1st world problem - choosing a Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Clive

Post by Clive »

This will be a lot of text so I’ll split it into two. The 1st post being my likely option choices. The 2nd being how to purchase. Even if I don’t get feedback this process helps me decide my way forward so please bear with me!

My preferred Macan S config so far:

White (solid) , Silver or JetBlack Metallic
Black leather smooth finish (or brave garnet with JetBlack paint)
Pano Roof
Roof rails (black)
Side window trims in black
PASM
75l fuel tank
Power steering plus
20 inch Turbo wheels black gloss
Tinted LED tail lights
ParkAssist with 360 camera
14-way seats
Seat heating – front
Smoking package
Dashboard trim in leather

Total £60,488

Options I’ve missed? Any views appreciated.

I’m not keen on privacy glass though on a 2nd hand car I could live with it. I don’t care for it because to me it smacks of celeb culture, can make a car look like a van and it’s less safe due to restricted vison. Heated steering wheel? I don’t commute so don’t drive when it’s super cold usually and winters are warm anyway now…

Bose? I’m not bothered about sound in the car – strange perhaps as I’m a hi-fi geek.

I’ve driven an S on PASM and 21 inch wheels. Superb ride and handling. Ride was better in Sport as Comfort had a slight rocking motion over bumps. I don’t believe I need extra comfort from Air and indeed suspect it might not be as tight as PASM in Sport mode.

My alternative is 2 litre, which I need to test drive. My heart is with an S and let’s face it this is an emotional decision. But….handling is more important to me than outright speed so it could be a 2 litre is better (and less expensive).

2 litre - a more economical spec:

White
Black standard interior / Std seats
Pano roof
18 inch Macan S wheels
PASM
75 l fuel tank
Power Steering Plus
ParkAssist with reversing camera
Tinted LED taillights
Seat heating (front)
Smoking package

Total £50,755

In isolation 18 inch wheels look fine, the S wheels are nicer to my eye. Less curb risk than big wheels – will they handle as well – will turn-in be a good? Better in poor weather, better comfort, less absolute grip.

Is the 2 litre really an option? I'll just have a to drive one.
Last edited by Clive on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clive

Post by Clive »

Having looked at PCP for the Macan S it’s a non-starter due to the £10k finance cost over 4 years.

Cheaper finance is available though I might as well simply buy outright as I have enough liquid funds. To justify such a purchase I need to tell myself that I’ll keep the car for 7 to 10 years. This would be a car taking me into retirement and then into my 70s. My car after that would likely be an EV run-about.

I could buy a 2 year old car instead of new, there are many good specs around. Maybe a GTS. These aren’t that much cheaper though. The OPC adds about £10k onto the price they buy the car for to cover warranty extension, 111 point check, VAT, margin. Nearly new cars look to cost the same as new ones.

Is buying new best and is keeping a Macan for 10 years sensible?
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Clive, you should drive 2.0 and 3.0 to compare.

I took 3.0 not because of terminal velocity [emoji38] but rather to enjoy more torque at lower rpm.
If you like to drive on higher rpm, 2.0 will be very capable. I drive with lower rpm and I enjoy the torque when I want to put foot down, without gearing down and revving up. Then again, PDK is excellent and learns your prefs anyway. Go for a drive before you decide.

I will keep my Macan S for as long as I am on the island.
If I was you I would enjoy it for 10 glorious years and then move to an autonomous EV that you can bark orders at from the comfort of the back seat [emoji3166]
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

Heated Steering wheel - has been superb in our current car!

Here’s what I’m going for, in case it helps. Soon to place an order hopefully:

Macan 2.0

Volcano Grey Metallic
21 inch RS Spyder Design Alloys
14-way memory seats, Black Leather
Panoramic roof
Park Assist (Front and Rear) incl. rear camera
Front Heated windscreen
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Privacy Glass
Sports tailpipes in black
Collapsible spare wheel
PASM
Power Assist Plus
Current:
997.2 C2S, Meteor Grey, PDK (with paddles), PSE, Sports Chrono, etc.... (2009)
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0
MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

Hi Clive,

I have a 2.0ltr and haven't been disappointed, it has a surprising amount of grunt and fits my round town driving perfectly. On the motorway it has served me well too.

I'm planning on keeping mine for some time, I do love it and while I still have the need to carry my mountain bike around (and ferry children) it is the perfect option. When I'm too old to throw myself down mountains I'll trade it in and get a 911 to carry me into my retirement. :lol:
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019
pmg

Post by pmg »

Clive

You seem to be in a very similar situation to myself, retired and fond of keeping a car a reasonable period. I drove both base and S and fought the better drivability and refinement of S well worth the extra cost. Your S spec is not too dissimilar to mine. My main addition being air suspension to the exclusion of pano roof which I would not use. I find surround-view very useful.

Having driven Macans on both 20's and 19's I definitely prefer the better handling response of 20's and hence would not spec 18's even on the 2.0.

Personally, on the colours, you are considering I quite like the red in the rear light bar so would not go tinted, I actually think that is a misdescription and would call the option "colourless". I would spend this money on lane change assist which is a blessing on modern motorways

The collapsible spare wheel is cheaper if included in initial spec and increases options if type damage. I carry a sealant kit, in addition, to have all options covered.

I can see my S being my last ICE car and I long term keep. to preserve it, I may reserve it for long journeys buying a small pure EV hatch for short runs which do ICE's more harm than good as they never get fully warm.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

I tend to feel your two options make sense Clive. Either a lightly specced 2.0 base or, in your case, a reasonably specced 3.0 S. I see too many base models loaded with extras, where the money would be better spent just buying the S model in the first place, and getting the 3.0 engine. My biggest bugbear is base models specced up to look like something they aren't - especially ones with sports design kits, 21" wheels and sports exhaust tips (but not the actual sports exhaust)! All show and no go. That said, a number of dealers have specced up base models as demonstrators and (last year) obviously the S wasn't available. However, now the S is available, I tend to feel new orders for the base model should be kept lightweight. Otherwise get the S, as the extra cost is less than some people spend upgrading the wheels on their base car...
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Re wheels, as you increase size on the Macan, you decrease the comfort. But generally increase the handling from a cornering perspective. There's also three types of suspension: standard, PASM and air. So four wheel sizes and three suspension options gives 12 permutations! Out of these, the most uncomfortable is 21" wheels on standard suspension. I've no idea why people go for that. Maybe I'm getting old and hate all the bumps in UK roads! Personally I've found 20" with PASM an extremely good set up. However next time I'd be tempted to try 20" with air. I'd never ever take 21" with standard suspension - I've driven one and found it terrible (in comparison). Of course many people will disagree....
Current - Macan III GTS
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^ remembering of course that air includes PASM. Being a bit picky, strictly speaking there are two types of suspension, coil spring and air springs. Coil spring suspended cars are standard but PASM can be added as an option.

I have 20" wheels on air and the ride is great for a car of this type and performance. I normally run in the lowered and sport settings on the suspension as it tightens up the slightly softer base setting which can feel a tiny bit floaty sometimes.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

^^^ Was keeping it simple, but thanks Nick! So 1) coil without PASM, 2) coil with PASM, 3) air with PASM.

Your setup and the way you use it is what I'm thinking for next time. If there is a next time...
Current - Macan III GTS