Lack of transparency on service regime

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
happy days

Post by happy days »

Many years ago I worked for a VAG dealer. At the time, computer driven service intervals were just coming into being, prior to that it was time/mileage bound. The dealership had the option to set whether the service interval generated by sensors or time and distance.

I winder if the same is true these days? My 718 asked for a service at 2 years old (about 17k miles) the McCann asks for a service every 20k (much higher mileage).
Macan S D
718 S

Guy

Post by Guy »

My 2015 SD has just had its 4 year major service - now showing 2 years for next oil change and minor service. It does say 10,600 miles also for next oil, but that usually increases as I use it so that it coincides with the 2 year point.
Paul

Post by Paul »

happy days wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:08 am Many years ago I worked for a VAG dealer. At the time, computer driven service intervals were just coming into being, prior to that it was time/mileage bound. The dealership had the option to set whether the service interval generated by sensors or time and distance.

I winder if the same is true these days? My 718 asked for a service at 2 years old (about 17k miles) the McCann asks for a service every 20k (much higher mileage).
Certainly still true on VW / Audi product today. I guess any “common” Audi sourced engine (without opening THAT debate again!) will be on variable / extended servicing; ie oil quality measuring.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Paul wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:47 am
happy days wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:08 am Many years ago I worked for a VAG dealer. At the time, computer driven service intervals were just coming into being, prior to that it was time/mileage bound. The dealership had the option to set whether the service interval generated by sensors or time and distance.

Certainly still true on VW / Audi product today. I guess any “common” Audi sourced engine (without opening THAT debate again!) will be on variable / extended servicing; ie oil quality measuring.
When you buy an Audi they ask about your expected usage and put it on an appropriate time based or condition based service regime. At 12k miles pa on mainly long journeys, I was on condition based and it had its first service at 19k miles. However I know people who were doing 8k a year, on predominantly short journeys, who were put on time based (annual) servicing....
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^

True, for some dealerships but less so for (many) others.

I knew more about the servicing regimes than the salesman when we bought Mrs P’s TTS 18 months ago and had to call the service manager over to get the correct coding booked for the PDI; QG1 is (was) the default, so unless it’s requested that’s how it will stay.

Back to the OP, a but more info, albeit dated below.....

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_224.pdf
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Isleaiw wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:27 pm When you buy an Audi they ask about your expected usage and put it on an appropriate time based or condition based service regime.
I've never really understood why Audi and others do this. You shouldn't have to explain to the dealer how to plan to use your new car, for them to preset the service regime. A car should be clever enough these days to work out how it's being used and therefore when its service is due. It should simply be a condition based service, which will of course include time based elements in the algorithm.

I don't want to make the wrong decision when I buy the car, and therefore find I've paid over the odds for services the car wasn't really needing. (Or vice versa - not get services when they were due.)
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

PaulR wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:48 am
I've never really understood why Audi and others do this. You shouldn't have to explain to the dealer how to plan to use your new car, for them to preset the service regime. A car should be clever enough these days to work out how it's being used and therefore when its service is due. It should simply be a condition based service, which will of course include time based elements in the algorithm.

I don't want to make the wrong decision when I buy the car, and therefore find I've paid over the odds for services the car wasn't really needing. (Or vice versa - not get services when they were due.)
+1. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
happy days

Post by happy days »

Isleaiw wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:27 pm When you buy an Audi they ask about your expected usage and put it on an appropriate time based or condition based service regime.

Plus - when you sell it on, the second owner will probably have very different habits to you!
Macan S D
718 S
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Just couldnt resist highlighting that part given you have a Porsche...

My Audi cost £450 in servicing in 2 years and 22k miles... I am going to break that on my BMW in 1200 miles!
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Interestingly, after 2 weeks ownership, and putting a few hundred miles on the clock, the service indicator on my S has changed significantly.

It’s now showing the oil change service to be due more or less coincident with the two year intermediate service.

So it doesn’t look like it will need an oil change after 12 months after all (whereas my previous 2 litre Macan did).
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman