Parking Macan in garage

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
KevT89

Post by KevT89 »

I have recently bought a Macan DS and am mystified by a problem I have when parking up to my garage rear wall (or up to my garage doors when closed). As I gently approach the rear wall I get a sensation that I'm trying to push through some invisible barrier and not wanting to accelerate too hard and suddenly jump into the wall I usually finish up about 2-3 feet from the wall.

I've tried turning off the ACC and front & rear sensors (which seem extremely sensitive and sometimes fire when least expected in traffic.....but thats another story!) to no avail.
I had a 3ltr Jaguar XFS before the Macan which had no similar problems at all. I could park right up to the garage wall (even touch it if required .....although the front sensors would be going crazy!)
Can other Macan owners kindly confirm whether this is a known problem please and if so, can whatever causes it be switched off or adjusted.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I don’t think it’s anything to do with sensors or even your garage. I just think it’s a very difficult car to creep.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
subaxtreme

Post by subaxtreme »

That PDK gearbox is by no means perfect-especially in reverse. I find the 'regular' 8 speed box in the Cayenne much easier to live with for day to day driving
Stephen
Cayenne S Diesel
Sold: Macan SD
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^
Creeping is nigh on impossible, I had to reverse parallel park my GTS up a very steep hill in Bristol last week.

What with the revs, the hold function coming on, more revs to take it off, but without roaring into the car behind it was quite a faff! (and worse with the diesel)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
happy days

Post by happy days »

Yes it is a PITA.
Macan S D
718 S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Not sure if it becomes easier with practice.

I have been reversing into my (very tight for space) garage for 4 years now. I just ignore the sensors and it goes in fairly smoothly.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Paul wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 am ^^
Creeping is nigh on impossible, I had to reverse parallel park my GTS up a very steep hill in Bristol last week.

What with the revs, the hold function coming on, more revs to take it off, but without roaring into the car behind it was quite a faff! (and worse with the diesel)
When visiting my parents I have to reverse up a steep gravel drive. It's always a palaver, and once parked I have to grab a rake and put all the gravel back when it started before being churned up by my car!
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

I sometimes stick the car in Sports Plus when manouvering into garage. Due to the higher revs, car creeps a bit better without needing the accelerator. Otherwise I feel the car's got a minimum distance it wants to travel - which is about a foot!

Also bear in mind that if we're having this problem, then anyone we park too close to may also have this issue! It's probably a fairly common feature with automatic cars.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
KevT89

Post by KevT89 »

Thanks for all the replies.

I find it hard to believe that a car costing as much as the Macan and with the reputation of German engineering that Porsche has is not able to gently edge forward when parking or in slow moving traffic. (One of the absolute basic functions of any car I would have thought!!) After over 50 years of driving everything from 1 litre to 3 litre cars I have never ever come across this problem in any other car marque before?

Paul & Scotmac. Thank you very much. I'll give the reverse parking a try.....luckily I've just had a new double size garage door fitted so plenty of room to back in.
PaulR. Thanks also.....I'll give Sport+ a try. All of my cars since 1980 (Ford Granadas, Jaguars, Lexus, Toyota Supra etc) have been auto but never had this problem.

I'm totally amazed that this forum isn't brim full of complaints about this problem if it's as common as replies suggest.

Wondering if I did the right thing changing to the Macan?
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^
The problem with any modern DSG / PDK (or whatever the manufacturer term might be)

Edging forward on tick-over isn’t an issue for me in traffic, or parking on the flat; its the slight lurch when going backwards uphill that is the common issue and typical of the new double clutch system where no drive exists until the revs are raised.

(If you’re brave enough, try covering off the brake with your left foot to control the speed whilst accelerating - try it outdoors first😉)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465