Diesel costing me ££££

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Guy

Post by Guy »

Pacemaker wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:15 am Porsche played a blinder dumping it for the 2.0T
The two litre has been offered since July 2016, well before they dropped the SD (the latter being the most popular model by far!)

I personally think that the two litre version was introduced primarily as a nod to those countries where the purchase taxes are punitive for larger engines, and it then made sense to offer as a 'bargain basement' model elsewhere ;)

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:03 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:01 pm
If you believe that you’ll believe anything!
Some years ago when I worked for ICI, it was common to see Tankers from the big fuel providers filling up at Cadishead with 'ICI' petrol.ICI had a refinery on Teeside which was bought by Burmah and recently Gulf oil. I know the Supermarkets buy their fuel from the Rotterdam market but, as the crude has to be refined, the end product is identical save for a few additives for the 'super' stuff. I still fill up with V-power every fourth tank though and you can tell the difference due to the higher cetane rating and additives. You can't mess with Chemistry. Apples from Aldi are apples same as those from Waitrose.
You can't just go by the tanker that arrives at fuel station. A driver I know well tells me they have separate compartments that are filled with different blends for each destination. Since the additives are the most expensive component, apart from the tax, cutting back on additives is how the supermarkets trim the margins in order to entice customers in. There are many proven accounts of failures of air mass flow meters etc in the fuel system down to continuous use of such fuel.
Even the supermarket fuel will meet British Standards, it has to, but that is a low bar compared with premium fuels nowadays. And you'll always get people who say they've 'always used supermarket fuel and never had a problem', but since 80% of new cars are on PCPs those drivers will probably be passing on the potential issues to subsequent owners.
And I much prefer the apples from Waitrose! :lol:
Ho Ho and I had a driver tell me that they deliver directly to BP and Texaco stations in the North of England. Ethanol at 5% has been in UK fuel for a few years now so I can't see how being in France with 5% Ethanol makes a blind bit of difference regarding mpg, probably a heavy right foot does.Last night on Tv a Chef cooked a meal for some 'Middle Class' Waitrose shoppers and they had to pick out which food was from Aldi and which from Waitrose. Some stuck wozzack said this and that couldn't be from Aldi and therefore it was from Waitrose. It was all from Aldi much to their embarrassment. Red wine isn't produced in one vineyard or even the same country so that argument isn't an argument. Just accept that you're paying for Shells advertising and sponsorship. Tests have proven their 'normal' fuel is no better than Supermarket fuel. Oh BTW, Shell don't have any refineries in the UK anymore so I guess you believe they chuck the additives in a massive stock tank and ship it out having bought the fuel from one one of the six in the UK including the Ineous former ICI one. You believe what you want to believe, even that a 2lt petrol Macan can live with a Diesel Macan between 30 and 70 mph. Oh and Sketchers are very comfortable and apparently trendy which is a good enough reason to ditch them.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^^
Blimey!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Too much for me to handle there except to say that Shell buy their two grades to a specific standard and ship their (highly expensive to research and develop) additives to be injected at the distribution terminals. I’ll stick with what I know i.e. that Shell is as good as any and better than most.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
ianst

Post by ianst »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 pm Oh and Sketchers are very comfortable and apparently trendy which is a good enough reason to ditch them.
:lol:
They're on the same level of trendiness as crocs
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

ianst wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:21 pm
Cheshire Cat wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 pm Oh and Sketchers are very comfortable and apparently trendy which is a good enough reason to ditch them.
:lol:
They're on the same level of trendiness as crocs
I wouldn't know. I am clean shaven , have hair on my head (just) and my Jeans are intact without any rips. I buy what I want and not what others deem to be 'trendy' or the best. I must admit I had to Google 'Crocs' and was amazed that people actually wear them. They are like the horrible plastic sandal things I had as a kid.

Spoke to a friend who was an engineer at Stanlow Refinery once owned by Shell and he confirmed that all the fuel comes from the same tank and is blended elsewhere. That was five or so years ago. Keep giving Shell money to sponsor Ferrari, they need it. Meanwhile, I'll give them money every fourth fill, about 1500 miles, for their good stuff.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Well, at least you support your argument 75% of the time😉
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Another vote for Shell V-Power from Litchfield Motors. They got 450hp from a 992 Carrera S on normal unleaded petrol and 475hp on V-Power! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Esso Super Plus, Total Excellium and BP Ultimate are 97 RON whereas Shell V-Power is 99. Tesco Momentum is also 99 RON but Tesco use more ethanol which may affect the calibration sensors that fine-tune the engine.

RON (Research Octane Number) is a guide to the acceleration behaviour of the engine whereas MON (Motor Octane Number) is a guide to high temperature, high speed operation of the engine (e.g. motorway cruising): RON is quoted at the pumps but MON is not. The specification for the MON is a maximum of 10 less than the RON (this is the "sensitivity") so would be a minimum of 85 for standard fuel, 87 for Esso, Total and BP, and 89 for Shell and Tesco. Pick your driving style and your typical journey and then pick your fuel.

Litchfield picked their driving style, their typical journey and then got their fuel right 😂😂
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Litchfield’s driving style & typical journey was giving it full beans on their dyno! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018