Carrying surf / paddleboards

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MacanFor911GTS

Post by MacanFor911GTS »

As per the thread title, what’s the best equipment to buy to carry surf or paddleboards?

I’ve got roof bars on my Macan but have never carried stuff on any of my cars for fear of getting scratches or wear marks.

Same with bikes... do you carry them up top safely or on the tow bar (that’s another 1,800 for me :cry: )

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

If I'm on my own my surf kit fits inside. If travelling with my other half I use a roof rack. Bikes always go insider.
MacanFor911GTS

Post by MacanFor911GTS »

... but what straps etc do you use to hold down the surf board and does it mark the roof or roof bars?

How do you guarantee or what precautions do you take to ensure it won’t mark the car?
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

MacanFor911GTS wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:31 pm ... but what straps etc do you use to hold down the surf board and does it mark the roof or roof bars?

How do you guarantee or what precautions do you take to ensure it won’t mark the car?
Hi Mate, Got roof bars on mine which I use at times. More recently to carry some boards of 18mm Birch Plywood. I purchased some small ratchet straps from Screwfix. Taking care when strapping them up, not to let the metal part come into contact with the roof, or let them dangle down the sides. And wrapping the loose ends, however many times around the bars, to ensure there is hardly any loose webbing flapping around. Those straps can be tightened so much it's unbelieveable.
MacanFor911GTS

Post by MacanFor911GTS »

Fab - is it these ones?

https://www.screwfix.com/c/auto-cleaning/ratchet-straps-lashing/cat810012
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

MacanFor911GTS wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 pm Fab - is it these ones?

https://www.screwfix.com/c/auto-cleaning/ratchet-straps-lashing/cat810012
That's the ones, mate. They are damn good.
MacanFor911GTS

Post by MacanFor911GTS »

Just another question, I take it that as well as the roof rails, you have some roof bars or the Porsche ‘roof transport system’?

Sorry, new to this - never carried anything on the roof of any of my cars before!
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

No problems. Yes, some three years ago since I speck'd roof rails. But I have a pair of Porsche roof bars that fit on them. Can't remeber if they were included with the rails. They just take a couple of minutes to fit on. All the corners are marked on the bars, corresponding to where to place them on the rails. And they came with a storage bag.
I haven't needed to put my bike aloft as yet, but should it be needed, there is a transport system that fits on these bars, for that. But the bars alone, should be OK for carrying your boards.