Gen 2 Macan S or Gen 1 Macan GTS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Simon850

Post by Simon850 »

Hey everyone,

So I am in a bit of a dilemma, I am currently torn between going for a used Macan GTS or placing an order for a brand new Macan S. I know these cars are hugely down to preference but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Especially if you have owned both vehicles :)

The Macan S spec I am considering - http://www.porsche-code.com/PL95TDN9

Thanks,
Simon

DazGTS

Post by DazGTS »

I had the GTS and absolutely loved it , I have driven the new S it's a pleasure to drive but sounds nowhere near as good as the previous S, if your after a little bit of drama it would be the GTS all day long for me.
PWMacan

Post by PWMacan »

Before I ordered my facelift S I tested a 2014 Turbo for comparison. Sorry I don’t have any experience of a GTS.

The Turbo was unsurprisingly quicker and throatier but not all that different in real world performance.

The technology inside however really let it down. The nav screen looked really ancient - not just its small size but the resolution and type of system as a whole. This is in addition to the lack of inbuilt CarPlay as they have now.

I plumped for a new S for this reason, though I will always be slightly remorseful at how quiet the engine and exhaust is. If audibility is important to you then I would certainly drive both and consider the previous generation Turbo or GTS.
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Simon850 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:21 pm Hey everyone,

So I am in a bit of a dilemma, I am currently torn between going for a used Macan GTS or placing an order for a brand new Macan S. I know these cars are hugely down to preference but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Especially if you have owned both vehicles :)

The Macan S spec I am considering - http://www.porsche-code.com/PL95TDN9

Thanks,
Simon
Welcome to the forum :)

If it were me, I would definitely get the mk2 S simply for the upgraded tech :geek: Performance-wise there's not much in it between the S & the mk1 GTS. I understand there's a cachet with the GTS model and as others have said, more aural drama, but day-to-day I think you'd get more out of the updated PCM. But that's just my opinion; best to test-drive both and see what's more important to you :)
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
pmg

Post by pmg »

I was in a similar last Autumn but a new S won because with last years tighter supply, I could not find a GTS very near the spec I wanted

I agree about the new S being very quiet. That is one of the attractions to me but everyone has their own tastes. I also agree about comments on Tech which was another reason I waited

Some of the pros and cons will also depend on how you drive. the new S has a very flat torque curve and it starts lower. However, at higher revs based on comments both in road tests and from one other on this forum, the GTS as well as sounding better at high revs, has a quicker throttle response. Mind you if you regularly drive either in the UK at high revs you may soon develop a concern for your licence!!

The other difference which affects handing is ride height and Centre of Gravity. A GTS on PASM alone is lower than an S on PASM. An S on air suspension low setting is about the same height as GTS with PASM alone but not as low as GTS with Air on the low setting. Be aware of these differences when test driving and try the various options on test drives. Not having the lowest CoG is my one regret about my new S but I did fit air suspension so lower than PASM S alone.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Simon850

Post by Simon850 »

Thanks everyone for your replies and welcoming me to the forum!

I am more leaning towards the Gen 2 Macan S now as I think having the updated tech outweighs the quieter sound. Although I would get the sports exhaust on it to hopefully give it some extra volume!
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Nice spec although I've never been a fan of the Sports Chrono Pack, I think it looks as if it's just been stuck on the top of the dash as an after thought, but each to their own. PASM and Bose are essentials for me too.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Your purposed spec looks awesome

Personally I would drop S/C too for a SUV. Can’t see it adds anything

Given your colour combo and the fact you’ve gone for dark everything outside , I would look to add the tinted rear light bar
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
rosino

Post by rosino »

To be honest feels to me like Porsche monumentally fu this one... with the emissions meltdown they just had to go with an Audi engine and you can basically tell...

Let’s stop blaming emissions for lack of character of engines, I would encourage you to go and try M40i and 43 AMG. Not to mention M X3 or 63AMG. You can definitely make characterful and nice sounding engines. This time around Porsche just did not have the resources to do it.

So Macan remains probably top of class for dynamic ability and luxury feel blend. But engines are dull. Which is a bit absurd for a Porsche but not so much if you think about the 718 which also comes with a godawful powertrain in non-GT form. Maybe that’s the future unfortunately.

Let’s wait for the Turbo to see if they can at least give some character to the top version.

In terms of tech I am not even that convinced anymore that the .2 version is that much of a step up. Aside from a bigger Nav screen which was overdue anyways the rest is pretty much identical. There’s still no HU Display, no auto-parking, no real autonomous driving tech. All of which you can spec on top of the line BMW and Audi.

So, yes. Still best blend of sport and luxury but not quite the standout product it ought to be at the price. And with no diesel version I would be surprised if the .2 will be the astonishing success that the .1 was. But you should never underestimate the power of the brand and the fact ppl want to be seen in one, no matter if with a 2.0 golf engine and 2010 tech. That doesn’t show in front of the school gates.

Bit cynical but as a long term Porsche owner I would not want to see the brand diluted and VWed to this extent.

Rant over. Hope to take delivery of my Turbo PP this week and report back if that feels like a proper drivetrain or not.
Simon850

Post by Simon850 »

Tracky wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 am Your purposed spec looks awesome

Personally I would drop S/C too for a SUV. Can’t see it adds anything

Given your colour combo and the fact you’ve gone for dark everything outside , I would look to add the tinted rear light bar
I might revisit the configurator and play around some more with the options :D This spec was already my 4th version :|