Clarkson reviews the 2.0 facelift Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

There used to be a load of Clarkson, fan boys on this forum, but I guess not so many now he has dissed the beloved Macan :lol: :lol:

Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Macananon wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:43 am There used to be a load of Clarkson, fan boys on this forum, but I guess not so many now he has dissed the beloved Macan :lol: :lol:
Still a fan! :D

That final episode of GT series 3 was a cracker
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
adam b

Post by adam b »

Me too - he is a good entertainer, I just don't take his views on cars seriously
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
Paul

Post by Paul »

adam b wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:53 pm Me too - he is a good entertainer, I just don't take his views on cars seriously
If you view it as entertainment you can’t go far wrong. Try to apply any degree of seriousness to his comments and you’ll just get annoyed!

I still like the show (or holiday adventures as they have / will become)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

The fact that the underpinnings have not changed dramatically is a case of...if it’s not broken........
If Porsche had have based the underpinnings on the latest Q5 Clarkson would have said he preferred the original, clearly there is no pleasing him. I just see him as a grumpy old man now.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
rosino

Post by rosino »

I mean I read the article. Total garbage in terms of quality of information. He does entertainment and he’s getting more and more grumpy as he gets old, the two combined are not producing great results.

I can understand the comments on the 2.0 being underpowered and the fact it’s no substitute to the 3.0 diesel.. the rest on the chassis is utter shyte.

Yes it is an old base, and yes it has limitations but it’s still a benchmark in its class for comfort/sport compromise. And for the latter I think only the Stelvio Quadrifoglio has it... but with an interior that looks like a cheap imitation of BMWs of 2 generations back.

So all in would not read too much into it aside the confirmation that 2.0 in the UK makes little se se as taxes and price difference are just negligible.
adam b

Post by adam b »

Why does someone think a bottom of the range 2.0 dragging nearly 2 tonnes of SUV is slow if it hits 60 in under 7 seconds? That's hot hatch territory and more than enough for the school run most of these cars do
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
rosino

Post by rosino »

I think you are looking for effortless rather than rapid. Most report that the 4cyl is out of depth with that mass and transmission unless revv’ed hard at which point it becomes strained.

The opposite of used to happen with the diesel that had a mountain of torque at its disposal. Shame Porsche just didn’t wait a bit and just opted for a super clean new gen mild hybrid like found in the new SQ5. That would have suited nicely.

Unless indeed the platform was too old to accommodate it and so they thought we will just skip this round of sales and just wait for electric in a few years.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

rosino wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:30 pm I think you are looking for effortless rather than rapid. Most report that the 4cyl is out of depth with that mass and transmission unless revv’ed hard at which point it becomes strained.

The opposite of used to happen with the diesel that had a mountain of torque at its disposal. Shame Porsche just didn’t wait a bit and just opted for a super clean new gen mild hybrid like found in the new SQ5. That would have suited nicely.

Unless indeed the platform was too old to accommodate it and so they thought we will just skip this round of sales and just wait for electric in a few years.
I gave a 2.0 a mild thrashing the other day. I was impressed. It never sounded strained. In fact it never really sounded of anything. Ok I prefer my 3.0 SD and the 2.0 was much better again in a Golf but it was pretty lively to 3 figures. For a 2.0 in a near two tonne SUV it goes well.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
mjrennie

Post by mjrennie »

Tom 2000 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:36 pm
rosino wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:30 pm I think you are looking for effortless rather than rapid. Most report that the 4cyl is out of depth with that mass and transmission unless revv’ed hard at which point it becomes strained.

I gave a 2.0 a mild thrashing the other day. I was impressed. It never sounded strained. In fact it never really sounded of anything. Ok I prefer my 3.0 SD and the 2.0 was much better again in a Golf but it was pretty lively to 3 figures. For a 2.0 in a near two tonne SUV it goes well.
I have no complaints about mine. Nippy thing.