Diesel costing me ££££

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:01 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:13 am Fuel is fuel so why pay more for the same stuff? Yes, it is the same stuff as ordinary Shell as it has to meet BS standards.
If you believe that you’ll believe anything!
😂😂
Must be a joke...I seriously hope.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S

ianst

Post by ianst »

happy days wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:12 pm Time for new shoes, methinks.
Even without the diesel smell, it's what sketchers deserve

/sneaker snob
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Ray G wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:13 am Fuel is fuel so why pay more for the same stuff? Yes, it is the same stuff as ordinary Shell as it has to meet BS standards.
😂😂
Must be a joke...I seriously hope.
:lol: Noooo! that's like saying its wine and its red so it all tastes the same :lol: Think of your poor engine :evil:

;)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Some years ago when I worked for ICI, it was common to see Tankers from the big fuel providers filling up at Cadishead with 'ICI' petrol.ICI had a refinery on Teeside which was bought by Burmah and recently Gulf oil. I know the Supermarkets buy their fuel from the Rotterdam market but, as the crude has to be refined, the end product is identical save for a few additives for the 'super' stuff. I still fill up with V-power every fourth tank though and you can tell the difference due to the higher cetane rating and additives. You can't mess with Chemistry. Apples from Aldi are apples same as those from Waitrose.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 pm
Some years ago when I worked for ICI, it was common to see Tankers from the big fuel providers filling up at Cadishead with 'ICI' petrol.ICI had a refinery on Teeside which was bought by Burmah and recently Gulf oil. I know the Supermarkets buy their fuel from the Rotterdam market but, as the crude has to be refined, the end product is identical save for a few additives for the 'super' stuff. I still fill up with V-power every fourth tank though and you can tell the difference due to the higher cetane rating and additives. You can't mess with Chemistry. Apples from Aldi are apples same as those from Waitrose.
You can't just go by the tanker that arrives at fuel station. A driver I know well tells me they have separate compartments that are filled with different blends for each destination. Since the additives are the most expensive component, apart from the tax, cutting back on additives is how the supermarkets trim the margins in order to entice customers in. There are many proven accounts of failures of air mass flow meters etc in the fuel system down to continuous use of such fuel.
Even the supermarket fuel will meet British Standards, it has to, but that is a low bar compared with premium fuels nowadays. And you'll always get people who say they've 'always used supermarket fuel and never had a problem', but since 80% of new cars are on PCPs those drivers will probably be passing on the potential issues to subsequent owners.
And I much prefer the apples from Waitrose! :lol:
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Well put Nick. Apples from Waitrose and Super Diesel from Shell and me and my car are happy.
Paul

Post by Paul »

On a similar theme, in France last week I had to fill with BP ultimate (it was the 15th and yet another bank holiday over there!)

I noticed it had the new “E” something or other label suggesting it contained 5% ethanol (still 98 Ron)
Whilst relatively unscientific, I drove to Calais as usual (cruise @ 140..) and on filling in Folkestone with V power my mpg on fuelly was down to 21 from the 24 / 25 I normally see on the same run.
Anyone else ventured across the channel and noticed the same?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Ethanol may affect the calibration sensors that fine-tune the engine - which might account for your loss of MPG.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

You don't have to cross the channel, my local Shell is laced with 'e' now................ E10 is here
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Pacemaker

Post by Pacemaker »

Yuk!
Hate diesels, always have from the earliest smelly ones to new. Got forced into buying one in an Evoque as there was no petrol option and never again.
Porsche played a blinder dumping it for the 2.0T