New Macan Out in 2021

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

johnd wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 pm
Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:13 pm ...as we do not have the infrastructure to accommodate them.
What does that mean??? We have plenty of generating capacity; the distribution network is being updated all the time; and there is an extensive roll-out of rapid chargers under way.

So for 50-60% of car owners, I don't see how 'infrastructure' is any sort of barrier to EV adoption over the next 5-10 years. For the remainder, who cannot easily charge at home or at work and who live some distance from any rapid charger then yes adoption will be slower, but solutions will emerge.
That's my point, not everyone cab charge at home or work. Sure, solutions will emerge, but they're not fully here now, and they are certainly a long way from those that haven't got £30K or more to buy one.
Last edited by Bazza06 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Government to bring banning of fossil fuel new car sales forward to 2035

An interesting read:
https://www.petrolprices.com/news/ban-on-petrol-diesel-engines-could-be-sooner-than-we-think/
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:13 pm
What I would prefer and be grateful to are those wanting a cleaner planet do so by not clogging up the cities by sitting on the streets bringing people and vehicles to a standstill creating even greater levels of pollution.
I think the point is that pretty much everyone would prefer their city centres to be less polluted than they currently are and that is simply not going to happen without significant change. Moving to EVs is just one of many things that needs to change. At the moment it is really not happening anything like fast enough to solve the problems. At least younger generations appear to be taking more notice.

Calling EVs a "fashion item" on a Porsche forum is pretty ironic too.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:13 pm
What I would prefer and be grateful to are those wanting a cleaner planet do so by not clogging up the cities by sitting on the streets bringing people and vehicles to a standstill creating even greater levels of pollution.
I think the point is that pretty much everyone would prefer their city centres to be less polluted than they currently are and that is simply not going to happen without significant change. Moving to EVs is just one of many things that needs to change. At the moment it is really not happening anything like fast enough to solve the problems. At least younger generations appear to be taking more notice.

Calling EVs a "fashion item" on a Porsche forum is pretty ironic too.
Younger generations won't have a choice, they won't know any different and that's good, nobody wants to be brought up in filth.

Is Porsche or any similar luxury car make fashionable? Desirable, maybe.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Deleted User 1874

Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:39 pm
johnd wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 pm
Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:13 pm ...as we do not have the infrastructure to accommodate them.
What does that mean??? We have plenty of generating capacity; the distribution network is being updated all the time; and there is an extensive roll-out of rapid chargers under way.

So for 50-60% of car owners, I don't see how 'infrastructure' is any sort of barrier to EV adoption over the next 5-10 years. For the remainder, who cannot easily charge at home or at work and who live some distance from any rapid charger then yes adoption will be slower, but solutions will emerge.
That's my point, not everyone cab charge at home or work. Sure, solutions will emerge, but they're not fully here now, and they are certainly a long way from those that haven't got £30K or more to buy one.
His point was that the current take-up of EVs is still WAY below any potential limitations of infrastructure. The reality is that the infrastructure will always grow to match the demand as it does with ICE filling stations. Which is precisely what is happening today, although there will inevitably be some degree of short term lag.
Deleted User 1874

Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:51 pm
Is Porsche or any similar luxury car make fashionable? Desirable, maybe.
Well they are certainly status symbols. The percentage of what you would call driving "enthusiasts" is very low, although there will likely be a disproportionate amount of them on forums like this. I think EVs are more of a lifestyle choice than a "fashion" item too. You have to realise that they are actually more practical for some usage patterns - stop/start city driving being one of them.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Bazza06 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 am
The Taycan looks great but £115K for the base model and then another god knows how many thousands in extras to drive a Porsche that sounds like a milk float on warp speed? No thanks.
Just to point out that £115k is not the base model. It’s the Turbo, so near the top of the tree. The next Taycan to be launched is likely to be the 4S. When the ‘base model’ Taycan is launched, I expect that to be about two thirds of the price of the Turbo. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

We (UK) DO NOT have the generating capacity for EV, hell we don't have the capacity for a cold winter...................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
johnd

Post by johnd »

bennachie wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:29 pm We (UK) DO NOT have the generating capacity for EV, hell we don't have the capacity for a cold winter...................
1. Most EV charging will occur overnight, ie the low demand period when, almost by definition, there is spare capacity, whatever the peak demand;

2. During the next 5-10 years (and beyond) we can build whatever extra capacity might be needed to provide for demand from substantially increased EV use (predicted extra generating demand actually isn't much, if anything, depending on which analysis you read). There just isn't going to be a massive increase in generating demand.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

bennachie wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:29 pm We (UK) DO NOT have the generating capacity for EV, hell we don't have the capacity for a cold winter...................
+1. It only took a lightning strike to destabalise the grid and cause short term chaos. In the "good old days" of the CEGB there was 25% spare capacity, now it's around4%. Because of the high proportion of renewables as a source of supply, the grid is less resiliant in the face of short term demand fluctuations.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel