Top tech quirks!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

I’m not new to Porsche but there was an updated PCM in my new MY20 Macan S, together with Apple CarPlay - which I’ve never had before (it links to my iPhone 7). Initially I found this tech a bit challenging to get on top of - but I’m getting there.

There’s a lot which is cool about using the new PCM and CarPlay, however below I’m mostly covering a few of the more unexpected and (imho) not particularly intuitive things I’ve encountered so far. No doubt much of this will already be second nature to some - but hopefully might be helpful to others.

Porsche ID
It seems this version of the PCM won’t remember your Porsche ID (so by default you can’t access favourite destinations including home). You have to reset it by pressing a few buttons (but not any password) every trip where want to access your destinations. Although straightforward, it’s a somewhat bizarre piece of software design.

Bluetooth
Operation of both Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay is not simultaneously possible. In fact, if you use a function which invokes a Bluetooth connection to your iPhone (like making a phone call via the PCM ), then the Apple CarPlay icon disappears from the PCM screen. This confused me a lot to start with! You can however easily re-enable CarPlay when you need it, via something called the Device Manager.

iPhone connection
You don’t now need a cable to physically connect your iPhone to your car - it will run Apple CarPlay wirelessly. You can of course connect your phone in the armrest in order to charge it - a USB-C to lightning cable is required.

Apparently you do not get better reception if you put your smartphone in the armrest (this function is currently disabled by Porsche).

Voice
There’s two alternative ways of doing a number of functions - and launching voice control is an example. A short press on the voice button invokes the PCM voice control, whereas a longer press launches Siri (the Apple voice recognition tool).

Nav
So for example, if you do a short press, as say “Take me home”, up comes the PCM Nav, with its widescreen Google Earth map. Whereas if you do a longer press, and say “Take me home”, it will launch Apple Maps navigation, with its more conventional map.

Screen orientation
Whilst it’s nice that the new PCM screen is bigger, it occurs to me that portrait might have been better than landscape. Having extra width on the map is not necessarily helpful, because that’s not generally the direction of travel. And for CarPlay, portrait would more logically emulate the natural orientation of a smartphone.

Phone calls
There are two ways of making phone calls, and you have to tell the car which you want to use on each trip (PCM or CarPlay). CarPlay allows you to use the touchscreen to make calls, as if it were your phone. If you choose PCM for calls, it uses a Bluetooth connection, so it disables CarPlay (see above). I find it best to stick with CarPlay, although you can’t then make calls using the right hand thumb wheel on the steering wheel.

PCM Home Screen
You can configure the layout of the PCM home screen to suit your preferences. i.e. arrange a layout of buttons for the functions you use the most. Similarly, you can edit the layout of the CarPlay home screen, i.e. the arrangement of the available icons from your phone. Not all apps from your iPhone will appear - only those designed to be CarPlay compatible.

Despite some of the above ‘quirks’, I am slowly getting to grips with the tech, and actually quite enjoying it. It’s a case of working out which of the the functions you actually need, and finding a preferred way to do each one.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman

ianst

Post by ianst »

I don't like how waze doen't go full screen
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
dvearn

Post by dvearn »

Have you run your 'challenges' past the Dealer for their guidance - I wonder whether they have any suggestions for addresses/bypassing any?
I'm still waiting for my car, so can't help, yet. But apparently the Dealer offers as many 'masterclasses" as you need to help get the best from your porker
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

dvearn wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 pm Have you run your 'challenges' past the Dealer for their guidance - I wonder whether they have any suggestions for addresses/bypassing any?
I'm still waiting for my car, so can't help, yet. But apparently the Dealer offers as many 'masterclasses" as you need to help get the best from your porker
Yes I did have a Masterclass which was helpful and provided some of the info in my post. My sales guy was pretty good in that he is open to me sending any further technical queries to him.

I also had a bit of a moan to Porsche Connect helpdesk about Porsche ID not being saved which they have noted.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Hello Makanik, you probably already know this, but just in case ....

I have just logged in to my Porsche ID on the computer and it's a bit new.
Under the Connect Vehicle / pairing code it now asks that I create a 4 -digit pin, just like for a mobile phone / iPad, etc..
Perhaps that's the step you're missing? So every time you get in the car you just need to enter the pin, I assume.

Porsche Connect.JPG

Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Col M

Post by Col M »

My PCM just announced there were delays of 1097653 hours on my journey... That's Highland roads I guess?
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble