in the scheme of things...

Not sure about comments on the interior - I would take the inside above anything else available currently, including latest touchscreen Audi’s and Porsche’s....

It’s more of a refined cruiser than a sports car - but see above, most of my journeys are long ones, invariably on motorways. I don’t really need the last word in handling. Ride on 21s and standard adaptive suspension is a bit lumpy at times, air might be a better option. No real issues since I had it, a couple of minor recalls but otherwise I just use it.

I wouldn’t pay 70k for one though, pick the spec you really need and stick to more like 60k for best value.

Ask if you want to know any more, or try a petrol version...
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Wondering along the same lines, my SD is just coming up to 4 years and just had the letter from Porsche to arrange another extended warranty. I am down to 10k miles pa these days but do like the 600 mile + range of the diesel.

Had just rung local Audi dealer to enquire about the new Q5 hybrid before seeing this thread. Apparently no demonstrator for 4 months but I am in no rush and perhaps the Macan Turbo will be out for comparison by then.

Richard
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

johnd wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:39 pm Problem with Q5/SQ5 is that the interior is starting to get rather dated, if that matters to you.
The Macan is even more dated, if that matters to you. The Macan was launched in 2014, with its interior designed in the preceding years. As much as I like its interior, it's extremely dated compared to many other modern cars.

As it is, Porsche interiors tend to be quite bland when compared to the competition. However, even after taking that into account, the Macan interior is behind other Porsches such as the Panamera, Cayenne and 911.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

My SD is just over three years old and is specified just how I would have (with the exception of a heated steering wheel) if I'd bought it new. I just love it. I've owned V8 petrol cars and love the torque and noise in them but not the £500 RFL and 20 mpg. It's not so much the money as the inconvenience and the rip off government RFL policy. I love the torque of the diesel, the 600+ range but not the act of filling up with the smelly stuff. I have decided to keep my 23,500 mile Macan until they ban diesel or it fall to bits. I also love the interior being an analogue sort of bloke. Touch screens are a pain and a danger in my view, I'd much rather push a button. I wouldn't pay the stupid prices for a new car anyway even though I can afford it. I've bought one new 'prestige' car, a Merc, which lost 25% of the cost as I drove it home. Nothing clever in that.
I reckon once solid state batteries appear in BEV's, I'd go for one of them. Lighter than the current (no pun intended) batteries and more capacity (groan). Now if they had battery swapping terminals in garages, that would be a bonus. As for the Audi SQ5, it looks dull in my view, too boxy and my experience with the Dealers has not been a good one. I went to try a 3lt diesel Q5 and the boot was full of 'stuff' as the Sales manager had had it for the weekend and couldn't be a***d to clean it or empty it. Details matter.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.