1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

johnd wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:01 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:19 am I think this issue, well known recharcheables, has not dawned yet on most people.
Isn't that more to do with the fact that it's not true? (At least not to the extent in the example quoted here.)

Most batteries will lose a tiny (eg 3 to 5%) proportion of their capacity early on but thereafter and (provided the battery is not totally abused) any further decline is extremely slow and gradual. Virtually every EV maker guarantees that at least 70-75% capacity will remain at 8 years and that's widely regarded as being very pessimistic - where high mileage cars have been carefully checked they typically show 90+% capacity at 100,000 miles.

If the example quoted here is confirmed then that sounds like an issue to be resolved under warranty with Nissan (who it has to be said, don't have the best reputation for their battery technology).
It's bound to affect used sales ultimately. It's also one of the reasons I think fuel cell technology will eventually take over.
Most unlikely (for EVs at least) - there are just too many issues and drawbacks.
That maybe partly the case but this is my second one where the battery has deteriorated and that one was just two years old.

There was one on top gear not so long ago where they claimed the range was just 34 miles fully charged (smaller battery version which would have given 100 miles at the outset)

My first one was upside down to the tune of c£4K at the end of two years with just 9k miles on it.

This one is upside down too although not by as much
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
johnd

Post by johnd »

Tracky wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:17 am
That maybe partly the case but this is my second one where the battery has deteriorated and that one was just two years old.

There was one on top gear not so long ago where they claimed the range was just 34 miles fully charged (smaller battery version which would have given 100 miles at the outset)
I don't know too much about Leafs specifically - it may be that Nissan have a particular battery issue (which wouldn't surprise me given their reputation), but it's not true of EVs like Teslas more generally.
My first one was upside down to the tune of c£4K at the end of two years with just 9k miles on it.
I don't know what that means
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Tracky wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:35 pm I’d like to throw in an issue with <del> electric cars </del> Nissan Leafs that I am seeing with my own now
FTFY
wilko

Post by wilko »

I’ve got multiple hybrids on my company fleet, and all of them seem to loose roughly half their battery capacity over the first 2 years.
They all get 2 full charges 5 days a week, as they all commute far enough to empty the batteries. So something around 500-600 charge cycles.
They’re from bmw,Mercedes, Mitsubishi and vw, and some have had new batteries in warranty inside 2 years.
Not surprisingly the business will only lease these cars, whereas we have traditionally bought
Now in a leaf 500-600 cycles is something between 40,000 miles and 50,000 miles.
In a Tesla this is >100,000 miles.

Full electric vehicles at 6+ years old, and 50,000 miles plus are far too unproven for me or a lot of the market to touch them.
Look at the price of Renault Zoe’s used. You can’t give the. away
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
pmg

Post by pmg »

wilko wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:35 pm I’ve got multiple hybrids on my company fleet, and all of them seem to loose roughly half their battery capacity over the first 2 years.
They all get 2 full charges 5 days a week, as they all commute far enough to empty the batteries. So something around 500-600 charge cycles.
They’re from bmw,Mercedes, Mitsubishi and vw, and some have had new batteries in warranty inside 2 years.
Not surprisingly the business will only lease these cars, whereas we have traditionally bought
Now in a leaf 500-600 cycles is something between 40,000 miles and 50,000 miles.
In a Tesla this is >100,000 miles.

Full electric vehicles at 6+ years old, and 50,000 miles plus are far too unproven for me or a lot of the market to touch them.
Look at the price of Renault Zoe’s used. You can’t give the. away
The solution for Zoe owners is to as permitted buy the car net of battery and rent the battery which is replaced if it falls a set capacity on recharge
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Hmmmnn, battery breakthrough only reported by 'The Mail on Sunday'................................... a bit like the upcoming hard winter no doubt......
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
wilko

Post by wilko »

pmg wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:24 pm

The solution for Zoe owners is to as permitted buy the car net of battery and rent the battery which is replaced if it falls a set capacity on recharge

Yes but Zoe battery rental cost more than putting petrol in an equivalent car
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I agree Technology is part of business, but I stand by my assertion that face to face is always best. Relationships cannot be built over a Skype call. As for EV's, range will be an issue for certain users such as the emergency services. Now they can call in at a garage and fill up in 5 minutes with fuel and sausage rolls. An EV would be an hour minimum and a three course meal. Fat Coppers would be the outcome!
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-tokyo-motor-show/toyota-reveal-solid-state-battery-powered-car-next-year.

They are coming.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.